BA Appaling Customer Service

Back to Forum
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

• AnnetteTilbury
    Participant

We have been trying to get a ticket issued for a flight booked for weeks now. 3 of us are travelling on 2 bookings one was ticketed immediately and we were able to book our seats we have had several issues where the security code is only held for a short period so once past they have to contact you to take it again. We have to keep calling them currently sitting on hold its been nearly 2 hours now with no idea where you are in the queue or for how much longer.

BA really seem to have lost the plot, I have been a loyal customer for years after my father worked for them but I am really losing my patients and their indifference to customers or even rude manner. What has happened

UKFly79
    Participant

What security code are you talking about? Surely you only need the booking reference and surname to access the booking.

If you have been a loyal customer for many years I might assume you are gold, ggl, or even a Prem; in which case contact your dedicated line and ask them to link the two bookings together and/or select seats for you to be seated together

FDOS_UK
    Participant

UKFly79 – bit straight to the point? Especially when you don’t seem to understand the issue 🙁

She is talking about the credit or debit card security number; BA can be slow at ticketing and the security # is not persistent on their systems, meaning a frustratingly long wait and several calls to get the ticket issued.

Good luck Annette and welcome to BT – I hope you choose to stick around and let us know how it worked out in the end.

capetonianm
    Participant

Sorry but I’m with UKFly on this, I don’t understand the bit about the security code. The ticketing carrier enters the credit card number and the authorisation code is returned into the system and the ticket is issued.

Possibly the original posting needs to be better explained but I’m not sure what the problem is. Other than that, I agree entirely with the sentiments expressed.

“BA really seem to have lost the plot………….. their indifference to customers or even rude manner.”

FDOS_UK
    Participant

capetonianm

I do understand this and the problem is the system only retains the credit card security code for X days. I

This issue often arises when manual ticketing is required and there is a queue prioritised by departure date, meaning that the security code may have to be re-entered on more than one occasion.

Don’task me why it works this way, I don’t know, but having experienced it, I can attest to the accuracy of Annette’s post.

AnnetteTilbury
    Participant

FDOS_UK you describe the situation perfectly, if they ticketed when you booked no problem but as they have a back log you just have to wait.

Eventually after being told we could use the dedicated line for bronze members as the passenger (mother) does not hold this status & Avios used we had to call another number but bregudgingly she agreed to transfer me.

After another 45 mins spoke to a helpful lady who said they don’t do it Saturdays but to call between 9-5pm Monday when I explained I work full time she said she was in on Monday so would do it then.

Half an hour later get a call from mother she had an email to call BA urgently. Another call more holding they had tried to ticket but credit card security code no longer available provided it again and asked the issue the ticket immediately which the did. How much extra work must this process cause it happens so often it’s madness but at least is sorted now.

SimonS1
    Participant

Very irritating. However with BA’s recent record on the IT front we should all be thankful that the security code is not retained for longer.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

Pleased it is sorted out, Annette, but agree it is appalling that you have to jump through hoops to give them money.

capetonianm
    Participant

I am pleased it’s sorted out but I am curious to understand the problem.

Are we talking about the CC

authorisation

code, or something else.

Regardless of how the ticket has to be issued, and I fully understand the process as I have run airline ticketing desks, I do not get the ‘security code’ part of this. The original post seems to imply that the passenger gets the code, and gives it to the airline, who put it into the system, and by the time the ticket comes up on the ticketing queue for issuance, the code has expired. This is not how the CC authorisation process works. The CC number is put into the system as an FP element
    (FPCCCA5412345678901234/0918) for example. When the ticket issue process takes place, the system obtains, through a SITA link and in real time, the authorisation for the credit card, appends it to the FP line with a /A1234 and the ticket is issued.

In extremely rare cases where for some reason this process is not used, the airline can either call the CC authorisation centre and get a manual authorisation number which is appended manually to the above entry with /N1234, or they can obtain it through the system with a DE entry.

Therefore, can someone please clarify exactly what ‘security code’ is under discussion.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

capetonianm

See post numbers 821834 line 2 and 821854, line 1.

capetonianm
    Participant

Thanks, gotcha!
    I thought it referred to an authorisation code, which is why I got the wrong end of the stick, as those do have a (variable) limited validity.
    We generally refer to the ‘security code’ as a CVV and there is a setting in the office profile which determines how long it is retained for prior to ticketing. At ticketing, it disappears.
    I would have thought that BA being aware of the problem might review this problem area.
    There is a workaround whereby it can be saved in another field, but for obvious reasons that is not very kosher.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls