Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)

• TominScotland
    Participant

Yes, that is correct. Left turn for Club World and a few Economy rows (depends on CW demand). For a quick exit if in Economy, the best row is 9, just forward of the door. On my last two trips, the main cabin passengers were held back and the forward cabin, before Economy first followed by CW were allowed off.

esselle
    Participant

Do you mean CE rather than CW?

TominScotland
    Participant

Just returned from very quick GLA-LHR-LCA return trip, with the Larnaca legs on the 767, booked in Economy. The outbound saw two upgrades to CE which was nice but, given the seat configuration on the 767 not a huge benefit except for the excellent meal on offer in CE. I was in a window-aisle set which does not have the benefit of the free middle seat which the centre seating has so is quite cramped, especially for working. I had chosen an exit seat in Economy and would probably have been better off there from a working perspective. The flight appeared to be 100%+ full with, presumably, off-duty crew in spare crew seats.

While the 767 is good for the one hour flight from Glasgow (see above) it is not really fit for purpose for a 4 – 4.5 hour journey as CE. Legroom is tight and the IFE is a joke. As noted, the lunch was excellent and the drinks selection (of which I did not partake) appeared to be good, judging by neighbours’ choices. Because of the need to de-ice at Heathrow, we ran about 45 minutes late but, with two doors used at Larnaca, were off the plane quickly.

On the return, I was not upgraded so occupied my exit seat in Row 27 which was excellent for the work I needed to do after my meetings. The legroom, of course, was also a real plus and, on balance, offers a better option than CE, especially if you want to use a laptop or read bulky documents. The third party lounge in Larnaca is quite good if busy with an Emirates departure around the same time as BA so I was able to anticipate BOB and have a pre-boarding dinner. For similar reasons to the outbound, the flight ran a bit late. In any case, this flight is scheduled to make same night onward connections impossible – presumably, it leave London late morning in order to pick up transfer traffic from the US. So I had booked the Ibis near-by on Avios, returning to T5 on the excellent 423 service to catch my early flight to Glasgow.

On both 767 legs, I was welcomed by the CSD to acknowledge my 5 years of Gold tier membership of the BAEC which was nice. Given that I am very rarely recognised like this on BA, it was also a surprise. 5 years would be right as it was then that I moved over to BA as a BMI refugee.

ontherunhome
    Participant

I too flew LHR to GLA last Friday on the 767, after a flight in to LHR on a 320. The 767, despite being old, was far superior to the 320. I was in seat 7A, and it was a large old fashioned BA comfortable seat with decent leg room.

One question to those that know, on the last few BA flights, I have had an empty seat next to me, in emergency exit rows. Do BA block seats next to Gold card holders if spare capacity, like KLM used to do, or was this that no one else paid to choose these seats?

On neither leg did I get a Gold welcome by the way.

BrotherJim
    Participant

Tom, no need to go to the US to go on a 767. Fly to Berlin or Moscow, then you can fly on a MIAT 767 to Ulaanbaatar.

I had the pleasure the other month flying them out of Hong Kong and even more pleased when the 737 was subbed for their newest 767, which was one of the last passenger versions built. Was very nice and brought back good memories of when I lived in UK and got the BA 767 quite often, and when Qantas has a whole heap (including 7 ex BA aircaft).

A very nice plane indeed.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

[quote quote=840581]I understand that the 767 goes out of service next year and I will miss it on my domestic route. I have another one coming up in a couple of weeks and look forward to it – another aircraft soon to be consigned to memory – unless you are in the US!![/quote]

I’m afraid Tom even in the US the 767 is being phased out as American Airlines are looking to replace there’s with the 787.

fatbear
    Participant

My only problem with the B767 is the smaller overhead lockers, compared to the A320. My Tumi fits nicely in the A320 but has to go in sideways on the B767

BrotherJim
    Participant

[quote quote=861114]My only problem with the B767 is the smaller overhead lockers, compared to the A320. My Tumi fits nicely in the A320 but has to go in sideways on the B767[/quote]

The MIAT bird I flew had newer style lockers based on the 777. Certainly nor shortage of space. I have a reasonably large roller bag (about max legally allowed) and it fitted no problems what so ever wheels in first.

canucklad
    Participant

I’d surmise that the affection that people have (including me) for the 767 is simply based on a feel-good factor that the aircraft brings.
    For me, that feel good factor, especially in Y links is associated with a time period when airlines weren’t taking every opportunity to screw us over.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but the 767 is the only aircraft that I’ve flown on that hasn’t transgressed from its original Boeing seat configuration , thus our comfort on-board is almost guaranteed .

Flightlevel
    Participant

Don’t see BA getting any more B767s, with modern A320s coming into service this year and next those maybe used more often.
    Some of the early B787s may one day be on domestic/EU routes because like the B767 they carry much more freight if required.

rferguson
    Participant

cancklad there is a couple airlines that operate (or operated in the past) the 767 with a 2x4x2 config in Y. None of the big names.

Ukraine Airlines, Merdiana, Thomas Cook, UT Air.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=861377]Correct me if I’m wrong, but the 767 is the only aircraft that I’ve flown on that hasn’t transgressed from its original Boeing seat configuration , thus our comfort on-board is almost guaranteed .[/quote]

Not a Boeing, but the A330 can also be comfortable in Y, with its designed 2-4-2 layout in a wider fuselage.

rferguson
    Participant

One airline has already taken delivery of the new A350 with ten abreast seating (Air Caraibes – seat width 16.5″).

I wonder who will be first to order the 11 abreast version of the A380?

Flightlevel
    Participant

BA could carry more pax in the 11 abreast new A380 and give Y pax 38″ pitch! Not exactly the width of T+ however atleast you can sleep, if footrest included!
    FDOS don’t try the QF A330 longhaul in Y – I was actually in pain on 8+ hour flight – 31″ pitch and seats hardly recline!

openfly
    Participant

The thought of BA having 11 abreast on their A380s is horrific. One of the worst experiences recently was a rare occasion of flying for 11 hours in economy on a BA A380. The large IFE boxes in the footwell makes moving your legs and feet impossible, plus the pitch awful with back of the seat in front in my face…NEVER AGAIN.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls