BA Cabin Crew Name Badges

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

• BugAdvisor
    Participant

This isn’t important to me, but I just wondered why some BA crew badges have FirstName LastName and some just have FirstName only.
    The reasons I can think of are:
    Staff choose to have their surname removed for personal security, passenger turns stalker reasons
    Mixed fleet are only allowed first name – maybe so the badges can be re-used after they leave within a year!

FDOS_UK
    Participant

It’s cost saving, printing one name is less expensive.

BA did this with their aircraft in the 1980s and the idea has been recycled as a new management initiative.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/British-Airways/Boeing-737-236-Adv/1485642/L/

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

I just asked since I am onboard (and if crew are reading this, I’m sure they will correct me if this is wrong).

I’m told it’s the individual’s choice.

So the FA I just spoke with says on his jacket he has first and last names, but on his shirt and waistcoat, he just has his first name.

(He is Main fleet, but he thinks its the same for Mixed because it’s the same ordering system).

His first name is Gary, and he says if he wanted it to say Gaz they would probably let him (though he wouldn’t do that, he says).
    That wasn’t really his name or the example – just to give you the idea.

EU_Flyer
    Participant

It all started with the CEO. Why be Mr Walsh if you can be called Willie?

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=834782]It all started with the CEO. Why be Mr Walsh if you can be called Willie?
    [/quote]

Does that mean that his short form nickname is Dick? 😉

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Actually – bit of an update….

It’s more complicated.

At the moment, I believe Mixed Fleet have to have both names, while Main Fleet have the choice.

But in time everyone will move to one name (maybe for privacy reasons?)

EU_Flyer
    Participant

[quote quote=834778]His first name is Gary, and he says if he wanted it to say Gaz they would probably let him (though he wouldn’t do that, he says). That wasn’t really his name or the example – just to give you the idea.
    [/quote]

I’ve met Gaz and his real name is Barry. Or Baz.

EU_Flyer
    Participant

[quote quote=834791]

Does that mean that his short form nickname is Dick? ?
    [/quote]

So rude.

It’s Dickie. Rhymes with Willie.

Am I in trouble yet? (not even Friday)

DerekVH
    Participant

Easy to find someone on social media if you have first and last name – I can understand why a move to first name only would be preferred by most staff.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=834803]

So rude.
    [/quote]

No it doesn’t, silly does, though 🙂

rferguson
    Participant

Hi Bugadvisor,

The name badge comes under the domain of BA’s Uniform Standards.

Oddly there are two different sets of uniform standards – one for the legacy crew and one for the new Mixed Fleet crew.

For the legacy crew it is at their discretion as to whether they order their name badge with their first name only or full name. CSD’s have to have their full name, as do all Mixed Fleet crew.

There has been some amalgamation of standards. For example originally ONLY MF female crew wore the hat. Now the legacy crew on the A380 and 787 do also. Previously MF female crew were not allowed to wear trousers and the skirt was mandatory like their legacy crew colleagues. They are now able to wear trousers. Even things like tattoos – for legacy crew the requirement was always that any tattoos be covered and not visible. For MF ANY tattoo prevented an potential candidate from applying even if it was in an area that could be covered. They have now changed this silly rule to that of the legacy crew.

EU_Flyer
    Participant

Cabin Crew are safety and service providers. I don’t see the relevance of cabin crew name tags including a surname. For identification purposes a passenger can always ask the crew member for their surname and explain why they need it (ie to write in a compliment etc). The crew member can provide it at their discretion. In any case, if there is a serious need to identify a crew member there are other ways of achieving this, such as their ID card.

EU_Flyer
    Participant

[quote quote=834803]

So rude.
    [/quote]

Apologies. Too much fizzie drink last night.

rferguson
    Participant

[quote quote=834931]Cabin Crew are safety and service providers. I don’t see the relevance of cabin crew name tags including a surname. For identification purposes a passenger can always ask the crew member for their surname and explain why they need it (ie to write in a compliment etc). The crew member can provide it at their discretion. In any case, if there is a serious need to identify a crew member there are other ways of achieving this, such as their ID card.
    [/quote]

Hi Alex. Actually even if writing a compliment/complaint letter about a crew member you wouldn’t need a surname. On each flight the Senior Cabin Crew member completes an ‘onboard form’ on the iPad and enters where on the aircraft all the crew are working. Which cabin, which aisle etc. So theoretically even if you had no name at all and sent a letter with your seat number Customer Relations would notify the crew member/members working in that aisle or part of the aircraft. I guess there could be a situation where you might have two ‘Janes’ working in First Class or on a short haul airbus and if you really wanted to recognise one of them it would be necessary to ask for a name.

Personally, I choose to have my full name on my name badge. No social media stalkers so far (sigh). Lol.

canucklad
    Participant

I think DerekVH makes a very relevant point, and I’m surprised that it forms part of a uniform standard to have a person’s full name displayed prominently.

In this day and age of face recognition software aligned to easy access to social media and its inherent risks, I’d have thought that BA would have a duty of care to protect its customer facing employees from the potential threat of deranged nutter’s who have disembarked into the wilderness of anonymity.

I get that rferguson doesn’t mind sharing his full name, but I’d ask rferguson if he’d be happy to reveal his full name to the unknown loons he’s serving if his name was Chumba Wamba or Bobby Bordeaux or some other name, and no disrespect that is not as common as Ferguson.

In my work place, customer facing employees are encouraged not to share their full name if it’s requested. Rather they share their employee id number and their first name. And our compliance officers absolutely agree with this approach.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls