What is the best travel advice you have ever been given?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)

• Carlton-Browne
    Participant

[quote quote=757232]When in a high risk city, always carry a wallet full of out of date credit cards. If you get attacked, hand it over.

[/quote]

I used to carry a mugger’s wallet (and, mercifully, never got to use it) but nowadays I have a feeling that even out of date cards could be used to assist identity theft. Probably better to use some dummy cards or perhaps use somebody else’s.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

esselle – on the basis that the “thank you” button has now disappeared… back to the +1…

Poshgirl58
    Participant

[quote quote=757397]When in a high risk city, always carry a wallet full of out of date credit cards. If you get attacked, hand it over.[/quote]

A good idea. When I started a discussion thread about travel security on a site for 50-something leisure travellers, this was one of the suggestions. Another was to carry a Jif lemon to ward off an attacker; squirting it in their eyes is really going to sting! Apparently it’s now also available in lime…..

TiredOldHack2
    Participant

[quote quote=757232]When in a high risk city, always carry a wallet full of out of date credit cards. If you get attacked, hand it over.

[/quote]

I do this. It’s also stuffed with near-valueless foreign banknotes for added authenticity. Not had to hand it over yet, but….

TiredOldHack2
    Participant

Quite a list, actually (reasons in brackets)

Leave for the airport early (Pretty obvious, but it goes beyond road and public transport delays: it can be quite productive if they’ve over-sold the flight and are working out who to upgrade).

Always carry a basic change of clothing in your hand luggage (one day you’ll really need it).

Take a small bottle of Tabasco sauce to enliven dull airline food (Can’t remember where this one came from, but trust me, it’s a gem).

Never, ever, ever pack valuables in the hold baggage (Ever seen the number of illicitly opened case coming off the carousel? And it won’t be insured, either).

Take all the numbers of your credit/debit cards and put them somewhere secure in cyberspace, along with the numbers to call if they’re stolen or lost (Obvious, really).

Always take one credit card and stash it away from your others (This is your emergency one).

Take a phrasebook of the country you’re travelling to (Invaluable, especially if things go pear-shaped, and if they don’t, trying to speak someone else’s language shows willing).

IanFromHKG
    Participant

GivingupBA: “Take double the money and half the clothes” (thanks, Mum. Best ever travel advice).

Brilliant!!

However, I suspect the Memsahib would only take the first part of that advice on board (pardon the pun) – never the second half!!

My best advice – always re-check the visa rules. They might have changed since you last went…

Charles-P
    Participant

i) Never check luggage in, only travel with cabin bags

ii) Never trust a taxi driver who is unshaven (from my Grandmother). Both times I have been conned by taxi drivers they were unshaven.

iii) Never eat anywhere that has photos of the food in the window.

iv) Tip heavily on day one in a hotel. They will remember for the rest of your stay.

openfly
    Participant

Never go to West Africa…..

alainboy56
    Participant

@ahmed
    Fully agree with you — dress smart – I hasten to add not necessarily a suit, as a good pair of fashionable jeans and a jacket (Italian style) can work wonders – always works for me, and as for being nice to those that serve you in lounges. on-board and in restaurants is a must in all walks of life – notice I didn’t add Immigration Desks in UK (elsewhere yes), as invariable they are not there to serve you, but only to hold you up and bother you with inane questions,

LuganoPirate
    Participant

A lot of good advice here. The first bit of travel advice I received from my mother was not to drink the water! Funnily since then (I was 13) I never have, drinking only bottled water.

AllOverTheGaff
    Participant

[quote quote=757183]Empty your pockets before using a hole-in-the-ground toilet.

[/quote]

LOL!

That’s brilliant.

Rgds
    AOTG.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

The best travel advice I have ever been given

……….ex-Europe tickets….

stevescoots
    Participant

[quote quote=758087]The best travel advice I have ever been given

……….ex-Europe tickets….

[/quote] same for me!, and it was you that gave the advice! 🙂

canucklad
    Participant

Best piece of advice…..
    Apologies for lack of name recognition,because your advice is excellent. And I’ll add, hopefully the full benefits will never ever be realized.

Wallet,phone and most importantly passport in my pockets during take off and landing.

Recent advice from my CX mate was also good. Make sure you use the toilet a good while before landing. The seat belt sign goes on earlier now,because there is more seats in the business class cabins, pilots needing to go to the loo before landing are now finding it more difficult. Solution, manage by restraint .
    After all you don’t want your aircraft being piloted by someone dying for a piss. : )

LuganoPirate
    Participant

stevescoots +1 ?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls