Alitalia continues to operate … for now.

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 201 total)

• Tom Otley
    Keymaster

syclik5
    Participant

From previous posts it appears that the other “voices” in this thread are unaware that the vast majority of Alitalia’s fleet is leased…if AZ stops flying, these will go straight back to the lessor (as happened with Malev) rather than being auctioned off to easyJet (!!!)

LuganoPirate
    Participant

For “could” read “will”. That would be more accurate, then watch the fight with the EU about illegal state aid.

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

Anyone flying regularly into Rome FCO cannot help but notice (a) all those EI-xxx registrations on the AZ fleet and (b) the not insignificant number of AZ staff around the terminal in a way that one could but dream of in LHR T5/3… But a smart new terminal building after the fire.

capetonianm
    Participant

I’m not sure if those EI-xxx registered aircraft are from Aer Lingus, they might be Irish registered on lease from an Irish leasing company, perhaps whichever Guinness Peat Aviation morphed into.

Johnnyg
    Participant

Many of the EI registered fleet are under the ownership of ‘Aircraft Purchase Company No 12’ based in Dublin.The company has 1 shareholder

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Is anyone really surprised by this news ?

Alitalia sale deadline extended. Govt provides a further Euros 300 million bridging loan.

https://www.thelocal.it/20171014/rome-stumps-up-more-alitalia-cash-extends-sale-deadline?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

alainboy56
    Participant

As I have said many times the Italian Govt will never wind it up or let it die!

capetonianm
    Participant

Same scenario in South Africa with bankrupt SAA, which is being used as a feeding trough for and by the thieves and thugs of the ANC.

alainboy56
    Participant

@captonianm — Yes my brother was an avionics engineer with SAA climbing steadily ‘up the ladder’ (having originally trained with BA on Concorde), and then 15 years or so ago, the Head of Engineering became shall we say ‘off white’ and despite having no experience/training/knowledge in Aircraft Engineering, he took over and started to put his mates into various senior positions. At this point my brother realised his career was ‘blocked’, and so left and joined EK in DXB where he remains today. SAA is finished as a ‘professional airline’. AZ is different inasmuch as they are quite safe however they are run by, and staffed by ‘Romans’, who do not want to work, but merely take a salary.

capetonianm
    Participant

The father of an Italian friend of mine was for many years a country manager for Alitalia and had various postings around the world where he lived like a king, as it was almost a diplomatic status posting. I don’t think he ever did much in the way of work but was involved in other ‘business’ which provided additional income, not that he needed it. His ‘work’ for the airline seemed to consist of giving out free tickets to his family and friends, from which I benefited more than once, and flying first class to Rome every few weeks for ‘meetings’. And he wasn’t even Roman, he was from the north!

As with SAA, a massive and profligate waste of taxpayers’ money.

alainboy56
    Participant

@captonianm — Yes I believe you but are you sure he was from the north, originally I mean, or maybe of a Roman family name? Anyway fully agree with you. Its like anyone who works in an Italian bank, and I mean just a normal branch, and just a teller on the counter at that, they demand and are treated with such deference, its unbelievable.

capetonianm
    Participant

Yes, definitely from the north, in fact his surname was a German one, and he was fairhaired, light skinned, and had blue eyes.

SimonS1
    Participant

When added to Air Berlin it’s a fairly sad end to Etihad’s policy of shareholdings in other airlines….

Alex McWhirter
    Participant

It may never happen of course … but today Lufthansa has made a bid for what it describes (in its media release) as “NewAlitalia.”

https://uk.reuters.com/article/us-alitalia-sale-lufthansa-offer/lufthansa-confirms-made-offer-for-part-of-alitalia-idUKKBN1CL224

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 201 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls