BA 767 mid/short haul

Back to Forum
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

• Anonymous

connorJohnson
    Participant

Is there any news on the refurbishment on the 767-300 for the mid and short haul routes

Str8Talking
    Participant

AspirationalFlyer
    Participant

I think the refurbished world traveller cabins of the 767 fleet are a significant and much needed improvement. I overheard other passengers on a recent flight from Rome to Heathrow say that they thought the aircraft was new – interesting how people’s perception of the age of an aircraft is largely driven by the quality and finishing of the interior.

As regards the medium haul routes – my personal view is that significant improvement is required in in-flight entertainement and the overcall cabin experience in the Club Europe cabin. BA does not compare favourably with Turkish Airlines in this regard (although I accept Turkish are generally more expensive on the LHR-Istanbul route) – maybe the shortfall will be addressed at some point by a medium haul 787?

SergeantMajor
    Participant

Aren’t the 767s for the imminent chop?

I thought they would gradually be replaced by 787s over the next two years?

connorJohnson
    Participant

So for instance does that mean heathrow-larnaca will in the next couple of years that route will be a 787 route or will it stopped. I recently travelled on this route and the 767 is joke. No recent/decent movie,food was meh, and well for 4 hour/5hour flight (outbound is a night-overnight flight) the seats are old,ripped,uncleaned and well just not the money you pay for. Why can’t they put some sort of craddle seat or a Club World seat in. Surely it will make Cyprus a more attractive as a holiday destination and people will want to pay the money for that. When you have a decent seat to sit in

FlyerDoc
    Participant

As far as i am aware the 767 short haul soft refurb has been completed.
    Flew to IST in CE last week and all the seats looked new. Pleasant flight, though one of the main courses ran out.

On a few separate issues…Firstly, the breakfast in Galleries Silver was fine, so teething problems with the new supplier may have been resolved. Secondly, CE really does need a completely new seat, something akin to WT+ for the longer segments. Thirdly, the third party lounge at IST was reasonably good, if a little small, though i have no experience of the previous BA lounge there. I particularly liked the bar with beer on draught, and couldn’t help think how good this concept would be on board in the next gen CW.

rferguson
    Participant

The 767 short haul refurb is complete and the aircraft will remain in service until 2014-2016

Re the long haul 767 the refurbishment is now complete.

The 7 non refurbished 767’s will be retired by end of 2014.

The 7 refurbished 767’s will stay in the fleet until 2017.

***these are my personal views only and not of my employer***

Str8Talking
    Participant

connorJohnson – I can’t see BA deploying a brand new state of the art (albeit with teething problems) aircraft on the LCA route. I think this is more likely to eventually move to an A320/321 aircraft. BA did try to make this shift a year and a half ago but the flights were too busy. I suspect, however, that the addition of the LGW flight is part of this plan. The London-Larnaca route is the island’s most popular and well served route and since CY got rid of their A330s, BA is the only scheduled carrier to still be operating a widebody aircraft on this route. Without much effort, and since Aegean abandoned the route due to slot restrictions at Heathrow, they now have the best product on the market for this route (which doesn’t say a lot). Why would they want to up their game?

Personally, I think even a WT+ product instead of the current CE product would be superior and more comfortable. I don’t think that’s such a big ask! Understandably, the route is fairly insignificant to BA compared to its overall network and premium market share, so I wouldn’t expect a Club World product, but a little bit of customer consideration would be nice.

Tirana1
    Participant

Does anyone know what has happened with the long haul 767 refit ? Having taken 3 767 long haul flights in the past 6 months, (2 of which suffered tech issues) my impression is that those interiors are in a shocking state but given the overall shortage of 767 long haul aircraft BA has suffered I assumed that the refurb plan had been quietly dropped.

rferguson
    Participant

Tirana see my post above.

There are 14 long haul 767’s in service.

Seven have been refurbished. They will stayin service until 2017 when they will retire. The other seven that have not been refurbished will be retired next year.

Hermes1964
    Participant

Does anyone happen to recall when the first announcement of 767 retirement was made? These do seem like cats with nine lives and on the point of retirememnt since they were first introduced.

I’ve always been a fan of the 767 since my first trip in FC on an Ansett -200 in the early 80s and won’t do them down just because they are getting on a bit. Always seem solid and reassuring somehow and the seating arrangement is the best possible for long haul economy in terms of aisle access, though always more of a squeeze at the front.

I’d settle for a shabby 767 than, say, a tidy 737 (which I abhor) any day.

rferguson
    Participant

Haha so true Hermes. I think they should have ALL gone around two years ago. That was the original forecast for the 787 deliveries anyway.

I agree with you in terms of the cabins as well. Yes, they are old and tatty. But where else (at BA anyway) can you get a 2x2x2 flat bed J cabin or even better a 2x2x2 World Traveller Plus ‘mini cabin’ with it’s own loo? In W or Y i’d chose the 767 over any other of BA’s long haul aircraft without hesitation.

***these comments are my own view, not those of my employer***

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls