Air India – Health & Safety on board?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

• seasonedtraveller
    Participant

Over the past 3-4 months I’ve flown a dozen domestic sectors with Air India & I have to say that I’ve become shocked at what I consider to be negligence from the crew.

Today’s flight was no different than the rest – the crew doing nothing to address the situation;

All this on today’s flight.

1 – Infants seated on parents knees, no seat-belt used for take off or landing.
    2 – People talking loudly through the safety demo – not just the odd few, a lot of people.
    3 – Phone calls being made on the taxiway.
    4 – Phone call being made on the runway.
    5 – Baggage allowed to stay on the floor in the bulkhead row.
    6 – Phone’s buzzing and beeping on the final approach (so much for flight safe mode)
    7 – Seat belts discarded as soon as the rear wheels touched down.
    8 – Children not strapped in for landing and some toddlers actually standing throughout the finals.
    9 – Business class seats in recline all the way to the gate
    10 – People standing and overheads opened whilst approaching the gate.

In all of this, the crew did nothing. I know that H&S standards in India are a little different to the EU but, I thought all airlines has to adhere to the same?

K1ngston
    Participant

Deep joy I am on a AI flight tomorrow to Delhi from Dhaka I will update the thread tomorrow ….

seasonedtraveller
    Participant

[quote quote=808626]Deep joy I am on a AI flight tomorrow to Delhi from Dhaka I will update the thread tomorrow ….

[/quote]

Ah, Mr (or Ms) K1ngston I’ve been expecting you 😉

By coincidence, I will also arrive into Delhi tomorrow morning (0905) on another AI flight (AI864) – perhaps we will meet?
    I will be the One looking suitably shocked as I disembark another, no doubt H&S free AI flight.
    Cheers
    ST

thebigseats
    Participant

Air India is one airline I will NEVER fly, no matter how good a “deal” they might offer. If it’s fly AI or not fly? I will not fly. Period!

rferguson
    Participant

The middle eastern laptop ban has been a boon for Air India, apparently doubling US bookings as many Indian business travellers previously flew via the gulf.

http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/economy/logistics/flying-high-air-india-sees-bookings-to-us-double-after-laptop-ban/article9614126.ece

I’ve never flown them and don’t really aspire to. They seem like an even worse version of Alitalia – an airline that should have gone out of business ages ago.

Flight Review: Air India (777-300ER) Business Class From Delhi to New York

capetonianm
    Participant

When I had to go to India a few years ago for a meeting with Air India, they (naturally) offered a free ticket in F, which my then employer said I had to use. I didn’t have to use it. I refused to travel on AI and then my employer coughed up for a ticket on LH.

The only other airlines I have refused to travel on, under similar circumstances, but for different reasons, are Cubana, Egyptair Emirates, and El Al.

K1ngston
    Participant

seasonedtraveller its Mr ( or it was the last time I looked 🙂

My flight details are AI9011 arriving about midday, so if you happen to be staying in the Westin Gurgaon please let me know and I will be happy to reveal myself to compare notes…

Charles-P
    Participant

When I had my company we employed an Indian national based in Mumbai, he had it written into his contract of employment with us that he did not have to fly Air India. When he came to Europe for meetings it was always with either Emirates or BA. I remember him saying that even the migrant workers in the Middle East would try to avoid AI when returning home for their yearly visit.

seasonedtraveller
    Participant

[quote quote=808803]seasonedtraveller its Mr ( or it was the last time I looked ?

My flight details are AI9011 arriving about midday, so if you happen to be staying in the Westin Gurgaon please let me know and I will be happy to reveal myself to compare notes…
    [/quote]

Well, I’ve just arrived at my hotel in Gurgaon after leaving Mumbai at 0430 this morning. Sorry to say that I’ve been unable to reply until now because, for some reason unknown, my phone will not allow me to log in to the forum.
    I am in The Radisson and have a dinner meeting (drove right past the Westin twice today – small world) so you won’t be able to “reveal yourself” to me…..I’m quite glad about that 😉
    It would have been nice to meet you however.

Tomorrow is taken up with business meetings as usual and I head back to BOM at 19.00 and connect onto MH to KUL at stupid O’Clock.
    I hope your visit is a good one and for me, I’m glad to be sitting typing this in an air conditioned hotel suite thus escaping the 42c heat today.
    Cheers
    ST

K1ngston
    Participant

ST, I know exactly where you are, enjoy the air conditioning. I cannot even let everyone know how bad AI is as when we arrived at Dhaka airport at stupid o’clock for our flight a glitch in their system and prevented us getting our boarding passes, and even a frantic call to our travel agent was unable to fix the issue

We ended up being transferred on to Jet 3 hours later than we were scheduled to leave and then with a 90 minute delay we actually did not get to the Westin until 3.45pm so a whole day wasted thank you AI

Have to say the experience going through immigration at Indira Ghandi International puts LHR to shame it was pleasant quick and I was in the car within 25 mins which is very acceptable.

Enjoy the heat ST and your journey back I am finally heading back to SG on Friday evening after this 12 day trip, I cannot wait …

FDOS_UK
    Participant

That’s nothing, look at what the Belgium Airforce did…..

http://uk.businessinsider.com/r-friendly-fire-destroys-belgian-warplane-at-base-2018-10?r=US&IR=T

1 user thanked author for this post.

stevescoots
    Participant

I have been unfortunate to fly air India 3 times, last time was approx 10 years ago…nice to see nothing has changed, it was the same back then, thus they will remain on my no fly list

Inquisitive
    Participant

Air India has many faults, but passenger behaviour cannot be fully blamed on airlines. Okay the crew members could be more instructive, but most Indians have a fatalistic attitude.
    Plus air travel in India boomed in past 5 years; many train travellers now travelling in plane, so there are some train like behaviour.
    It will improve over time. USA was also like that about 20-25 years ago.

PeterCoultas
    Participant

captonianm….assuming it doest get you into problems can you say why you have refused cubana, egyptair, emirates & el al flights….and, of course, if those reasons would still apply? Air India is obvious though (years back) india air was better

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls