Anyone Flown US Airways Envoy Suite

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

• Anonymous

CityRiskBoy
    Participant

Hi All, I am due to fly on US Airways in their envoy sleeper suite on A330-300 from LGW-CLT next month and just wanted to see if anyone has flown it before, what they thought, service, bed, food etc…

I have read mixed reviews, so deciding whether to stick with or look for another carrier??

ZKSmith
    Participant

I’ve flown US Airways a few times now, primarily because I have found them to be significantly cheaper than the competition.
    The cheapness is evident in places – the entertainment choice is a little limited, the food is okay but far from the best in business class, and the service can be very ‘hit and miss’.
    The enjoy suite however is excellent, very private, very comfortable as a seat and still good as a bed (although a little firm, and although it reclines to 180 degrees it is not completely flat due to the seat contouring). It lacks the convenient storage places that Cathay have on their new seats, but otherwise is great.
    I would certainly recommend it over what United, Delta or American are offering right now.
    Hope you have a pleasant flight.

CityRiskBoy
    Participant

Thanks, Yes I did read the sleet is slightly angled, I am not too fussed as this booking was cheaper than BA prem on the route that I wanted so am happy to get the lie flat bed rather than sitting in a chair for 11 hours.

I have read stories saying the food is ok but not up to business class standards, I think I will stick with it and give it a try unless I manage to get a business fare for the same price with a top carrier

ZKSmith
    Participant

No the seat isn’t angled, just has ridges and bumps from the slight contouring – it isn’t too noticeable but putting a blanket over the bed does help.
    I’ve found the food to be fine, but don’t expect anything amazing. It’s tasty meat and veg rather than a huge range of Michelin star style dishes – typical American carrier fare rather than the fine dining of Singapore Airlines and the like. Certainly better than the economy food you would receive in BA’s WT+.

CityRiskBoy
    Participant

Thanks, Looks like i will stick with my choice…..Its more the bed I am going for so I can sleep on the over night flight back to London

IanFromHKG
    Participant

Make sure you give us a flight review afterwards!

TiredOldHack
    Participant

Seconded. I’d be interested in knowing what route you’re flying.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

LGW-CLT (it’s mentiomed in the first post). So he probably works for Wells Fargo or Bank of America Merrill Lynch, or he’s connecting through (Charlotte is US Airways’s main hub)

TiredOldHack
    Participant

D’oh. So it is. I’ve just had a quick browse of the US Airways site and description. Envoy doesn’t seem cutting-edge, but it certainly looks like decent value for money.

sparkyflier
    Participant

I believe that US Airways has one of the lowest staff/PAX ratios, so in all classes it gets ages to get served, and ages for your food tray etc to be taken away. This is one of the reasons why they are a bit lower. Seat product looks great though!

Beware I am not sure if their Envoy Suite product is on both their A330s – 200 Vs 300, with one of these having an older product.

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

The Envoy Suite should be on both the A330-200’s and 300’s now. For a while the LGW-CLT was the poor cousing to the LHR-PHL but they now have the same product on.

CityRiskBoy
    Participant

I am flying LGW-CLT-SFO return and no I dont work for either of them companies or that industry for that matter 🙂
    I normally fly BA LHR-SFO direct but the route is crazy busy for the next couple of months and prices are very high so found this US airways flight in Envoy which was reasonably priced….I have read good and bad reviews (which would be the same for most airlines) but i do know any US carrier service on board is not going to be the same standard as other major carriers.
    The envoy suite is now fitted on both 200/300 type aircraft

sparkyflier
    Participant

Its a good routing as I am sure Charlotte immigration will be far easier to deal with than any of the main hubs like ORD, DFW etc, as they do not have a huge amount international flights. Are you a member of any of the Star Alliance carries FFPs in order to get your miles/points? That suite looks like a ncie place to chill, eat, drink and look at the stunning Canadian landscape as you come into the states.

ZKSmith
    Participant

The only negative with that routing is US Airways poor domestic product. It’s fine for an hour or two, but for the 5-or-so hours from CLT – SFO isn’t ideal. No in flight entertainment, very few of their aircraft have Wi-Fi yet, reasonable food, and average First Class seating.
    None the less, the excellent Envoy Suite and huge cost savings probably make it worth it.

Regarding some of the other comments, I’ve never found the staff to passenger ratio in Envoy to be too bad. The problem is less the speed of the service, more the service itself if you’re unlucky and get disappointing FAs. That said, I’ve had less bad experiences than I did when I regularly flew United.

I’ve found both Charlotte and Philadelphia to be preferable to the likes of JFK, ORD, LAX etc when it comes to both immigration and catching connecting flights.

And yes the new Envoy Suites are on all their A330 aircraft. Their Boeing fleet still have old recliners and angled lie flats (that said, the angled flat beds on their B767 are amongst the most comfortable I’ve encountered – but I would still avoid services on these aircraft due to the ageing cabin and lack of AVOD), although their Boeing fleet will be gradually retired over the next few years as they receive more new A330s.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls