BA 747 – Miami Q

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

• Anonymous

UKGB_AG75
    Participant

Hi, I understand that the A380 is switching back to a 747. I’m looking at going out on the 19th May to Miami in WT+. Anyone know if this is a clapped out old banger of a plane with old AVOD/seats or a refreshed plane?

Stowage222
    Participant

Hi UKGB.

As far as I’m aware BA only has 2 refurbed Jumbos completed and they are being used exclusively on the JFK route. If you’re going B747 to MIA then the a/c will undoubtedly be as you describe.

RegSpotter
    Participant

Four in service ,fifth and sixth due immediately. Not sure if the Super Hi J is planned for MIA . Doing ORD , JFK and DXB at the moment .

conshaldow
    Participant

Does anyone know why BA are moving this from A380 to 747? Quite surprised to hear this as it just started in October last year.

I’m booked to come back from Miami on the A380 in October and was really looking forward to experiencing it for the first time.

rferguson
    Participant

UKGB, had a look and both flights on the 19 May LHR-MIA are showing as being operated by 747-400 with Mid J configuration.

The refurbed aircraft are primarily on JFK/DxB but also sometimes appearing on LOS, KWI, RUH, BOS.

dutchyankee
    Participant

@ conshaldow – 27/01/2016 12:18 GMT

I believe it has to do with a recent accident in Miami where a BA A380 hit a jetway, and damaged one of its engines, hence requiring the aircraft to go tech. Not sure how long it will be out of service, but I believe that was the cause as the A380 fleet doesn’t really have any space for one out of service to continue the destinations served being unaffected. I imagine by October the situation will have been resolved.

EastCoast747
    Participant

Flightaware said the A380 had been flown back from MIA to LHR with a new engine cowl.Presumably it will soon be fully operational again.

UKGB_AG75
    Participant

rferguson – do you know if the JFK routes operate all refurbed 747’s and also if on that route, the 777’s have the new generation of AVOD?

Thanks

rferguson
    Participant

UKGB any dates in particular? For tomorrow its the 175 and 113 although as more are converted over time the number will increase.

Nearly all the 777’s rostered on the route have the new Thales IFE.

mkcol74
    Participant

My Sept/Oct MIA flights with BA are still A380.

UKGB_AG75
    Participant

rferguson

Not till May 28th May…too far out? flights 176, 116 & 172. All are showing as 747’s. There’s lots of other BA flights out of JFK, doubt they’re all on refurbished aircraft!

BRin1406
    Participant

I am booked on the BA113 on 4th June. Had upper deck seating but I have been notified that it is now changed from a 747 to a 777

SimonS1
    Participant

@dutchyankee – I fear you are mistaken there as the A380 that bumped the jetbridge returned to service 3 days ago. It certainly wouldn’t have any bearing on flights in May.

Only the engine cowling was damaged and it was replaced on site with a part flown from UK.

dutchyankee
    Participant

@ SimonS1 – 28/01/2016 09:21 GMT

Hi Simon, as I said I wasn’t sure if that was the case, and I also said I wasn’t sure how long the aircraft would be out of service. All I know is the change in aircraft on the route followed the accident, so thought that had some part to play.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls