Aegean Airlines A321

Back to Forum
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• Anonymous

Arrived at E Venizelos airport at 12 noon for my 13.30 flight.

Aegean Checkin was very busy and only one desk was open for Business Class, however the queue moved fairly quickly and it took about 7 minutes before I got to the front. Thereafter the process was swift and I was allocated 3a which proved to be the last row in the small business cabin.

Apart from the fact that the international gates are at the opposite end of the airport from Aegean checkin necessitating a 10 minute walk to passport control and security, the process was quick and hassle free – a delightful change from LHR.

Aegean uses the Swissport Lounge which was again a 5 minute walk beyond gate 22 from which we would eventually depart. The lounge was clean with settee type white leather seating. Fairly basic refreshments were on offer – a few sandwiches were in the fridge , a couple of bottles of wine were open and a few bottles of spirits. Tea and coffee from a machine were available. There were lavatories available although the paper towel machine in the gents was jammed. Wifi was free but not very strong. Certainly not a particularly impressive lounge although the girl on the desk was very friendly.

The flight was called at 13.00 and we were bussed to the plane although several jetties were empty. There was no separate line for business although it would not have helped much as everybody was crammed into the same bus. The bus driver was obviously used to driving in the Athenian traffic as he set off and took the first corner as if it was a race to the plane.

Once aboard, however, things looked up and the crew were friendly and welcoming. The A321 seemed to be pretty new and was fitted with slim line seats in a 3/3 layout with the central seat blocked off. Leg room was acceptable. There certainly seemed to be more room than in BA319s A320s etc.. club europe seat. (I do not find these seats particularly comfortable but that is a personal reaction.)

Champagne, water or orange juice in real glasses were offered and menus were handed out. There was a 15 minute wait for a second bus and then another 10 minutes before we moved.

Take off was smooth although there was lightning visible in the hills near the airport. When the seatbelt lights were extinguished hot towels were distributed and the drinks trolley appeared. I had a couple of glasses of a very acceptable sparkling wine served with a packet of nibbles. The lunch service started about half an hour after take off. White table cloths ( synthetic) were placed on the pull down tables and lunch trays were distributed. A very nice and fresh tasting greek salad was offered as a starter with small individual bottles of good quality olive oil. Warm rolls were distributed. The choices for mains were a beef and chicken burger with mashed potato and tomato or salmon with hollandaise sauce and these were served after the starter plates had been collected. I chose the meat dish which tasted much nicer than it sounded. Red or white wine was on offer and I chose a very acceptable greek Sauvignan blanc which was liberally poured. Following the main was a cheese plate with 2 greek cheeses and fruit. The attendants then cleared the plates and served a dessert which was trio of Greek offerings, a baklava,
    a walnut cake and a pastry – all of which were moist and delicious. Coffee and brandy, Greek or French, was then offered with refills if required. I compared this excellent offering with my last BA club Europe lunch and I must say the Aegean offering was much better.

The flight was smooth and about 40 minutes before we began our descent, the tax free shopping cart came through the cabin. There were 10 passengers in business and at least half made a purchase.

We did not have to stack and landed smoothly at LHR about 15 minutes late at 15.29 and had a 10 minute taxi to the gate in T2. Deplaning was quick but everything came to a halt as either BAA or Aegean had forgotten to open the door at the top of the ramp. There was 5 or so minutes hiatus before a very grumpy lady arrived to open the doors with what could only be termed 'bad grace'. There were no queues for immigration and the luggage was on the carousel within half an hour of landing.

In summary, I think that Aegean’s on board service was pretty good but was let down by the ground elements. The fare was £150 cheaper than BA and represented good value. I would definitely choose them again.

Review courtesy of Seatplans.com. Original review by user Mickb can be found here

CXDiamond
    Participant

Well I think this is an interesting review but perhaps the poster could pay a little attention to the formatting in future, it’s very difficult to read as it stands.

MickBettesworth
    Participant

Point taken! Will try to make the next one more readable!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls