Are lounges worth it?

Back to Forum
Viewing 6 posts - 61 through 66 (of 66 total)

• handbag
    Participant

Think I will buy the lounge access rather than pay the £450. Agree it will be a good deal for some, but unfortunately not for me.

OddvarJohansen
    Participant

Hvaing a gold card, of course. These will take you into the lounges despite flying economy.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

JonHirsch – 08/07/2012 18:36 GMT

I would be very interested to learn which travel policy you use and whether you have compared the benefits of the cover or just the cost.

Regards

Martyn

JKL
    Participant

Hi Martyin,

I use AXA’s Premier policy – and yes, I have compared benefits, and no it’s not the cheapest, by a long stretch (£75) 😉

Come renewal this year I did look around, and I found a policy that looked marginally better for much the same price (I’ll dig out the details when I have more time later if it’s of interest) but I decided to renew with AXA as I have a big round-the-world trip coming up that is already paid for, and I didn’t want any potential issues along the lines of “You paid for this before our cover was in place, so we’re not covering you” – which is pretty much the issue I’m having with Amex…

I don’t doubt that the Amex policy probably is better, but for me, the difference between ‘sufficient’ and ‘more than sufficient’ just isn’t worth the extra cost, not to mention the insecurity (with Amex) of not being 100% sure you’re covered…

All the best,

Jon

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Hi John

Many thanks for your posting, I will take a look at the Axa policy as I am interested in whats available and the benefits.

As far as cost is concered, £75 does not seem to be all that expensive for a worlwide trip. With regards to feelings of insecurity of cover, whenever I have questions about cover, I will email the insurer / underwriter and insist on a written answer. There will always be situations where clarification is needed and if an insurer is not prepared to provide an written answer, I tend to stay well clear.

One of the strangest situations needing clarification, was during the flooding in Thailand last year. The office I was visiting had reports of crocodiles swimming freely within a mile of the area. I needed to contact Amex about travel delay if I was unable to get out of the office “due to crocodiles”.

Luckily, we managed to leave the office and reached BKK airport just in time. Thankfully the BA lounge at BKK was well stocked with food, which was great as we were all starving hungry. We were all very pleased to have access to a great lounge.

NTarrant
    Participant

Martyn, looks like you don’t make snap decisions about your insurance. I suppose you snapped up the food in the lounge quickly. 🙂 !!

Viewing 6 posts - 61 through 66 (of 66 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls