British Airways to introduce buy-on-board F&B on short haul services?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 319 total)

• EU_Flyer
    Participant

Thanks FDOS_UK.

Certainly wasn’t challenging and thanks for the info!!

I don’t drink much on planes so it’s never an issue for me personally and I’ve always (until recently) flown on airlines that serve alcohol where cabin crew are more aware of who’s getting drunk.

If BA introduce BYO, policing alchohol won’t be easy. Concealing a bottle of wine or liquor isn’t hard, particularly on night flights with lights dimmed and any confrontations / confiscations aren’t likely to be pretty.

It’s to avoid situations like the above I chose to fly BA. So, I hope the rumour isn’t true.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

Alex_Fly – 21/03/2016 15:43 GMT

BA policy is that it is okay to bring/consume your own, you have to hope the crew police it (or they change the rules, if this rumour is true – it may be false).

MrMichael
    Participant

I have no big issue with BOB, but would prefer they still dished out soft drinks such as water, coffee & tea. I too doubt BA will reduce prices, BOB has been on IB for at least ten years and the fares on LHR – MAD are exactly the same. I always thought it odd that IB and BA from the same stable had such differing offers. Wholeheartedly agree with Martyn about but before you board, places like pret do such a myriad of things nowadays it is almost take away heaven. I also agree with Alex-Fly, someone’s home cooking that has been festering away for some hours in their hand luggage can be incredibly insulting to ones nostrils. Had to endure an hour on a flight from Bergen to Tromso once with my neighbour tucking in to his freshly dryed, partly dryed, not dryed enough herring.

BEYbrit
    Participant

We’ve been conditioned into thinking that a trip on a plane isn’t complete without a snack.

Seriously, the flight is two hours long. And it’s really not a comfortable environment to eat in. Why bother?

Improve airport catering. I’m sure that’s the short-haul answer.

travelsforfun
    Participant

For my part, I think it will be a shame if BA stops the free food and drink – it is a small but symbolic point of differentiation with the low-costs – and sometimes one just doesn’t had time to stop by the shops or lounge (if there is one) en route to the gate.

I prefer the sandwich(es) one often gets on Lufthansa and KLM shorthaul – small but still proper food, rather than a snack. American was mentioned, but if I recall correctly, they’re bringing back the snack (the same snack that Delta already offers). BA has already downgraded the food offering during most of the day to a snack. Actually, I don’t think retaining the snack and drink is incompatible with offering a more substantial food offering to buy, for those who want it. [This would not be that different from the prebooked meal upgrade option that KLM and BA now offer on their longhaul services.]

It terms of bring-your-own policies, I think most airlines are relaxed apart from not allowing outside alcohol due to the inability of cabin crew to regulate. Interestingly, a notable exception are the Far Eastern low-cost carriers (Air Asia and others) who ban consumption of outside food on board – though I don’t know to what extent this is enforced.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

FDOS_UK – BI allows or use to allow pax to bring their own drinks onboard when purchased in the duty-free shop.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

Quite a number of airlines ban the carriage in hand luggage of Surströmming and if opened in flight, it would justify the dropping of the O2 masks and an emergency divert (IMHO!!)

FDOS_UK
    Participant

AMcWhirter – 21/03/2016 17:37 GMT

I’d heard that they are starting to get a little reluctant to do that, maybe my colleague was unlucky; they did allow him, but made it clear that it wasn’t appreciated and would not give him a proper glass, just a paper cup.

Personally, I wouldn’t use BI, but nothing to do with this.

1nfrequent
    Participant

If the issue is one of waste, I wonder if it’s possible for BA to minimise it by introducing technology that gives passengers the chance to confirm in advance (like they’re doing on some of the long haul routes). That way people can see if there’s something they fancy and if not, eat in advance or buy something to bring on board.

1F

AisleSeatTraveller
    Participant

I’d be happy to pay for food on board or pre-order, my experience in Asia is that the food offered on SQ (regionally, up to 3.5 hours flight time) is bloody awful, whereas Tiger Airways (purchasable) looks / smells reasonable

(apologies not related to BA)

FDOS_UK
    Participant

AisleSeatTraveller – 21/03/2016 22:54 GMT

No apologies needed, the thread is about whether Buy on Board is bad, not solely related to BA (who don’t currently offer it.)

DavidGordon10
    Participant

I am pleased someone brought up the Surströmming question, FDOS.

It is rumoured that standing orders in the Swedish navy are that Surströmming tins may only be opened on the open deck, extending that analogy to an airplane in flight produces a pleasing surreal picture….

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Clearly I am not a man of the world, so to save any others needing Mr G… or Mr W….

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surstr%C3%B6mming

now you know :))

IanFromHKG
    Participant

Maybe it would give BA a way to start rewarding loyal customers again, as AA used to do before they starting becoming more full-service – in domestic AA economy one had to pay for alcoholic drinks, and snacks, but as a OWE I got them for free. At last those disgruntled GCHs who were denied free seat selection and the exit rows could feel they were getting something for their loyalty!!

AisleSeatTraveller
    Participant

alternatively one could use one’s frequent flyer miles / points to get smashed at 35,000 feet

(surprised Georgie Boy Osbourne hasn’t taxed them yet (as a benefit in kind), use them before he does)

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 319 total)
This topic is marked as closed to new replies, however your posting capabilities still allow you to do so.
The topic ‘British Airways to introduce buy-on-board F&B on short haul services?’ is closed to new replies.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls