BA extending BAEC Tier Level as Compo

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)

• FDOS_UK
    Participant

I haven’t written anything on this, before, but a post by Matias K on another thread has prompted me to start a new topics, so as not to drift the other thread.

Mathias posted

Regarding the BA Tier level extension, I received an email offering me this – however, my tier year comes to an end this month, and I already have more than the required tier points needed to “renew” my level for the following year, and even have flights booked for the next year. I’ve raised this issue with BA executive club, but they refused to give me any further information on this, other than “that’s all we can do”. Also, they stated several times now that there is no escalation procedure – which I find very strange indeed.
    Giving me the renewal of the Tier year as a goodwill gesture, despite the fact that I already have this – I find this quite insulting. Anyone else who has had this issue? Any suggestions who else to contact?

I am all for people being compensated for service failures (and that should be in cash, as mandated by EC261 or in vouchers by mutual agreement) and there were some dreadful experiences during the outage, but I’m not sure that offering to extend BAEC tiers is good for most people; why?

– it will annoy some people, like Mathias_K
    – it will annoy some other people who do not get it and have suffered disruption
    – the GC and GF lounges are pretty busy and the people who benefit from this offer would be customers who would have dropped down a tier or lost lounge access completely – is it smart to deliberately increase lounge occupancy to the detriment of other members?

If you look at the structure of the BAEC, it is deliberately structured to attract people to travel with BA and reward them for it – this move seems counter intuititve to me – what do others think?

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Good thread.

I was speaking with a friend outside the industry.

They were about to lose their tier status and were flying during the period of the disruption.

They were not disrupted at all, but have subsequently been offered this. Understandably, they regard it as a windfall.

Interestingly, in terms of loyalty to BA, it hasn’t made any difference. Their perception of BA (both good and bad) hasn’t changed. Instead they see it as a broad brush measure they have been lucky enough to be included in. If loyalty is recognition, they see themselves as having benefited from the mis-recognition in a sense.

The example of Mathias is one where it has been negative. To others (who were affected by the disruption), it’s a gesture that is something, but not enough – they will seek compensation. And to my friends, they see it as a piece of luck.

As for the lounges being crowded. Regular flyers might care, but those who were about to lose access will just rush for the remaining seats.

Switzerlanding
    Participant

My gold was extended which naturally I was ‘happy’ with but I have to agree with each point you raise FDOS_UK especially regarding the lounges. Also the extra period of gold hasn’t triggered anything in my mind or come to it, my heart, to fly BA more or really go back to them at the levels I was previously…

MartynSinclair
    Participant

or perhaps it was a case of BAEC mass emailing all who were within a margin of any next tier, an easier option than trying to identify those who were actually affected by the outage.

mkcol74
    Participant

I happened to renew my gold this year in mid-May, with my expiry date being 30/04/2019.
    I had 2 flights on 29th May affected – one cancelled altogether, the 2nd I couldn’t make due to the 1st being canx. I’ve been suitably EU261 compensated for both, just waiting on the ££ being refunded for both sectors which is a nuisance but it’ll happen.
    I then had the email from James Hillier extending my status by 2 years, which I felt was a nice gesture however just made me think I didn’t have to rush to fly BA anytime soon to maintain gold (no loss there either!).
    What has stuck in the craw – my expiry date has been extended to 30/04/2020. I’ve complained to customer relations, and emailed James & Alex Cruz directly to no avail. So their offer has now left a bad taste in the mouth as they clearly cannot count.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

mkcol74 – this makes me laugh. You are rewarded with basically a tier point free Gold year – yet passengers who earn rewards when they actually travel with BA & earn sufficient tier points (upgrade vouchers) are told that due to their extensive and particular BA travel profile, its impossible to use the upgrade vouchers on the very routes they are earned.

Makes me feel great when I can use the system to get an ex Europe ticket to Asia for £1,300 in J with enough airmiles to fly 6 sectors within northern Europe.

BA remains my airline of choice because the system allows me to fly for free! mkco;74, enjoy your free Gold year….

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=817839]mkcol74 – this makes me laugh. You are rewarded with basically a tier point free Gold year – yet passengers who earn rewards when they actually travel with BA & earn sufficient tier points (upgrade vouchers) are told that due to their extensive and particular BA travel profile, its impossible to use the upgrade vouchers on the very routes they are earned.

Makes me feel great when I can use the system to get an ex Europe ticket to Asia for £1,300 in J with enough airmiles to fly 6 sectors within northern Europe.

BA remains my airline of choice because the system allows me to fly for free! mkco;74, enjoy your free Gold year….

[/quote]

Martyn, surely the point is that two years means two years, not one year?

I appreciate your frustrations with the redemption system, but that’s a different situation.

I understand why mkcol74 is annoyed and BA does seem to have p*ssed off a lot of people with this initiative.

mkcol74
    Participant

[quote quote=817933]

mkcol74 – this makes me laugh. You are rewarded with basically a tier point free Gold year – yet passengers who earn rewards when they actually travel with BA & earn sufficient tier points (upgrade vouchers) are told that due to their extensive and particular BA travel profile, its impossible to use the upgrade vouchers on the very routes they are earned.

Martyn, surely the point is that two years means two years, not one year?

I appreciate your frustrations with the redemption system, but that’s a different situation.

I understand why mkcol74 is annoyed and BA does seem to have p*ssed off a lot of people with this initiative.

[/quote]

@FDOS_UK
    You’ve summed it up – 2 years means 2 years.

I’d have been fine with the EU mandated compo & fare refund. The gold extension was a lovely gesture, which they then effed-up. My husband is silver & was on the same affected trip. He got a genuine 2 year extension.

Intheair
    Blocked

If the poster had a renewed gold card from this year, shouldn’t the original expiry date be April 2018?

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=817976]Participant

I happened to renew my gold this year in mid-May, with my expiry date being 30/04/2019.[/quote]

What part of the first line of mkcol74’s post is difficult for you to understand?

If you specify, I’ll do my best to explain to you.

penfold69
    Participant

I think what Intheair meant, was how come it’s valid for 2 years from this year already and not just 1 year. I’m not a Gold card holder, so do not know how long they are valid for. Is it the case that they are valid for 2 years? Or is that only when you’ve had one for a specific time?

AlanOrton1
    Participant

This would be my take:
    If mkcol74’s renewal year started on 1st May 2017, she’d need to earn 1,500 TP’s anytime over the next 12 months / prior to 30th April 2018, and then would get another 12 months of Gold, to take her through to 30th April 2019.
    It sounds like she obtained 1,500 TP’s in the first half of May (impressive amount of flying!), hence why she is gold until 30th April 2019. Or 30th April 2020 given BA’s largesse. Or lack thereof, as if they were going to extend gold by 2 years, as mkcol74 had already achieved gold until 30th April 2019, strictly speaking it should now be extended to 30th April 2021.

I could of course have this completely wrong!

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=817991]This would be my take:
    If mkcol74’s renewal year started on 1st May 2017, she’d need to earn 1,500 TP’s anytime over the next 12 months / prior to 30th April 2018, and then would get another 12 months of Gold, to take her through to 30th April 2019.
    It sounds like she obtained 1,500 TP’s in the first half of May (impressive amount of flying!), hence why she is gold until 30th April 2019. Or 30th April 2020 given BA’s largesse. Or lack thereof, as if they were going to extend gold by 2 years, as mkcol74 had already achieved gold until 30th April 2019, strictly speaking it should now be extended to 30th April 2021.

I could of course have this completely wrong!

[/quote]

No, I think you’re right. If you take longer F flights, it’s quite feasible to earn Gold in a week.

My quickest renewal was 6 weeks, with a combo of J (on QR) and W (on BA).

Intheair
    Blocked

FDOS

You are very rude – and somewhat stupid.

When my gold card is renewed it is for one year. If the poster had it renewed for two years, I find that surprising but that was the question I was asking.

You have some serious issues.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=818016]FDOS

You are very rude – and somewhat stupid.

When my gold card is renewed it is for one year. If the poster had it renewed for two years, I find that surprising but that was the question I was asking.

You have some serious issues.

[/quote]

The answer is clear, AlanOrton1 explained it.

mkcol74 has posted on here for a long time and has credibility with me, you don’t.

You were the one who has been very rude in the past and not just to me, so on the basis of reciprocity you get what you give.

Ta-ra.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls