American Airlines Miami-London Heathrow aircraft changes?

Back to Forum
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• Anonymous

Falcon7x
    Participant

Afternoon,

Does anyone have any ‘inside knowledge’ on the fleet use for the MIA-LHR flights with AA?

I am booked on AA38 in January and the flight is currently showing as a 772 in January, not the 77W that I was hoping for!

Is the aircraft likely to change? It seems like the earlier flight, AA56, is currently operated by the 772, and the later flight, AA38, is currently operated by the 77W. Are they switching the aircraft types?

I’m wondering whether to change my flight to the earlier flight, or even to the BA metal in order to guarantee a flat J seat.

Cheers. F7x

Swissdiver
    Participant

I would with no hesitation switch to the BA flight as even with the 77w planned, the airline can make a last minute change.

pheighdough
    Participant

With AA starting flights to Sydney, the B777-300s are being reallocated to those flights leaving the AA atlantic flights (JFK & MIA) on older sub-optimum B777-200s.

I’d rebook BA, at least you get a flat J seat, plus the upper section on the B747-400.

CarlNEwYork
    Participant

AA is also retrofitting its 777-200. Though with a slightly different version of seat from the -300. all seats are also flat bed seats, and all with aisle access. Definitely superior to the rather dated configuration from BA Club World. Check the seat map before you book, if it’s the older version of the 777-200 then you might be better off on BA and indeed the upper deck of the 747 is best, especially if you can get one of the few seats that are both window seats and have aisle access. That said once AA has retrofitted all its 777s I would definitely pick AA over BA, even if BA lounges are much better than AA lounges (even the AA “flagship” is really below average with no actual champagne and a terrible wine selection). Also keep in mind that if AA and BA flights leave from the same terminal (unfortunately not the case at JFK), you can use your BA/AA status to access the BA lounge and then fly on a much better seat with AA (once again granted it’s not the old 777-200 configuration). You can then get the best of both world! (and if you have a Cathay lounge like at CDG, skip the AA lounge next door and enjoy the luxury of the Cathay lounge before your AA flight).

greyhawkgeoff
    Participant

CarlNewYork +1, and you can check the seating arrangement on aa.com for any flight before booking(or after) and the layout will quickly show whether it is the old or new 772 seats. The new are perfectly fine flat beds with aisle access 1-2-1.

Falcon7x
    Participant

Thanks for your comments.

I’ve flown the 77W a number of times and love it, but don’t want to risk being on a non-retrofitted bird, so will change to the BA A380 that leaves 5mins previous. Shame really, as I much prefer the new AA seat, service and overall ‘feel’ in comparison to the ‘same old’ club seat on BA.

When it gets to this point though, it really does feel like a first world problem!

MickBettesworth
    Participant

BA are introducing the A380 on the MIA- LHR route from Oct

CarlNEwYork
    Participant

If you’re flying on the A380, I would recommend seats 53A or 53K on the upper deck, which are the few window seats with aisle access and also have extra space between the seat and the window due to the curve of the fuselage (like on the 747 upperdeck), this is really worth it as Club World seats are otherwise really narrow. I still cannot belive that AA now has better seats than BA, who would have thought! They really need to upgrade their product if they want to stay competitive with the other big airlines.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls