Alex Cruz and Kebab Shops

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

• FDOS_UK
    Participant

I’d like to explain a metaphor.

When the kebab shop opens, the new Doner is large and highly attractive.

The kebab shop owner wants to increase his profit margins by contiinuously slicing lumps off the Doner.

At the end of the day, what is left is a sad and sorry looking Doner, with little value left in it.

That’s the metaphor.

Now you may disagree – honest difference of opinions and perspective welcome.

esselle
    Participant

But to compensate for taking out the real value in the Doner (ie the meat)you keep telling your customers about all the unnecessary and unwanted stuff you are adding as a result of their valuable feedback, plus in several years time you plan to invest in a new thingie which will revolutionise kebab making, only you don’t know what it is yet, haven’t found a supplier and cant say for certain when, but stick with our current Doner for the time being because we really appreciate your loyalty.

SimonS1
    Participant

And for your premium customers you then focus on presentation, so the doner gets even smaller but at least comes wrapped in some nice paper….

Gold-2K
    Participant

…… And remind your premium customers that you are making big investments to improve all your doner kebab shops ……… Apart from the shop your premium customers use most often.

DavidSmith2
    Participant

not sure the metaphor works completely. Say if you had 2 kebab shops in the same road, both opened at the same time, each with its big, juicy new cylinder of meat on the rotisserie.

A week later, you go to the first shop and their cylinder is still big, fat and juicy, whereas in the second shop it is thin, ragged and starting to dry out.

The first may be more appealing on initial inspection but the reality is that the second shop is the one which has been doing business all week – maybe because it is serving better quality meat, or maybe because it is cheaper? Further investigation is clearly needed before too many conclusions are drawn.

I’m not sure that my contribution takes us any further forward, but it is probably not always wise to be taken in by something simply because its seekh.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=802420]not sure the metaphor works completely.

[/quote]

You are right, it doesn’t.

But I still like it, though 🙂

WillieWelsh
    Participant

Very funny guys, sorry I can’t think of a line to add!

seasonedtraveller
    Participant

An extremely sharp knife is required to slice the meat thinly & without pieces breaking off.

With each slice made, the blade gets less sharp and more blunt.

There are only so many times the blade can be pared.

PS – Mine’s an Iskender 🙂

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=802469]An extremely sharp knife is required to slice the meat thinly & without pieces breaking off.

With each slice made, the blade gets less sharp and more blunt.

There are only so many times the blade can be pared.

PS – Mine’s an Iskender ?

[/quote]

I like that analogy, well made point.

An Iskender might be asking a bit too much with this shop 🙂 You’re lucky if they remember to load the pitta bread.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

But how would the kebab shop owner deal with a customer who is hungry but vegetarian?

Would the owner view the vegetarian as a potential customer and try and sell him something he doesn’t eat… OR manage to pull the stops out and find some suitable alternative?

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=802475]But how would the kebab shop owner deal with a customer who is hungry but vegetarian?

Would the owner view the vegetarian as a potential customer and try and sell him something he doesn’t eat… OR manage to pull the stops out and find some suitable alternative?

[/quote]

Make them into a kebab?

Gold-2K
    Participant

….. you’d thank the vegetarian for bringing it to your attention, tell them their request has been logged, take the money off them and then apologise and say someone forgot to defrost the Linda McCartney sausage rolls and offer them a flatbread and a sachet of chilli sauce!

icenspice
    Participant

I don’t like kebabs, just kebab shop owners.

Talking about meat, I enjoyed the most tender beef on an AF flight the other day in Biz class.

Serious question…how is it possible to do that at high altitude?

K1ngston
    Participant

To continue to analogy and to Martyns point and from a recent experience I had, you satisfy the vegetarian by insisting that everyone have a curried meal (well it is quintessentially English right???) and blame it on your supplier of the day!

canucklad
    Participant

Let me tell you about my local kebab shop owner and his shop…….

He’s a reasonably pleasant chap, who does have a slab of emulsified something that he sticks in-between pita bread. He doesn’t really focus on the quality of this product, and after all why should he! The only people he sells his kebabs to, are a mix of desperado’s seeking sustenance when no other options are available, usually their judgement blurred by short term memory loss, brought on by feel good influencers.

Ultimately, the buyer of the kebab, wakes up full of remorse, swearing never to be taken in again, as the reality of their previous nights (usually early morning) meal sinks lower and lower into the pit of their regretful stomach.

And next week, my kebab shop owner racks up another spit of meat, waiting for the very same, inevitable desperados appearing, …..and so the cycle continues……

Oh, and by the way, my owner makes a damn good pizza, after all…he is a Scot of Italian descent. The Kebabs, well that’s just a side-line, he sells to the suckers, who are taken in by the spin : )

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls