BA still cannot manage cabin baggage

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)

• MartynSinclair
    Participant

Maybe BA get charged for each bag going through the terminal. This way, they allow passengers to deliver to gate.. announce the flight is full and ask for volunteers to gate check any oversized…

I wonder what the consensus would be for the Forum BA travellers. Would we want BA to enforce cabin baggage rules or would it be too much of an inconvenience..

From me, yes they should be enforced..

GivingupBA
    Participant

Martyn, you asked about a consensus. Yes, from me too, they should be enforced. Strictly. I don’t care if it would be an inconvenience for baggage carriers: the inconvenience for others on the plane is greater.

seasonedtraveller
    Participant

I would enforce it.
    ST

FDOS_UK
    Participant

Be careful what you wish for……..

“Due to customer feedback that cabin baggage limits are too high, British Airways has enhanced this allowance and the new rules are

– 1 small handbag/computer bag – free
    – First roll aboard (56x40x26cm) – £50 per sector
    – Second roll aboard (56x40x26cm) – £80 per sector

British Airways takes customer feedback seriously”.

A similar model exists with Spirit Airlines in theUS.

seasonedtraveller
    Participant

The introduction of ‘hand baggage only’ fares have done nothing to help this situation – pretty obvious to say that it’s made the situation a whole lot worse and it’s this that needs to be taken care of.
    It seems to me that there is zero focus on those with this type of ticket bringing everything including the proverbial kitchen sink on board with them and who can blame them if BA fail to enforce?

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

TominScotland
    Participant

Just flown BA633 PSA to LHR and BA1494 LHR to GLA. No issues with boarding, seating or hand luggage on fullish flights. BOB was smooth.

So sorry to disappoint…..

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=793244]Just flown BA633 PSA to LHR and BA1494 LHR to GLA. No issues with boarding, seating or hand luggage on fullish flights. BOB was smooth.

[/quote]

Doesn’t disappoint, just shows it is an easy task with the right attitude/processes (as Ryanair demonstrates every flight).

So can you explain why this does not happen on every BA flight?

seasonedtraveller
    Participant

[quote quote=793244]Just flown BA633 PSA to LHR and BA1494 LHR to GLA. No issues with boarding, seating or hand luggage on fullish flights. BOB was smooth.

[/quote]

Not at all disappointed.
    Just struggle to understand that it’s an exception rather than a rule (in my own experience only)

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

I am going to repeat the Jetstar Oz experience from last Summer BNE-Proserpine when the ground team made announcements reminding everyone at the gate of the clear “ONLY one piece of hand baggage per passenger, everything else is paid-for stowed baggage”. They then came around, passenger by passenger, tagged appropriately and had the mobile credit card machine to take payment for any items requiring hold stowage.

This was clear, straightforward and uniformly enforced. No argument. Consequently, the passenger compartment was not over run with extraneous baggage, the cabin crew were not complaining of having to act as de facto baggage handlers and there was no issue with a late departure. All it took was some organisation and determination to enforce the stated baggage policy agreed to at the time of ticket purchase.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

This morning, depsite being the first in the priority queue (Business UK ticket) I was #34 to board, because BA decided to allow people to check in hand luggage in return for getting on first.

In other words, an advertised benefit of the fare was trashed and people on cheap HBO fares got free luggage and priority boarding.

Quite disgraceful, IMHO.

canucklad
    Participant

@ FDOS, same thing happens at EDI, Hence my question earlier, about HBO fares.
    Pay the cheapest fare, volunteer to give up your baggage and hey presto you get priority boarding. On the negative side, you’ve put your valuable time at the other end into the hands of the baggage handlers. So no quick get away.

And as I mentioned, my colleagues and I could have been happily at the hotel bar 1/2 hour before we actually where.

Plus, is this an opportunity for BA to introduce yet another new ancillary fee called,……”Keep your bag with you” : )

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Sorry to against the flow, but I don’t think it should be enforced too heavily. I think common sense should be applied depending on how full the plane is and how many / the size of the bags.

I travel with two bags, one is computer sized and holds my Tabs, charger, money etc and it weighs no more than 2kgs. The other clothes, wash kit etc. The second bag is well within regulations but often weighs 10 – 11 kgs. Many’s the times I’ve had to remove a few items, stuff them in my smaller bag to satisfy the check in person, then repack them as soon as I’m out of sight.

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

LP: Yes but… I daresay that you are not trying it on with having bought an HBO fare!

There is a lively debate over on HeadforPoints and Flyertalk about BA’s new practice of targeting BA/Amex 241 Companion voucher holders for downgrades in the event of overbooking – and then telling the downgraded non-voucher holder, that they are entitled to no compensation because they have paid nothing for their seat. This is likely to end up in court fairly soon.

BA responds to my question on 2-4-1 downgrade compensation

We appear now to be in the situation of a service sector company whose management cannot see the wood for the trees, to which customer loyalty is something to be used and abused at will and for whom their own fare policies are routinely stood on their head.

As an indication of how things have plummeted at BA, there is no possibility that I would have offered such a criticism some three or four years ago.

Kass
    Participant

[quote quote=792791]MAN-LHR, Business UK ticket, pretty full flight.

Boarded #3, in exit row. Stowed small computer bag and coat in bin.

Noticed some people boarding with 3 or more pieces of cabin baggage.

Eventually, the inevitable happens and the crew start to try to fit everything in.

Along comes a young cc who asks me if the bag and jacket are mine and when I confirm he says “I hope you don’t mind if I move these a bit forward to make space”.

When I said that I did mind and I wanted to keep my bag close to me,I got the ‘roll eyes’ and a passive aggressive ‘ok’.

Having paid a premium for a flexible ticket and boarded at the start, to secure overhead bin space near me, why should I help the airline make space for passengers who were flouting the allowances, with impunity?

Although it is none of the airline’s business, I have sensitive data on my laptop and do need to use best endeavours to safeguard that, thus my need to keep it very close, so it wasn’t a case of being bloody minded.

If BA really does want to compete with the LCCs, it needs to smarten up on controlling hand baggage.

[/quote]

Maybe you need to remember that when you buy your ticket, regardless of the price or type, you are buying your seat, not a specific locker, so if the crew need to move bags, they are quite in their rights to do so, and were only asking out of politeness, and to be met by obstructive NO from you is prob why you got the eye roll. As for sensitive items on the laptop, its only for take off and landing it needs to be in locker, so during flight bring it to your seat or get a lockable case.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls