British Airways Global System Outage

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 226 total)

• summerfly
    Participant

Ba flights delayed worldwide due to IT problems…

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40069865

Intheair
    Blocked

All flights from LHR and LGW cancelled until 6pm today

SimonS1
    Participant

What a nightmare for anyone travelling.

Whoever is on duty over on FT will be working overtime to polish this particular brown one from BA.

Probably helps answer the question re the ‘world’s most successful airline’ though….

canucklad
    Participant

Sadly for BA this isn’t newsworthy, the relative frequency of these IT issues suggest that this is the new norm at the world’s most successful airline – lol

Intheair
    Blocked

Issues of this type happen to all customers. What distinguishes a good company is how they manage it. BA, and most airlines to be fair, fall short when managing the unexpected

rferguson
    Participant

Oh but it’s such a cost saving outsourcing the entire IT department!

You pay peanuts you get monkeys….simples.

rferguson
    Participant

All crews due to stew on departures before 18:00BST have been told to stay at home and not come to the airport.

Reeferman
    Participant

Am trying to calculate the cost to BA – actual £ before taking into account any loss of goodwill/future travel etc.

All passengers delayed 3 hours or more are going to be entitled to between €250 and €600 – plus refreshment costs etc. BA carried 44.5m passengers in 2016 (IAG annual report)- an average of around 122,000 a day. If 80% of these are through Gatwick/Heathrow (a “back-of-the -envelope” guess) – that’s 97,500 today. If only half were delayed 3 hours+ at an average of €400 compensation plus, say, €25 refreshments etc – that a direct cost of around £18m.

Off-setting some of this is the saving in fuel/staff costs from planes not flying.

As ferguson says, outsourcing the entire IT dept doesn’t seem such a good idea now!

Cloud-9
    Participant

Possibly a ransomware hack (according to the twitterati).

Makes sense: a bank holiday weekend would be a good time as it would inconvenience many passengers.

Whatever drives these hackers is beyond me if true….

PeterCoultas
    Participant

disaster for passengers travelling through Heathrow….WHAT IS NEW….sad for BA though but if you pay monkeys what to expect…unfortunately m recent experiences with Fly Scare mean that I’ll still (assuming they survive) fly with BA

capetonianm
    Participant

Exactly as so many have said, it’s what happens with constant cost cutting. Having had some involvement, I got out long ago, partly because I saw this coming.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I would have expected this from a loco…. perhaps Ryan but not BA.

Seems to follow similar incidents in the States…

Presume ‘outage’ is a euphemism for ‘sorry our computers are scr**ed’

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

SimonS1
    Participant

You can be confident that BA will try and lie their way out of EU261 compensation too. The usual pattern would be to claim it’s outside their control, then not tell people and hope people don’t claim even though they have the contact details for everyone travelling.

If BA made beers it would be “probably the best knats piss in the world”.

capetonianm
    Participant

It’s within their control, it’s their subcontractors. I don’t see how EU261 can not apply.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 226 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls