Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)

• TominScotland
    Participant

In the last couple of weeks, I have taken a couple of flights with the venerable 767 on the GLA – LHR route. Its a very comfortable option compared to the normal 320 series and with leather seating of 2-3-2 and a pitch of 30″ (which feels more) is an option to grab if it is available. The size of the Club Europe cabin depends on demand and on both my flights the ‘curtain’ (there was none on Monday) was well forward of the door. This meant that those of us in Economy seats forward of the door were the first to deplane – the main cabin was held back by flight attendants. This might be galling to Club Europe passengers.

I understand that the 767 goes out of service next year and I will miss it on my domestic route. I have another one coming up in a couple of weeks and look forward to it – another aircraft soon to be consigned to memory – unless you are in the US!!

rferguson
    Participant

You never know TomInScotland. Boeing is considering reopening the 767 production line due to demand!

Boeing ponders restart of 767-300ER passenger line

I know what you mean though….and ‘new’ 767 would not be the same. It would likely be 2/4/2 in economy to make it more attractive to airline for example. I know there are a couple airlines that operate it currently in this configuration.

Old planes often offer enhanced comfort, especially in the ‘back of the bus’. I remember flight Thai to BKK a good few years ago. It was a little while back but not that far. It had an EXTREMELY outdated product on the 747 – I don’t think it even had PTV’s let alone device charging ports etc. But the seats were so generously padded and the legroom was immense! One of my best longhaul Y flights ever.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

and a pitch of 30″ (which feels more)

Probably because it is 34″ 😉

esselle
    Participant

I flew the 767 many times on MAN-JFK during the late 90’s/early 00’s. The old cradle config, then the new J seat was great on this route, and the crew were “regulars” too which gave it quite a sociable feel. Happy memories.

TominScotland
    Participant

Thanks FDOS. Seatguru gives 30” so went with that!!

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=840663]Thanks FDOS. Seatguru gives 30” so went with that!!
    [/quote]

The cloth covered seats are 30 or 31″ (can’t remember exactly).

EU_Flyer
    Participant

Club on the 767 with nobody next to you is the best CE experience to be had, even better when on a bulkhead. Plus the size ofthe aircraft made it feel even nicer. Miss them on the Athens services, although Athens saw a few 777s last summer which was nice.

I saw them as I was boarding my Aegean and Lufthansa flights, where I get free food and drink, emergency exit seats for free and a decent seat pitch when not, and the lovely Lufthansa lounge to relax in. ;-P

GivingupBA
    Participant

[quote quote=840657]I flew the 767 many times on MAN-JFK during the late 90’s/early 00’s. The old cradle config, then the new J seat was great on this route… Happy memories.
    [/quote]

Me too, I’ve always had a soft spot for the 767 and really like the plane.

TiredOldHack2
    Participant

An old friend, who sadly is no longer with us, was a senior maintenance bod at BA LHR, and used to talk nostalgically about the 767, reckoning it was one of the most reliable aircraft. “A really good workhorse” he said.

MarcusGB
    Participant

And KLM used to also still run a 767 on one of the morning flights ex LHR – AMS. Then is became a 332, but now only 737/8/9’s or Embraer’s.
    I had seen from the timetable a some months ago, BA still use one of the AMS route in the morning?

AisleSeatTraveller
    Participant

the problem with the 767 to Edinburgh (apart from the dilapidated appearance of the knackered old aeroplane) is that it is parked on a remote stand (BA claim its the size of the plane, really, the air-bridge is ok for Qatar’s 787 or Eithad’s A330) and the bus to the terminal (adding extra minutes that may mean you miss the last tram into the city)

canucklad
    Participant

Morning AST, I’ve flown EDI-LHR on the 767 and have always boarded it through the gate 10 air bridge at EDI.
    Usually the same air bridge that EY & QR use.

Is it possible that it parks up at a remote stand because it’s not the first “shuttle” in the morning?

Tom, in total agreement, much better experience than the cramped 320

TominScotland
    Participant

Very odd excuse for Edinburgh. 767 parks up fine at Glasgow and at A Gates, T5.

AisleSeatTraveller
    Participant

Canucklad – maybe I have just been unlucky, but have been on the 8am to T5 on the 767 (prob on the first flight to London), hoping for an air bridge arrival next friday and baggage handlers David or Keith aren’t on a tea break (after 3 months in Saudi, I’ll need to get to the pub quickly)

TomInScotland – it was a crew member who said the aeroplane was too big for the gate (having been on the Qatar 787 to Doha, i just shrugged in disbelieve)

Montysaurus
    Participant

I will be taking a 767 flight from LHR to GLA in January for old times’ sake. Can someone please remind me of which door one enters – I seem to recall it was the second door so one turned left into the forward cabin. All for a quick exit!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls