BA inaugural A380 flight to Hong Kong

Back to Forum
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

• Anonymous

BA744fan
    Participant

Just booked myself on to BA’s inaugural A380 flight to Hong Kong and wondering what compensation would be available if BA weren’t actually able to fulfill their promise of starting the service on 15th November.

The only reason I am going is to be a part of what will hopefully be a very special occasion in BA’s history so if I end up on a 747 or 777 I will have wasted my time and money!

I assume that BA are confident the service will start on the date advertised but situations can change (think 787).

Think I might have to take out special insurance.

SwissExPat
    Participant

I hope you get the flight as advertised and enjoy it immensely!

Gold-2K
    Participant

When the HKG flights launch, how many A380s will BA have? I guess they will need at least 3 to maintain daily rotations to LAX and HKG simultaneously?

And if there is an aircraft change I don’t think you will get any compensation. With the exception of Concorde I don’t think any carrier has ever guaranteed a specific aircraft type.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Good luck BA, though I fear if they don’t fly the 380 you will not be compensated. I think somewhere in the conditions it says their obligation is to get you from point A to point B and equipment change may be necessary for operational reasons.

Personally if that were my sole reason for flying I’d go for a refundable ticket!

VintageKrug
    Participant

I’m off to LAX on the A380 (normal trip, but I ensured I will be onone of the flights rostered for the new plane – no guarantees, though!).

I just don’t see the attraction of any inaugural; the risk of it not being what you expect plus the fact the trip was probably scheduled for the sake of the plane, rather than a need to get somewhere means it doesn’t stack up for me, though it’s great to see such enthusiasm for BA’s A380.

I would recommend a mileage booking or a fully flex fare; however, £1900 will get you a Club World return to LAX or HKG on the A380 for many months later in the year:

http://www.britishairways.com/travel/deal-finder-list/public/en_gb

Haven’t checked availability lately, but there was plenty when the services were first announced, even in F.

Str8Talking
    Participant

Add to the fact that the A380 flights are currently sold at a special promotional offer (i.e. you’re not paying more to fly the A380), and that there is still a booking condition that says for technical reasons BA can make last minute equipment changes, I would say the answer is no compensation.

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

“wondering what compensation would be available if BA weren’t actually able to fulfill their promise of starting the service on 15th November”

None. You’ve bought a ticket from A to B, not hired a particular aircraft type.

VintageKrug
    Participant

This culture of compensation and litigation is odious.

Preferential is BA’s preferred insurer; you should check to see if aircraft change is covered (I doubt it is, but it might be a good idea for them to offer it as an add on if there is demand for it):

http://www.thetravelinsurancewebsite.net/ba/

BA744fan
    Participant

I wasn’t sure whether to use the word ‘compensation’ in my thread because I didn’t want to create the impression of being a money grabber in the event of a change in advertised metal.

Of course an airlines sole responsibility is to get passengers safely from A to B, but having bought a ticket to coincide with the first flight to Hong Kong, it would be a huge disappointment to end up flying on a 747 which I have done dozens of times already (hence my username).

VintageKrug
    Participant

Of course, understood.

I would hope that BA would offer free refunds in this specific case, but there are many issues around A380 delivery beyond BA’s control, and there is still no guarantee of an A380 on those flights, nor is that made specific in the conditions of the ticket.

There is a very high likelihood you’ll get an A380, but no guarantee, so best to book with that in mind.

BA744fan

I feel optimistic about this one, and for your sake I hope I am not wrong 🙂

As an aside, I voted for New York in the recent poll, but LAX and HKG make perfect sense.

Capetown2k
    Participant

just bagged 2 first seats to hong kong in march on a380 using amex 241

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls