Aer Lingus under threat from Ryanair/Norwegian

Back to Forum
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• AMcWhirter
    Participant

Aer Lingus and Dublin are popular with readers. A good number of you like using Dublin as a transatlantic gateway.

In recent times Aer Lingus has been doing well both on short-haul routes and its long-haul transatlantic operations.

But at the weekend Irish media reported that the good times may be coming to an end.

It is true that Aer Lingus is acquiring a number of long-range A321 neos which will enable it to better compete on some transatlantic routes, but it will be some time before they can enter service. See “Narrow Margins” in Business Traveller, March 2017.

Long-haul travel: Narrow margins

And there is much overcapacity.

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/aer-lingus-warns-it-faces-turbulent-times-as-lowcost-norwegian-and-ryanair-threaten-its-market-share-35957841.html

capetonianm
    Participant

That’s a great shame. I would guess that the ‘benefits’ from the BA/IAG tie-up never materialised. Perhaps whoever runs EI would be able to take it out of the unholy alliance of One World to function proudly again as an independent Irish airline.

TominScotland
    Participant

capetonianm, Aer Lingus is not part of oneworld

capetonianm
    Participant

It used to be, and I believe it still retains some sort of alliance and codesharing with BA, but I am wrong, it isn’t part of One World.

penfold69
    Participant

The codesharing with BA is only since the IAG takeover. I’m taking from the article that there could be a new crew set up to lower the cost base, which sounds a bit like BA and their mixed fleet crew. I can see a stand off in the future. I just hope they can manage it better than BA, but it’s doubtful, given they both have the same parent.

GrahamC
    Participant

It’s probably to be expected that Aer Lingus will paint the darkest picture possible in the particular document being cited.

This is a pre-cursor to entering the Irish Labour Court in an attempt to talk down the union demands for a 5% pay increase each year for the next 3 years as well as profit share and restoration of increments foregone during the recession.

FrDougal
    Participant

The IAG business style is making an appearance!

I wonder if we will experience a shockingly deteriorating service over night as per BA!

Personally I don’t believe any of the article. It’s just an excuse for cost cutting so the board can reward themselves!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls