British Airways Global System Outage

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 226 total)

• FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=810661]Except that (BA’s) GoFly was anything but a fiasco. As LCCs went, it was one of the best at its launch – and that’s why Easyjet was delighted to snap it up when BA decided to sell. Yet another in a litany of half-baked, ill-considered decisions at BA’s board level, presumably in deference to the teenage scribblers in the investment analyst community. So, they ended up having to reinvent the wheel and buy-in an external solution to the LCC challenge: Vueling and its CEO…. Doh!

[/quote]

Nope, they needed to attend to the business gearing. Sold the asset for what turned out to be a steal, but put the cash on the balance sheet.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=810784]
    @ FDOS, regarding the Cardiff question, It was the aviation expert I listened too, on Radio Scotland earlier in the week. Tata apparently set up 2 different data centres in south Wales. Thanks Ahmad for clarifying

[/quote]

Thanks for clarifying.

maxgeorge
    Participant

It is quite clear that this entire fiasco has been the work of MR FDOS.

It’s his riposte to another Forum member’s recent suggestion that to criticize outsourcing to India is tantamount to racism.

“Exasperated rage” now extending to BA’s boardroom?

I think we should be told.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=810881]It is quite clear that this entire fiasco has been the work of MR FDOS.

It’s his riposte to another Forum member’s recent suggestion that to criticize outsourcing to India is tantamount to racism.

“Exasperated rage” now extending to BA’s boardroom?

I think we should be told.

[/quote]

I thnk you need one of these

http://www.dudleyhunt.co.uk/products/1/alarm_pill_reminder.aspx

maxgeorge
    Participant

Thank you for the tip, sir.

However, in times of stress and confusion, I usually rely on witblitz or mampoer.

Capetonian or Lugano Pirate can explain.

May I suggest you send a bottle to Sr Cruz?

Londonfrog
    Participant

That Cruz’ interview is 5 minutes of my life wasted that I will never get back. Not really sure what it accomplishes. And in regards to innovating of flat beds, that was different airline (BA) and it happened many moons ago. It is time for BA management to move on and stop bringing it up every time BA management needs to cramp the word “innovation” in.

SimonS1
    Participant

[quote quote=810661]Except that (BA’s) GoFly was anything but a fiasco. As LCCs went, it was one of the best at its launch – and that’s why Easyjet was delighted to snap it up when BA decided to sell.
    [/quote]

Except that Easyjet didn’t snap it up from BA either.

The airline was sold to its management for £100m. By that stage it was doing sufficiently well that only 11 months later the management sold out to Easyjet for £374m….

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=810958]mampoer[/quote]

Dit kan jou woorde verduidelik …..

PhilipHart
    Participant

A propos GoFly, Barbara Cassani’s book – “Go: An Airline Adventure” – was a great read, and can be bought for £0.01 (used) on Amazon.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=811032]A new twist to the saga.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-britain-airports-ba-idUSKBN18T0KV?utm_campaign=trueAnthem:+Trending+Content&utm_content=59311c3204d301766956893e&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter

[/quote]

This article makes no sense to me. We’re not talking about a home computer setup.

capetonianm
    Participant

It defies belief, mine anyway, that such a catastrophic event can be caused by one person throwing a switch (or a wobbly!) or pulling a plug and if this is the case then clearly there were inadequate procedures to prevent such a foreseeable event. If this did happen, and the ‘holes in the cheese’ lined up, then there wasn’t enough cheese, or there were too many holes. It would be rather like Donald Trump setting off a global nuclear war because he pressed the wrong button on his ‘phone while answering a call.

It reminds me of that old joke about the hospital which conducted an investigation because every Tuesday morning at 0920, whatever patient was in a particular bed would die. It turned out that the cleaner did a regular round at that time on a Tuesday and would unplug the support system to plug in his vacuum cleaner.

Ahmad
    Participant

FDOS_UK,

Stranger things have known to have happened. It is a Reuters report quoting the Times (I was busy and haven’t seen the Times itself). Can’t be totally off. But then I am no expert…

Charles-P
    Participant

Donald Trump setting off a global nuclear war because he pressed the wrong button on his ‘phone while answering a call.

That thought is going to linger….

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=811045]FDOS_UK,

Stranger things have known to have happened. It is a Reuters report quoting the Times (I was busy and haven’t seen the Times itself). Can’t be totally off. But then I am no expert…

[/quote]

Ahmad

Have a look at this video to get a sense of what a power shutdown looks like (and transfer to UP, then generator), as I say, you’re not dealing with a home computer 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 226 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls