? Another potentially serious IT glitch from BA

Back to Forum
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

• DerekVH
    Participant

Earlier in the week whilst on a trip to YVR I received a marketing email from British Airways High Life Shop offering a deal on a particular perfume. Firstly, my BA account is set for me not to receive marketing emails but more seriously the email was addressed: [my BA exec account login password] and [my surname]. This was sent to my normal email address but I image some computer programme which was supposed to pick up first name + last name has picked up login password + lastname.

I have immediately changed my Exec Club password but this is extremely worrying but I don’t fancy discussing this sensitive issue with a BA call centre. Any suggestions?

capetonianm
    Participant

Interesting to see how many others are affected or if it’s just a one off.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=833207]Earlier in the week whilst on a trip to YVR I received a marketing email from British Airways High Life Shop offering a deal on a particular perfume. Firstly, my BA account is set for me not to receive marketing emails but more seriously the email was addressed: [my BA exec account login password] and [my surname]. This was sent to my normal email address but I image some computer programme which was supposed to pick up first name + last name has picked up login password + lastname.
    I have immediately changed my Exec Club password but this is extremely worrying but I don’t fancy discussing this sensitive issue with a BA call centre. Any suggestions?
    [/quote]

Send BA a letter using the template on this page

https://ico.org.uk/for-the-public/raising-concerns/

Then, if they do not satisfy your concerns, report them formally to the Information Commissioner.

When the GDPR becomes effective (28 May 2018), the penalties will be come much stiffer.

DerekVH
    Participant

Much appreciated FDOS,I will report back on the outcome.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

You’re welcome, Derek, I hope you get a sensible response.

capetonianm
    Participant

Not so much a ‘glitch’ but a thoughtless piece of design in their website and app.

By definition, people who use this facility to book flights are internationally mobile. I can’t be the only (infrequent and reluctant!) BA passenger to have ‘bases’ in different countries and therefore to start my journeys in different currency areas. I have credit cards in GBP, EUR, ZAR, and CHF. If I try to pay with a credit card which is not the default one, I enter the details and the billing address, but it won’t allow a change of country. My ZA card is registered to my address in ZA, it will let me change the default address until I get to the ‘country’ field, which can’t be changed.

Somewhat surprisingly, it will let me use any of the cards with the correct address details even if the country doesn’t match the address, as I would expect the CC company to deny authorisation. I hope that makes sense! E.g. earlier this week I made a booking using a ZA card and changed the billing address to Cape Town but had to leave the country as ‘United Kingdom’.

JPNU
    Participant

Not serious but very annoying – I have been trying to book a straight forward two sector flight plus return. Every time I hit ‘continue’ to choose the return flights, I am sent back to the original ‘plan your journey’ page.

I have given up and booked with another airline.

DerekVH
    Participant

I received a phone call today from BA to acknowledge my letter and to advise it had been escalated for investigation. I did advise that since my letter I have received another email with exactly the same information. Obviously I have saved both in readiness for the response that these did not originate from BA!

capetonianm
    Participant

….and another stupid glitch on their app.

Earlier this week I booked flights for my son using the BA ‘app’, but they don’t appear under ‘my bookings’ so I tried to add them, and it wouldn’t.

I can only assume that it’s because he has two surnames, of which only one is the same as mine. I did think of trying to call BA to ask about this but then I thought about the holding time and being asked for my first dog’s collar size and my grandmother’s DNA, and then explaining to a script reader what I wanted, I lost interest, in fact I almost lost the will to live.

Earlier this week I had the same problem as JPNU, being sent back to the ‘start’ page, and after three tries, I gave up and booked on KLM, so BA lost a WT+ fare to CPT as I booked C class on KLM, more expensive but much better.

I often wonder if anyone from Cruz’s crew have the gumption to look at these pages, realise how much business and goodwill they are losing, and do something about it. They probably just recruit more children to work in their sweatshop in Bangalore.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=835026]
    being asked for my first dog’s collar size and my grandmother’s DNA, and then explaining to a script reader what I wanted, I lost interest, in fact I almost lost the will to live.
    [/quote]

You would have to ask your dog to bark its consent into the phone, to satisfy data protection rules 🙂

JPNU
    Participant

The absolute last time I fly BA!

I’m still mildly annoyed about the earlier problems I had on their website (see above) but…..

They are the cheapest direct option for my next sector. The website appeared to be working. Selected flights. Paid. And then……’sorry, we regret to advise that this section of the website is temporarily unavailable’. I don’t know if I have booked or not.

Mild annoyance has risen to British Airways is now on my own ‘no fly’ list!!!!

capetonianm
    Participant

They may well be the cheapest because their IT is so bad that they are spilling bookings which other carriers are picking up.

Not to mention their lousy business class.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls