BA to allow passengers to watch IFE until end of flight

Back to Forum
Viewing 14 posts - 46 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • Okay SimonS1 and FormerlyDoS – truce please – let’s have a pleasant Friday on the forum.

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

+1

I think we should let this one go and agree to differ.

Stringfellow
    Participant

Getting back to the technology part of the issue perhaps we see with mobile phone usuage that situation where once there is a “risk”, discussion, debate or realism is removed and the focus becomes the complete elimination of the risk regardless of how slight it may be. I have recently completed a project with the British Army where an MoD Health & Safety official become totaly focused on the issue of a tripping risk in the car park of a firing range despite the fact this range had multipe live weapons in use. It was only the intervention of his boss that saw him re-focus on the bigger picture.

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

Stringfellow

Interesting perspective.

Elimination of the risk from mobile phones would be prohibiting from the aircraft (adding to the list of prohibited items that already exists.)

What the authorities are doing (and the Boeing link I posted a few back also suggests) is a mitigation of probability.

The problem with the electronic devices risk is that it is very low probability;

Think how many you have heard left switched on accidentally, Boeing failed to disrupt one of their aircraft on the ground, having tested 16 different phones.

So, obviously leaving a phone on does not equate to instant death, but there are enough reported instances of interference by electronic devices, ranging from disruption of communications with ATC to autopilot disconnects, to suggest that some mitigation is required and that is currently in the form of devices off during critical phases of flight.

It seems a reasonable balance to me, even though I have to switch off my e-reader when I would really like to keep it on.

Stringfellow
    Participant

What is perhaps not fully appreciated is the overwhelming wish of the airlines to see widespread mobile phone usage on aircraft as well as data. In short there a large profit opportunity here.

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

Absolutely right.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

a slightly confusing discussion when the LCY flights to NY (BA) allow / encourage phone usage for data purposes.

What makes the 318 different from BA’s other aircraft to enable mobile phone usage??

Henkel.Trocken
    Participant

Marvellous that BA are again attempting to catch up with the competition on this matter, others have been doing this for years.

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

“What makes the 318 different from BA’s other aircraft to enable mobile phone usage??”

At a guess, Martyn, they are certified for it and installed with the necessary base station.

But electronic devices are still off for the critical flight phases.

Papillion53
    Participant

Can I add to the discussion the places where mobiles must also be switched off – hospitals, doctors’ surgeries – as they state they could or can interfere with equipment. I know it states the word could, but if one side of the argument is that there is no risk, then why this rule?

There has simply got to be some risk of the mobile phone causing some interference with medical equipment, so I imagine the same applies to aircraft systems.

Isn’t is better that we have such practices in place to prevent anything happening, rather than not have it and wait and see if something happens, and then do the ban???

Stringfellow – your story of the trip hazard, reminded me of a similar story where the sandwich man was banned from bringing his sandwiches into an office reception because he had to walk down a couple of steps on the path and because he was carrying a tray may not have been able to see as he stepped down those steps. He never, ever tripped, but the jobs worth HSE guy at said office banned him, so all the staff who had been able to pop down to reception now have to go out to his van on the roadside! Not having thought this through, there were now 30 plus people every day going up and down the same couple of steps in all sorts of weather and standing grouped around on the side of a busy industrial estate road! Needless to say, alternative arrangements were made PDQ!

Stringfellow
    Participant

Interesting ‘papillion53’ – H&S people do seem very focused on stairs. At the UK headquarters of BP it is a company requirement that people must have one hand on the banister at all times when on the stairs. Seems this was a requirement from the Oil Rig days that somehow ended up being mandatory in a Surrey office block.

On an amusing side note I read about the story here in Paris of a local council employee hurting his hand while putting up a sign warning of the dangers of hands being damaged.

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

Talking of dangerous signs….

http://www.flickr.com/photos/atanas/3788462283/

Stringfellow
    Participant

HongKongLady
    Participant

IFE allowed at the start and the end of a flight, not sure why this is such a big deal, surely people can amuse themselves without the need to watch TV the instant you board. Newspaper or book anyone! I also agree with umm not sure who it was, that it could be a hinderence in the case of an emergency.
    Phones, why on earth would you want to use them, it is great to be able to say I am about to board a flight and I won’t be available until…..

Viewing 14 posts - 46 through 59 (of 59 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls