BA A380 provisional seat map

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 113 total)

• Anonymous

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

Be curious to know how many cabin crew they would have just to cater for this flight. A Full J Class with 97 passengers is going to keep a lot of people busy.

DontTurnRight
    Participant

Whilst clearly provisional at this stage, it looks completely lacking in innovation and imagination. Business Class is also all over the place, instead of on one deck. This (along with the B787s) could be a great opportunity to make BA special again. Fingers crossed, we will still see something special.

Henkel.Trocken
    Participant

Clearly nothing new here. Maybe F will be a little less overcrowded but eight across in C on the main deck and seven on the upper deck? Competitors must be laughing their socks off.

Has any other carrier introduced the A380 without either a new F or C product?

Many have introduced totally new premium cabins.

Such a missed opportunity. Again.

seanyjmuclhr
    Participant

While it is easy to play armchair CEO and profess to know everything under the sun airline-wise, I don’t understand why a) F is on the lower deck and b) C and Y are split across both decks.

Yes, some A380 operators put F on the lower deck and others on the upper, but perceptively by being a premium product, F – in my very humble opinion – belongs definitely upstairs.

As for C and Y, surely, it would make for better organization to have C upstairs and Y downstairs. Seems to me that LH has it right when it comes to where they have placed the classes on the A380.

As for their products, that can be another debate, but for the placement, I think they have it right.

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

Maybe the front of the upper deck doesn’t have the space for 14 F seats, without impacting space behind?

Henkel.Trocken
    Participant

Good point seanyjmuclhr.

I doubt the SQ suites would fit on the upper deck as EK have them, they are larger. There is something nice and spacious about F on QF and AF at the front of the main deck, the head height is much greater than upstairs and it feels good.

I don’t think any other carrier has put C on the main deck, some have the entire top deck as C others have Y or premium Y.

BA C is of course very dense in terms of arrangement but goodness only knows why they have chosen to arrange it over two decks.

scott66
    Participant

For all the speculation over BA’s A380 configuration, no one guessed that CW would be split over two deck.

Most of us would love to know the reasoning for this ‘unique’ configuration.

I’ve previously been positive on the ‘cosy nook’ – two centre seats together in CW, looking at the upstairs floor plan the centre seat on it’s own makes me feel claustrophobic, I can imagine these will be the least favourite seats.

Tim2soza
    Participant

Could the split level J class be to allow as many premium PAX as possible off the plane ahead of W and Y PAX?

Gold-2K
    Participant

First at front of main deck works well as the cabin is very wide. Also it means that First passengers have their own air bridge. On QF the front air bridge is reserved only for First passengers. The challenge with putting first upstairs is that there is only one entry / exit door. not very exclusive!!

I am however disappointed with the seat plan. I had hoped that BA were working on something behind the scenes and would “surprise and delight” us. Lets hope at least in first they create more personal space like QF have done. But looks like its wobbly off-white privacy screens and jumping over strangers feet for the foreseeable future for J pax.

What a shame – what a missed opportunity! I can’t believe that even AA is rolling out a superior J product and BA seem content to allow if to happen.

JohnPhelanAustralia
    Participant

I suspect BA is trying to avoid the “J class dormitory” look (a la 777) by splitting J over the two decks. This way, there are several ‘mini cabins’, rather than one huge one.

Almost all carriers have F on the lower deck; as Gold-2K says, it can work quite well if the airbridge at 1L is used only for F pax.

The BA J design is clever, and one that I like (much prefer it to the two conventional ‘side-by-side’, if travelling solo). The access to the window seats is a bit of a problem. It seems like the back row in each of the J sections is going to have an access way between the footrest and the bulkhead, so those seats will become the 62A and 62K of the A380.

Airbus continues to have issues with A380 engines. An EK A380 had an engine explosion shortly after takeoff from SYD this week, had to go out to sea, dump fuel and return to SYD. Presumably BA will use the RR engines, same as QF. Hopefully RR has ensured they will no longer disintegrate in flight and take portions of the wing with them!

SteveJohnsonIn0z
    Participant

Hang on a tick, does anybody even know how ‘legit’ this alleged seatmap is? These ‘source’ sites don’t have a great track record when it comes to news and rumours, and here we have what is not only a seatmap without any indication of its origin but one described as a ‘preliminary’ one at that! I would suggest everyone calm down and don’t take this as Gospel!

Senator
    Participant

Henkel.Trocken, Lufthansa did offer a new F with the A380. This seat is being rolled out to the A340-xxx and A330-300 as well as the new B747-8i. The retro-fitted B747-400s have the separate chair/bed option in F.

Stowage222
    Participant

Tim
    I understand Qantas operates their A380 with 22 crew. 1 customer service manager and 1 purser – the rest main crew. I can’t imagine BA doing anything different.

As for the split J class – could it have something to do with the weight of the seats? Maybe the floorpan isn’t strong enough for over 90 units. Just a thought.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 113 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls