BA Leisure Fleet 777 irritation

Back to Forum
Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)

• Edski777
    Participant

Yes, it is an outdated product, but in line with the seemingly deteriorating standards at BA.
    But it is a pretty dense setup and thereby rakes in a lot of money!
    It once was a pleasure to fly them. There are better options for almost any destination nowadays.
    Although no real fan of Skytrax it gives a good indication of the general displeasure. As do some threads on this forum.

Gold-2K
    Participant

and unless Señor Cruz has a big surprise up his ample sleeve, the new CW seat does not look like it will fully address this, if in fact they stick with the ying/yang layout but with a small gap for aisle access.

rferguson
    Participant

As others have said the ‘offical’ way is to serve via the divider (Elf and safety).

For me personally when serving it depends on a number of factors – if the passenger sat in the aisle seat the row behind the window/middle seat (if that makes sense) is not laying down I go around the aisle seat instead of via the divider. If i’m serving lets say 4A and 5B has their seat fully reclined there is no way I can do this. I think the key when serving via the divider is to acknowledge the customer sat in the aisle – apologise for leaning over them – return divider.

As most regular travellers know the divider screens have to be down for the safety demo (in order for all passengers to be able to see a crew member point out an exit). When I am securing the cabin I always ask passengers if they are travelling with their neighbour and if not raise the divider for them. I know sometimes the customer themself feels awkward doing this – and for a lot of people not familar with the seat they don’t know how to raise the divider.

Flightlevel
    Participant

Thanks FDOS
    If a cabin crew member develops a back back or some other related ailment and is then left uninsured for failing to follow instructions and loses income, do you find that acceptable?
    If they have to go long term sick and lose their job, is that ok?
    Not for me, your values may differ,
    [/quote]

Heavy breadbasket?

maxgeorge
    Participant

Mr R Ferguson’s comments above, eminently civilised and sensible as always, make me again wish someone in Harmondsworth would listen to his thoughts, and not those of the parsimonious beancounters.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=836799]Thanks FDOS If a cabin crew member develops a back back or some other related ailment and is then left uninsured for failing to follow instructions and loses income, do you find that acceptable? If they have to go long term sick and lose their job, is that ok? Not for me, your values may differ, [/quote]
    Heavy breadbasket?
    [/quote]

So you know more than the professionals who assessed the operational ergonomics and recommended serving through the divider?

Not much point discussing it, you should write to BA and point out the errors of their ways.

Derek1948
    Participant

I am having the pleasure if that’s the correct word, of flying to Tampa tomorrow in BA Club on a 4 class 777. I understand that F is not used and will remain empty. For me, living near Gatwick BA are really the only direct flight so I put up with the old planes et al.I know there are better planes with superior seating etc but for me LGW and a direct flight is much better.
    However the screen will not be an issue as am travelling with my wife. And for the first time in 8 years of flying this route we’ve been able to pre order our main lunch course out of Gatwick.

mkcol74
    Participant

@Derek1948 Things are clearly still changing as it was less than a month ago I flew out to MCO & back from FLL with BA in Club, and there was no pre-selection of meals offered either direction.
    I wonder whether a 4-class will feel any “better” than being in a 3-class 777. We were fortunate enough to get front row 2A & 2B each way sufficiently forward of the engines to not be disturbed by them.

ChrisJR
    Participant

The only time I would have a window seat in CW is upstairs on a 747 or 380 because of the extra room you have between the and the cabin wall. On a 777 if you have your laptop out and a drink, it is quite difficult to get out of your seat I find (I tend to work on a day flight). Personally on a 772 I always choose 10D or 10G – no one stepping over you, easy aisle access, and I find that the middle seats (E-F) are usually the last to fill up so much better change of not having anyone on the other side of the divider. If there is no one in E-F (which on the routes I take is quite often the case) you can actually use those seats for a little extra in-flight easy access storage (or change seats and get a lot of personal space and privacy (if I am in D, and E-F are free, then I hop into E and I have no one either side of me).

Swissdiver
    Participant

I know sometimes the customer themself feels awkward doing this

RF: Spot on, as usual. As used I am to the divider (I always chose a window seat), I still feel a bit awkward when I close the divider. I’ve tried different strategies (smiling, not looking, saying “well have a good trip” or “good night”, …), but none totally eliminated the feeling…
    As for the crew to “go around”, it is always appreciated, even by the passenger on the window seat! Thanks.

jsn55
    Participant

This is incredible, Inga. With all the wonderful information available to travelers, why would anyone fly in a plane with this kind of configuration? If you’re forced to, then the FA should surely serve as instructed, but indulge in no chatting and put the divider back where it belongs after delivering the goodies. I would have complained to the Purser after the second experience. I’m fortunate to do all my own booking, so lie-flat with direct aisle access is all I will consider.

SwissExPat
    Participant

Also it seems that the PE cabins on the 777 ex LGW are still the old variety. (at least the BDA bound one)

Just shows you what happens when there is no competition.

AlanOrton1
    Participant

[quote quote=837918]Also it seems that the PE cabins on the 777 ex LGW are still the old variety. (at least the BDA bound one)
    Just shows you what happens when there is no competition.
    [/quote]

The 4 class variety may have been updated but I’m pretty sure the others haven’t. Some dislike CW but this old version of PE has to be the worst in the skies, unfortunately. (VS used to treat its LGW fleet with similar contempt).

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls