BA 787-9 launch routes?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

• Anonymous

BA744fan
    Participant

3 months until BA are scheduled to take the first of 5 787-9s in 2015 and still no word on where they are going to fly.

Seem to be leaving it very late to announce first routes, unless the programme is delayed.

As the 787-9 will be 4 class, we can rule out routes that are only served with existing 3 class configured planes, so who are the front runners?

All the deliveries in 2015 and 2016 will net off with retirements so there won’t be any increase in the number of long haul planes, which pretty much rules out any new destinations.

I’m going to start the bidding with KUL.

Flyboy18
    Participant

Delhi

navnov11
    Participant

Mumbai

Str8Talking
    Participant

JFK

icenspice
    Participant

Toronto and Newark

Fly_away
    Participant

Shanghai and Boston

skywards
    Participant

Philadelphia.

rferguson
    Participant

BA are indeed being tight lipped about the 787-9.

One rumour doing the rounds is that there are issues with the ‘refreshed’ F seat being fitted to the aircraft.

As BA744fan says there isn’t much of a gain in total long haul aircraft this year. As the 787’9’s arrive some 767’s and 747’s will be retired.

My feeling is that the initial 787-9’s will replace some current 787 routes – most likely EWR.

KUL is also reported to being switched to a 787 in the winter timetable (though will be interesting to see if it’s the -8 or -9)/

sparkyflier
    Participant

KUL on a 788 will be a total nightmare in Y, forget Dreamliner, more like a scream/nightmare liner. It is very uncomfortable in Y with ultra narrow seats. BA should use this aircraft in their shortest routes…. And if you had the choice of a MH A380 versus a BA 787 why would you choose the 787?

rferguson
    Participant

Sparkflyer I guess when it comes to economy the airlines know most people’s biggest concern is price. The same could be said for Newark – why would anyone choose the 787 in Y over a 777 flight in Y with more personal space?

As an aside, I was surprised to find out that the 787 has the highest ‘net promoter score’ of any of BA’s aircraft types – across BOTH cabins (which amazed me). Even higher than the A380.

I do agree with you though, the economy seating is very tight. THANKFULLY BA has realised this and although the 787-9’s will remain nine abreast (which in fairness has now become the ‘standard’ amongst 99% of 787 operators) the seat pitch will be increased. This will also be retrofitted on the current -8’s.

mkcol74
    Participant

I’d selfishly love it to be KUL too given I’m off there on 31/08!

BA744fan
    Participant

McCol74 – whilst your trip is sooner than expected first delivery, it is conceivable BA might road test the route with the 787-8 prior to ramping up to its bigger sister. I believe the 787-8 is much smaller than the current 772 on the route so I can’t see it. Plus of course the 787-8 is only 3 class and the 772 is 4 class.

mkcol74
    Participant

@BA744fan – double edged sword there as we’re booked in First :-/

AisleSeatTraveller
    Participant

will it be used to replace 777-200 on thinner routes, thus utilising it’s greater efficiency?

or used to launch new routes, Jakarta direct, perhaps

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls