BA Gold EC line – getting cut off

Back to Forum
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

• ThomasCox
    Participant

Am out in JNB and need to contact the BAEC Gold card line about a couple of things relating to my return trip tonight, and my membership (extending a Gold upgrade for 2 from last year – unlikely, but worth a try) and can’t get through. There’s a recorded message saying ‘all our lines are extremely busy – please go to BA.com’, then it hangs up. Whilst I appreciate that BA / IAG will undoubtedly be doing their utmost to move all customer contacts to cheaper web and self-serve channels given cost reduction is king, I would have hoped (silly me) that they would keep a dedicated line open for top tier members. Anyone else having the same problem?

KirRoyale
    Participant

I don’t get cut off but the delays in speaking to a live person on the Gold Card line are generally considerable (5-10 mins). I don’t honestly see much of a difference in service quality between the dedicated line and using one of the other BA dial in numbers. Which is a shame.

Reeferman
    Participant

It’s not just the phone lines! Earlier this month, I sent an email to the address given to me by someone I was speaking with on the BAEC Gold card line. It took 6 days to get an auto-response acknowledging receipt, with a promise to revert within 72 hours. The reply took a further 4 days – so 10 days in total. Ironically, it told me that the email address (given to me by BA Gold card line remember) was the wrong one -and to phone BA!!

GeorgeJ
    Participant

Yes hopeless today, I was left hanging on the Gold card line to Bremen and just gave up after close to 15 minutes.
    Mind I think Amadeus is down worldwide and this may be putting a greater than normal strain on things.

MarkieMark99
    Participant

After many years of international business travel, I managed to secure a BA Gold Card for the first time last year, which was one of those things I had always aspired to achieve (I know, I’m shallow). This has now expired and I’m back to Silver again but to be honest, I’m not sure having this lofty recognition of my loyalty was really worth the hype, expenditure or reward. I didn’t experience anything tangibly more special in the on-board service or in correspondence with the EC online or by phone. Boarding is nothing special with the Silver and Bronze card-holders also fighting to get on-board to secure OH locker space. Apart from a full english breakfast in the slightly nicer T5 lounge (now with direct access), I think I will be able to move on post BA Gold and cope with the Silver rewards without too many withdrawal symptoms.

capetonianm
    Participant

After a few years of international business travel, I managed to secure a Lufthansa Senator Card, which was one of those things I had always aspired to achieve. Apart from the 40kg checked baggage allowance, which I used mostly to bring wine back from South Africa, there was nothing that I missed about when it expired. Nothing.

mkcol74
    Participant

Maybe too late for the OP but honestly, if you can, use Twitter. Once they know you’re a gold they really do try to respond very quickly, including calling you back if it’s something that can’t be typed in DMs. They’ve even phoned my mum, a lowly bronze or perhaps even blue, on a separate booking to help out with things a couple of times at my behest.

traveldoc1
    Participant

Into my second year of Platinum with Emirates and have to say I really enjoy the access to First Class lounges and the extra recognition from cabin crew. Maybe BA could take a lesson from Emirates (on this and so much else!!!)

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=828994]After many years of international business travel, I managed to secure a BA Gold Card for the first time last year, which was one of those things I had always aspired to achieve (I know, I’m shallow). This has now expired and I’m back to Silver again but to be honest, I’m not sure having this lofty recognition of my loyalty was really worth the hype, expenditure or reward. I didn’t experience anything tangibly more special in the on-board service or in correspondence with the EC online or by phone. Boarding is nothing special with the Silver and Bronze card-holders also fighting to get on-board to secure OH locker space. Apart from a full english breakfast in the slightly nicer T5 lounge (now with direct access), I think I will be able to move on post BA Gold and cope with the Silver rewards without too many withdrawal symptoms.

[/quote]

I agree with what you say. At the moment, I have a gold card, which I earn easily as I take regular premium economy round trips to the Middle East – 10 so far this year and I certainly would not go out of my way to retain it.

The best aspect of the card is the ‘F’ wing, the English breakfast in the F lounge is good, but you can buy something similar for a tenner in the outlets.

As soon as Emirates bring in premium economy, I’ll be off like a shot, as there will be no need to transfer at London (bye bye F wing) and I will either get a gold card with them or use payg lounges at MAN.

K1ngston
    Participant

For the first time in (like forever) I am now down to Bronze on BA, I know I have to mix with the great unwashed! On my last trip to UK I was able to get priority baggage here in SG (not in the UK) I was able to board with everyone else and I pulled a bit of a sly one to avoid the queues in T5!

I will be flying QR in J in Nov so will probably regain my Silver so I ask what is the real benefit of the top tiers of any airline?

I am Gold on SQ so that gives me nothing other than check in and first to board, so does status really matter??

jsn55
    Participant

Well, it’s British Air, isn’t it? Y’all are always making fun of Americans, but BA is quite interesting to observe. My fave is paying for seat selection when you’re flying first class. Who do these people think they are?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls