Alitalia continues to operate … for now.

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 201 total)

• Andrew_42042
    Participant

Recently, I’ve often used Alitalia long-haul flights to the Middle East, China and the US.
    Apart from a bad experience I had during a flight from Beijing, where my seat wasn’t cleaned at all, I can assure that the Alitalia Business Class, in terms of courtesy and F&B, is much better than other Airlines, even Ethiad.
    I’ve also enjoyed an excellent experience at Casa Alitalia lounge in MXP. This lounge, considering quality and services is, in my opinion, close to be comparable to a First Class rather than a Business Class lounge.
    The new Ethiad Business Plan will be presented shortly to the Alitalia workforce. At this stage, I really hope that they are going to increase Alitalia international flights to new destinations as well as “feeder” flights towards the two hubs of FCO and MXP. I consider this last issue as a serious fault in Ethiad’s management, which has considerably reduced the number of connecting flights from Italian secondary cities, extending waiting times at FCO airport in an unacceptable way.

Cloud-9
    Participant

Interesting that EY and LH have signed a codeshare agreement.

Will EY be drawn into *A, or will LH be seen as the *A pariah, as QF was when they started their extra-ow liaison with EK..?

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I can imagine that LH see EY as less of a threat than QR or EK? Seeing as EY serve many destinations out of Abu Dhabi that LH don’t fly to, it makes good sense I think and will allow both airlines to profit from it.

alainboy56
    Participant

As I wrote here on 4th January, its confirmed today in Abu Dhabi that Mr Hogan, CEO of EY is moving on!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

[quote quote=787538]As I wrote here on 4th January, its confirmed today in Abu Dhabi that Mr Hogan, CEO of EY is moving on!

[/quote]

Good reporting Alain. I’m curious if now AZ will be sold and if KLM will separate. They ought to.

LH/EY tie up perhaps?

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Latest news is that the new industrial plan will be “presented by the end of the month … and cost reduction of at least EURO 160 million.”

This was announced yesterday during a meeting of the Alitalia Board of Directors.

Alitalia will soon be taking delivery of one new long-haul aircraft, a B777-300ER. It is claimed this will form the flagship of its fleet.

And yet some 45 years ago Alitalia used to operate a fleet of B747s so it shows how this once global airline has decreased in size and reach over the years.

Little is currently known about the B777-300ER but it might be coming from India’s Jet Airways which, like Alitalia, is part of the Etihad group.

Article from flyorbitnews.com [IT]

http://www.flyorbitnews.com/2017/02/17/alitalia-piano-industriale-riduzione-costi/

MarcusGB
    Participant

Etihad are cutting back on every level of service recently, so i cannot see them coming up with much for Alitalia, apart from to codeshare and take their Business.

The cutbacks are shocking, and the departure of the CEO states something, but since his announced departure, cuts have come sweeping through. No interlining, less prestigious products on Board from Economy through to !st Suites, cuts to mileage allowances for Chauffeur cars. I had to pay $10 for an extra 2kms in Sydney travelling 1st Class, which has not been the case for the last 5 years. FFP petty cuts, make it annoying and they apply even with tickets already booked.
    Be V careful, NOT to book separate tickets even on these Airlines, as Etihad will NOT interline as of a few weeks ago. This makes miles booking useless unless you stopover, as they will not transfer your bags, regardless of class of travel!

Not sure what the Etihad Agenda is here, but it is small money for them either way.
    Whether the Alitalia Brand survives or not, Etihad will remain involved, if not re-branding it for Etihad in Europe.

It is confusing to see why Alitalia remains a part of Skyteam, when Etihad stated closer ties and matching programs, that never did happen. It is clear that Etihad use these share accessed Airlines through ownership and Board representation, to feed their own network. they make much by buying the FFP’s of the Airlines also!
    Ar Berlin, Alitalia, Virgin Australia, jet Airways… all are feeding huge growth.

Etihad has lost its Boutique Brand image, and the cuts mean i am no longer booking them or aiming to retain my Gold membership. Too many cuts, too many places. Cannot see anything different with Alitalia, again in crisis, just leaking cash.

alainboy56
    Participant

@MarcusGB —- The cuts at EY are in fact a reflection of life in Abu Dhabi these days. To use an old phrase, ‘The good old days have definitely long gone’. There are now sweeping fees/taxes/price increases/fines on almost every corner of life. Plus of course, they are having to carry their, to quoin a phrase, “Noisy neighbours up the road”
    I also no longer use EY, and was (still am) one of the founder members and was for many years a GOLD level, but I had a particular ‘beef’ with them. So I shifted my allegiance completely to QR (was/am also GOLD). Much better (read speedier) terminal, prompt departure times and a much better service all around (IMHO).
    On AZ, I hear that Cramer Ball is hardly even on speaking terms with Di Montezemolo. He is it seems, so completely exasperated with AZ, which brings me back to what I said 2 years ago, “Did Hogan really know what he was doing”?
    Anyway, AZ will die and be ‘re-born’ again, without anyone noticing, after all they are no longer the original AZ, the present company is the old AIRONE company. The Italian Govt is too proud to let it go, much as AF will never die also, its part of their national identity.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Trade unions have called for a strike at Alitalia on February 23.

Alitalia says 60 per cent of flights will be cancelled on that day.

Full details here:

https://www.alitalia.com/en_en/fly-alitalia/news-and-activities/news/info-strike-23-feb.html

rferguson
    Participant

It looks like Alitalia is to become buy-on-board on flights under four hours.

https://www.ausbt.com.au/alitalia-goes-low-cost-in-europe-premium-on-international-routes

AMcWhirter
    Participant

The five-year business plan is now revealed. But it still needs trade union approval.

Alitalia aims for greater efficiencies

AMcWhirter
    Participant

After one day the unions have called for strike action on April 5.

It now appears that 2,500 staff will be made redundant. This information was not mentioned in the medis statement.

In addition, those staff who remain (including pilots) will face a pay cut of between 28 and 32 per cent.

https://www.thelocal.it/20170317/calls-for-strikes-as-alitalia-plans-to-cut-one-fifth-of-its-staff?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

AMcWhirter
    Participant

An update …

Alitalia management has secured union agreement for cutbacks. However Alitalia staff will vote on whether or not to accept the new terms next week.

https://www.ft.com/content/601f151a-20f7-11e7-a454-ab04428977f9

LuganoPirate
    Participant

So the crying has started. I always said it will all end in tears!???

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Sadly it gets worse. Alitalia workers have rejected the rescue plan.

https://www.thelocal.it/20170425/alitalia-workers-have-rejected-airline-rescue-deal-reports

Another piece in the FT but a paywall may apply.

https://www.ft.com/content/8a63642e-2936-11e7-9ec8-168383da43b7

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 201 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls