Beverages Ran Out in SIA flights

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)

• TS-Andy
    Participant

Have anyone had experience in your flight that your favorite beverage ran out? I had on two occasions on SIA’s business class flight where sparkling water (Perrier) ran out early into the flight, one of which was a mid-haul flight and the other a long-haul flight.
    Om my recent the long-haul flight (LAX- SIN first leg to Seoul ), I did ask the in-flight supervisor why the sparkling water had ran out early into the flight. The answer given was that they only load 5 cans of Perrier sparkling water. That to me was untenable for a premium cabin which was almost full and long haul. I could count; there were over 30 business class passengers on that flight and I have not included the first class cabin. I have given feedback and the crucial part of SIA’s reply was:
    “We wish to assure you that our Inflight Services team has been kept apprised of your comments which will be taken into consideration in their on-going reviews of the quantity of every food and beverage item to be uplifted on our flights, taking into consideration payload issues as well.”
    So all long it has been a “payload issue”. To me this mind-set of reply is unsatisfactory.

TominScotland
    Participant

Absolutely unacceptable. Had it been me, I would have got up and left the plane immediately.

esselle
    Participant

I would have expected Badoit frankly.

capetonianm
    Participant

Which is more important? Operating the flight efficiently, safely, and economically by controlling the payload, or pandering to the whims of each and every passenger by massively overstocking on beverages?

Anyway, Perrier is very downmarket and plebeian. I’d have been upset if they’d run out of San Pellegrino.

canucklad
    Participant

Once on an Air France flight from HKG back to CDG they ran out of……………

Wine !!!!!!!

Mon dieu et Sacre bleu

TS-Andy
    Participant

Yes, down market “Perrier” but my preference. Since it is down market, the carrier should stock more. I don’t think SIA carry any San Pellegrino at a or Badoit on board. The next alternative the carrier offered me was Schweppes.

Yes, for efficiency, safety, economy, and nothing else one can go for LCC. Thanks for the reminder, Capetonianm and back to basics.

capetonianm
    Participant

Your snarky reply overlooks one of the fundamentals of airline operations, namely containment of costs. It is not only LCCs which do this, and for the record I avoid LCCs in general, although some (EZY for example) are better than many legacy carriers.

Edski777
    Participant

Oh, all those first world horrors. How can we go on living like this? Being downgraded to fly Business class and running out of sparkling water. Even if the plane crashed immediately afterwards life couldn’t get worse.
    Sitting next to someone nagging about the running out of what seemed like her sixth helping of warm nuts I realized why you can’t open an airplane window: I’d thrown her out.
    Complain to the airline, make their day!

TominScotland
    Participant

Pity you were not flying to Europe because this sounds like a watertight or cut and dry case for EC261 compensation…..

FrDougal
    Participant

There are no words!

AlanOrton1
    Participant

I can see why the OP asked the question in flight, as to why they’d run out of sparkling water. I don’t think its unreasonable to enquire. I think Andy’s been given a bit of a rough ride here as well.

That said, I would have left it alone and not brought it up post flight, as I suspect any airline’s standard response isn’t going to offer any real remedy.

Serena
    Participant

The safety of passengers surely must be only and first priority of the carriers.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=818656]The safety of passengers surely must be only and first priority of the carriers.

[/quote]

They tend to go bankrupt if they follow that policy.

TS-Andy
    Participant

[quote quote=818656]The safety of passengers surely must be only and first priority of the carriers.

[/quote]

If that is the case, then one should go to LCCs and expected nothing else but safety.

Here I am talking about a premier airline (to me no longer a premier airline) in a premier cabin.

philsquares
    Participant

I can tell you when I worked at SQ, the catering was something I had never really seen before. Generally speaking flights are catered at every station. However, the drinks are not. They are loaded for the outbound and return flight when the aircraft is serviced in SIN. The cabin crew are under very strict instructions, and remember this is Singapore, not to open the beverage carts which are loaded for the return flight.

Strange and different? Certainly!! But remember, this is Singapore (the country) and they tend to do things their way and are extremely reluctant to any suggestion there might be a better way to do things.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls