BAA Pulls Its Finger Out: T5 Security South to Be Redesigned

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 46 total)

• VintageKrug
    Participant

BAA is responsible for the appallingness of security, not British Airways.

CMoir12
    Participant

I normally use T5 every week but for the last two weeks have used T3 (with BA) and T1 (with LH).

T3 fastrack had one couple in front and through in seconds; T1, I used the LH First channel and again through in seconds. This compares the 15-20 mins at T5.

If BAA can do it at T1 and T3 why not T5?

Expat_Consultant
    Participant

“BAA is responsible for the appallingness of security, not British Airways.”

Vintage Krug, need I remind you that part of the ticket cost of flying with British Airways is a security charge.

Regardless of the subcontractor who carries out the security check, BA is the prime contractor and thus responsible for the service provided.

If you are arguing that a sole customer of an airline terminal lacks the leverage to drive service delivery, then you should think about the implications of that.

Expat_Consultant
    Participant

CMoir

I have used T5 and T1 in the past 10 days.

T1 was much better than T5, 10mins mins versus 35, T1 being morning peak and T5 being evening peak.

VintageKrug
    Participant

I agree your point, Expat, and security at T5 is one of the principle gripes of me as a passenger. That concern is very much reflected amongst the top brass at BA.

Having said all that, I have NEVER waited more than 5 minutes at T5, although I am fortunate to be able to avoid flying at peak times, always use security South and always ue the Fast Track.

BA was influential in bringing about the agreement to changes set out above in my oroginal post, some of which are in place already. I understand that there has been no action in terms of deliving the South Redesign at present.

BA already pays a premium for the Fast Track set up, however it is not able to control the BAA goons who police the line, and they often let regular customers into the premium line, which rather defeats the object. This is unacceptable.

However, BAA is not any normal subcontractor.

They are BA’s principle landlord (not just at LHR), they set landing charges, and have significant influence in other non-financial areas of LHR.

They are a monopolistic provider, focussed on profitability, without much interest in customer service. BAA was also responsible for the design of the terminal which IMHO is largely responsible for the security SNAFU. Its workers are highly unionised, and its management weak.

There is no excuse for the security wait times seen at a brand new purpose built installation, and BA has some influence over this, which it has exercised. However, it is not as influential as one might imagine, or indeed as influential as it should be.

The issue is not one of a usual sub-contractor relationship.

David
    Participant

Was at the south T5 Fast Track again yesterday evening at 5 pm. I made it through with minimal wait but (as I observe, without fail, everytime I go through – see earlier post) the Fast Track lanes were opened up to ‘normal’ passengers as soon as the line was about 6 deep. If I (as well as everyone else on the forum) can see this happening – why can’t BA? This has to be a material breach of the service level agreement between BA and BAA, and therefore have consequences should (repeated) breaches occur.

Expat_Consultant
    Participant

Vintage Krug

Taking Occam’s razor to the matter, BA is charging for a service it is failing to deliver effectively.

The company needs to understand that its financials are giving it a number of messages and one of those is that customers are finding better service and value elsewhere.

The operation of T5 is one example of why.

I have just booked my next few trips and although two of them involve trips out of LHR (as I am combining these with UK engagements), these have both gone to *Alliance.

Along with many other experienced customers, I will not accept sub standard service.

Expat_Consultant
    Participant

Home@FL350

I have seen this happen repeatedly in T4 as well and agree with you that it is extremely frustrating.

It happens so regularly, that one has to draw the conclusion that it is standard BAA policy, rather than individuals taking action.

Capetonian
    Participant

“BAA is responsible for the appallingness of security, not British Airways.”

And BAA’s biggest customer is ……. ?

VintageKrug
    Participant

Capetonian, please read my post above which explains the monopolistic, dominant position of BAA.

Seems BA has got its way and the redesign work started late last week. It will be complete by 18th December.

The two new machines will be added in the “traditional style” (no silly three person loading with nowhere to rest your case while youn extract liquids/laptops).

If the throughput is higher through these than the current design then all the others will be converted, which would be an acknowledgement of just how bad the design of the current set up is.

There are now 3 Fast track lanes at Security North, which should help matters, though personally I would always head to Security South if travelling in First as you are closer to the Concorde Room and people tend to know what they are doing (being regulars and most likely not having arrived on the tube) which means the queues are dealt with faster.

Appalling it has taken BAA so long to do something about this. A national disgrace. Hopefully having Iberia onside will ensure increased sympathy for BA from BAA’s management.

VintageKrug
    Participant

And looks like a new-style scanner opened today at T5 Security North; larger trays seem to be the main change.

Anyone tried it yet?

DoorsToManual
    Participant

VintageKrug, when you provide impartial information you are a really useful person to have on this forum. When all you do is sell BA’s Products and Services you can be very infuriating. BA are the ‘host’ of T5, it’s their responsibility to make it work. They chose the BAA. Tell your bosses that they need to pull their finger out and catch up with the service being offered by Emirates and Singapore.
    OK, question: What the heck do the ‘Quintessentially’ people do in the Concorde Room? Special Services are far more useful.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Your statement about finger pulling perplexes me, as has been stated previously I have no professional or personal connection with either company.

BAA used to be a state run Airport Management company. It was privatised, but maintained a monopoly on most of the major airports in the UK, including Heathrow.

BAA sets commercially sensitive prices for things like landing and airport fees, which affect BA proportionately more than other carriers using UK airports.

British Airways had absolutely no choice but to persuade BAA to build and pay for the infrastructure and public areas of T5; BA did not “choose” BAA.

BA are not the “hosts” but rather the tenants of the building (except in the lounges).

As you will recall, T4 was originally bilt exclusively for BA and then was opened up to other airlines over time.

Thankfully BAA no longer owns Gatwick, and already the new properly incentivised management (which also owns London City Airport) is already taking steps to improve security by re-training staff.

I appreciate the average passenger will fail to make the distinction between BA and BAA, but one would hope that regular business travellers would be able to do so.

Both firms need to work harder at getting the security experience right, and I am pleased to say that is what is (slowly) happening here.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Anyone experienced these new scanners recently at T5?

hamilton
    Participant

In terms of changing building layouts and designs, it takes time to do as I am sure you probably know if you want to build an extension or do significant changes to your own home. Additionally, I imagine those extra machines that are being installed have come from T2 being closed.

Using T1 most weeks the fast track works seemlessly. If no one is coming in via fast track, rather than letting officers mingle a group of 6 pax are let in to be processed but held back if a fast track pax suddenly appears. Works quickly and effeciently and staff seem to spring up from nowhere at the first hint of a queue.

T5 does have its problems and you can always get grumpy staff but what about grumpy pax. No matter how many times people fly and how often they get reminded you always get stuck behind them when they suddenly realise that their bottle of water is a liquid and they have a laptop thus taking eternity to get through security.

Credit is deserved where due and BAA a few years ago were shocking but a lot has improved in recent years and the fact that they are unionised is no hindrance really. Probably as unionised as BA is whom want a 12 day strike??

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 46 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls