BA 747 old first to miami – awful

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)

• pdtraveller
    Participant

Old, New, 30% bigger, un primed, most recent………..the BA marketing departed must curl up with embarrassment when they see this.

Whatever you call it it most certainly is not a First Class product if compared to SQ EK QR CX KE OZ QF LH and even AA.

My preferred name is Club world plus and then I can’t be disappointed.

millionsofmiles
    Participant

UK to MIA..there are so many options.

Via FRA, via ZRH, via CDG….just to name three:
    you get a First that deserves the name with much more space instead of the cramped BA seating, the plane is clean and not a methusalem, the lounge is clean, the food can be eaten without fears of food poisoning, without fruit flies in the food and it is not produced in a filthy kitchen by a filthy chef as it is the case with BA.

Why anybody pays and flies BA First…now that is beyond me.

davey_boy
    Participant

I am not the biggest BA fan. However with the trip reports coming through as of late, I may seriously consider giving the BA “New” New First or New First Plus (however you wish to call it) a go. Once they have sorted out the hygiene issues on the ground.

http://www.businesstraveller.com/tried-and-tested/airlines/british-airways/british-airways-a380-first-class

http://www.svenblogt.de/airline-review-british-airways-new-first-class-on-the-a380-to-los-angeles-inaugural-flight/

Bullfrog
    Participant

I’m due to fly to Miami in November .. In First.
    Having I been missing something if I am unaware of issues regarding hygiene with BA on the ground ? I’ll start a new topic.

cityprofessional
    Participant

Ugh, not just F. I had the misfortune of two flights in WTP on the mid-J 747s, and they were truly hideous. Technical delays, no in-seat power, non-operational AVOD (on both flights), filthy aircraft, well-meaning but rushed-off-their-feet cabin crew (1 crew member – 36 WTP pax – ideal ratio for fast service on a midnight flight… actually 2am by the time technical problem was resolved)

These planes either need to be retired NOW or fully refurbed (a la Thai). It’s all very well saying how amazing the new products, but they are only available on selected flights to 2-3 destinations. There are still a helluvalot more ancient 747s than A380s and 787s in the fleet, and until they go, you are far better off taking a Middle East or Far Eastern competitor that will charge you less and provide a better quality service on brand new planes

Tirana1
    Participant

Simply ensuring that there is proper deep cleaning of the older 747 and 767 fleet would be a good start – but based on my experience of the 767’s it is not something that is prioritised. My last 767 back from Almaty was disgusting.

dutchyankee
    Participant

Due to a retiming of my connecting flight in December, BA have changed me from BA flight from LHR to DFW connecting to JAX to an AA operated flight from LHR to MIA connecting to JAX. With all the talk about BA`s F on this route, I think I should be happy to be on AA equipment, or am I mistaken?

Ah,Mr.Bond
    Participant

… And now they are putting this mid J aircraft onto LHR-JFK route replacing the 777. Would very much like to meet the person responsible for this commercial decision.

joeadvisory
    Participant

the AA first is old AA first which nonetheless is better than new or old BA first for 2 reasons. 1stly the seat is bigger and 2nd cabin is open and not claustrophobic. for me the crucial thing is that the seat on old AA first or new AA first is better than BA. Biz class AA to MIa is on the otherhand better on BA as AA seat is old style sloping seat whilst u know what BA is. The joke is as someone else mentioned, BA biz is better than BA first. by the way, re pricing I often find if I book on AA website and pay in dollars but use BA flight where approp (AA site shows AA and BA options), sometimes it is cheaper than buying on BA website?

cityprofessional
    Participant

@dutchyankee That’s a clear downgrade, if nothing else because of the airport experience (at LHR T3; and the 3 hour wait at immigration in MIA)

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

Dutchyankee

I don’t know what date you are travelling but if you have not yet accepted the time change from BA, could you get on the BA1504 via DFW as this is the new AA 777-300ER. Would this earlier departure meet the connection?

dutchyankee
    Participant

Unfortunately, I am stuck with this as the last flight from DFW to JAX has been axed so it would require an overnight in DFW. I agree about the horror that is MIA immigration which is why I normally avoid it like the plague, but I am traveling on 21 December which will be hell of course, and most options are full. My better half is French to compound the immigration nightmare (i arrive on my US passport)! Hopefully the flight has good champagne as I will need it before MIA arrival!

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

There are 2 seats in First on the below. the BA flight is a 777 – though you have a late arrival

BA 205 F 21DEC LHRMIA 1440 1945
    BA 1950 Y 21DEC MIAJAX 2215 2330 OPERATED BY AMERICAN EAGLE AIRLINES

Saying that it looks like only seats 1A and 1K left to allocate.

If you take the earlier 09:40 flight operated by BA on a 747 then you can get 3-5A or 3-5K

Alternatively you could ask to go via ATL on a 777 with First same day, 2 middle seats are available and ask them to put you on a Delta connecting flight – but they might say No to that.

dutchyankee
    Participant

Hi Tim, thanks for that, I appreciate the assistance and the suggestions very much. I tried the tactic via ATL but BA would not change the domestic flights to DL. I also tried via ORD as AA used to do JAX from ORD but that is now also via DFW or MIA. Unfortunately, the later flight to JAX from MIA would mean an overnight in JAX as family are picking us up. So I am kind of stuck. On a positive, however, the return is via DFW and on the new AA 773 which will be a treat I understand.

pdtraveller
    Participant

I thought AA operated one of their shiny new 777-300 on the DFW route…..or am I mistaken?

If t is, then I would certainly use AA and perhaps even downgrade as the business class seat is fabulous.

Fom what I saw, AA First on this aircraft is very spacious and the service through the net curtain looked good.

Ground product in T3 is awful but can be avoided by using BA First lounge or even CX. You do have to put up with the interminable queues and questions but once on board it all seems worthwhile.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls