Air France passengers asked for re-fueling cash

Back to Forum
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

• Anonymous

MarkCymru
    Participant

They had to divert a Beirut flight to Damascus and, because of EU sanctions, it looked as if AF might not be able to pay for the fuel to take off again. In the end, AF sorted it out. Here’s the story http://bit.ly/Qc8FXi

millionsofmiles
    Participant

The EU sanctions dont permit for Credit Card transactions, so the ground people in Damascus righteously asked for cash.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Shows again how little AF cares for the lives of their passengers. From memory, a plane has to have enough fuel for its destination, plus an alternate and an additional 45 minutes flying. What on earth possessed the captain to choose Damascus, probably a lot more dangerous than Beirut, even with rioters.

There is also Cairo, Larnaca, Tel Aviv (though that could be problematical I admit) Not to mention several airports in Turkey or Saudi Arabia.

So was Damascus AF’s alternate because it was closest? If so that is really unbelievable and another reason why not to fly Air France!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Just checked, Amman is 148 miles from Beirut by air.
    Larnaca is 120 miles and Damascus 66 miles.

It’s inconceivable they could not have made either alternate. I bet AF and the French government hush this up as well.

dmwood24
    Participant

The comment about taking seat belts off seems to be a bit over the top – this is standard practice when refuelling, even in the UK

SimonS1
    Participant

This would be completely laughable if it wasn’t true. The type of thing that used to happen in Africa 20 years ago.

millionsofmiles
    Participant

AF, like other carriers, dont fl around with budles of cash, but certfied Credit Cards.
    Due to EU sanctions, Syria will not receive monies from CC transactions, so what else could they do except demand cash?

SimonS1
    Participant

Use an alternative airport perhaps?

Are we saying that an EU airline really had to divert to the capital of a country subject to EU sanctions and on the verge of civil war? A country where the Foreign Office has been advising British nationals to leave for well over a year?

Doesn’t really fill me with confidence that Air France are the type of airline I would trust my safety to. If other airports were available then it’s poor judgement, but if fuel really was that low surely a serious safety issue?

LuganoPirate
    Participant

“Use an alternative airport perhaps?”. My thoughts as well Simon, and finally someone else on this thread slamming AF for their immense incompetence.

Bucksnet
    Participant

A country on the verge of civil war? I think they’re there already!

AF are incompetent LP, and I doubt I will be flying them. The captain should have diverted elsewhere, but as Syria is an ex-French territory maybe this is a factor in their thinking.

TominScotland
    Participant

Come on, guys, these mindless tirades against France and AF in particular do not do any of you much credit. You/ we do not know all the facts here, certainly not from the Telegraph report. For example, how long did the aircraft hold before it became clear that Beiruit was not safe? Were there other constraints which mitigated against the use of other airports besides fuel?

Vertrek
    Participant

Hi Tom,

I’ve read the threat and decided to stay quiet as I am not surprise.
    In fact when I read the news online I bet with a friend and made a list of BT users that are going to be “very clever” to explain with all their “knowledge” and provide a “solution” only to bring down AF’s image and so far, I am winning a lot! As it was £25 per name! 😉

My advice, save your time, let them be and Bless them all. =)
    Will be flying KL tomorrow to Jakarta and AF next week to Paris.
    Greeting from Asia and have a good week Tom!

Safe travel all!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls