Aircraft Diversions – Passenger behaviour

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 54 total)

• canucklad
    Participant

Interesting comments about the influence of Social Media. And it’s impact on a generation of people.

I wonder if Social Media can be used to communicate that our Glasgow friend , rather than being a modern day rebel, up for laugh , MAN , etc
    Is now , not going to get a job, will be in debt for the rest of his life, has probably made people miss their connections and as a consequence miss important moments in their life and have a criminal record barring him from travel, and lastly ,end up in the Massachuets penetiary system —Hopefully!!

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

Well I admired the senior cabin crew member of an EasyJet flight from LGW to Alicante six weeks ago that I was on when following the safety demos etc she spoke directly to the one hen party and the one stag group on board and said ‘To the two party groups on board may I remind you this is an aircraft not playground. If you miss-behave then you will be arrested on arrival in Alicante” Loud mutterings of “Hear Hear” and both groups were as good as gold.

stevescoots
    Participant

To put it simply it’s the lack of consequences and selfishness embedded in today’s 1st word countries.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=757898]Well I admired the senior cabin crew member of an EasyJet flight from LGW to Alicante six weeks ago that I was on when following the safety demos etc she spoke directly to the one hen party and the one stag group on board and said ‘To the two party groups on board may I remind you this is an aircraft not playground. If you miss-behave then you will be arrested on arrival in Alicante” Loud mutterings of “Hear Hear” and both groups were as good as gold.

[/quote]

Good to hear that; whilst the primary cause of loutish behaviour is the louts, airline crew need to use their delegated authority to stamp on it, before it gets out of hand.

Ahmad
    Participant

[quote quote=758037]To put it simply it’s the lack of consequences and selfishness embedded in today’s 1st word countries.

[/quote]

The concept may be 1st World but it has adherents all over. Last year on a Thai flight into Bangkok one mid twenties lout tried turning the business cabin into a concert hall in the middle of the night using those big round headphones Thai provides. The music I could hear was definitely not 1st World. He was promptly stopped by cabin crew without any passenger needing to complain. When he restarted the gig half an hour later, the purser came round and had a stern word with him. Needless to say, from then on the flight was uneventful.

Charles-P
    Participant

A friend of mine who has been flying to China regularly for the past ten years said recently he has seen a fundamental change in the way that many young Chinese now act, in particular the so called Fuerdai. Fuerdai are to China what Paris Hilton was to the U.S. a decade ago, only less tasteful, their sense of ‘entitlement’ I am told has to be seen to be believed with numerous stories of temper tantrums, shouting at hotel and airline staff, demands for one thing or another.

All of this points to an accelerated version of what we in Europe are also dealing with, a growing tranche of society well aware of their ‘rights’ but with little idea of their responsibilities, people who care little, if at all for the views and feelings of their fellow man but perversely who are easily offended with regularity. It is more than simple manners it is a seminal shift in general attitudes.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Tend to agree with you there Charles. It seems not to be just the “Fuerdai” but also their followers and many others who seem to have this sense of entitlement which for some reason seems to manifest itself at airports and on aircraft!

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Here’s a example of what can happen in mainland China when flights are delayed and cancelled owing to bad weather.

Fights, Smashed Computers, and Food Thrown in Riot at Shenzhen Airport Over Delayed Flights

Charles-P
    Participant

‘AMcWhirter- It is interesting that once again that old problems of “lack of information” and “no communication” rears its head. Companies need to understand that people will be much more relaxed and willing to understand delays if they are told what is happening. I remember about ten years ago being stuck at CDG awaiting a flight that was delayed and being told, “there is an incident” over and over again. Why do airlines not feel passengers can be trusted with the truth? Far better to say, “we have a problem with the baggage truck which engineers are working on, we think it will be about 30 minutes”.

JohnHarper
    Participant

Most people are willing to wait patiently if told the factual truth, it’s when things are hidden that people not unreasonably get cross. One pet hate of mine is a delay for ‘operational reasons’. It’s an empty phrase that some moron must have dreamed up to sound clever while telling you nothing.

Charles-P
    Participant

John Harper – yes fully agree. In France local radio when warning about traffic jams have been heard to use a phrase that translates as “There is a traffic delay because of cars not moving” What possible use they think that is to anyone I have no idea. The police in the UK now seem to refer to nearly everything with the word “Incident” as in “there has been an incident on the M4”. Meaningless and of no use to man nor beast.

canucklad
    Participant

Here’s an update for those interested……

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/drunk-brit-who-caused-us-bound-flight-to-be-diverted-refuses-to-apologise-for-causing-chaos/ar-AAiPgCp?li=BBoPWjQ&ocid=SL5MDHP

And 3 things that niggle….

The seemingly unrepentant attitude of the moronic Ned re-enforces what’s already been said.
    Why are the crew plying him with enough wine to topple a Clydesdale horse
    BA having to fly him home, as he’s their responsibility

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I wonder if BA served him alcohol on the return flight?

It will be a brave Western airline that become the first to stop serving alcohol.. (but it may happen)…

Tom Otley
    Keymaster
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 54 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls