Abuse of authority

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)

• Tete_de_cuvee
    Participant

Conair – If you had provided a link to your blog-complaint within your comment above, then anyone here that clicks on the link would boost its google rating/profile thus helping it to go viral.

stevescoots
    Participant

I have a collegue who was gold for years with BA, reguraly flying F. On one flight he knocked back a sleeping pill with a double brandy (first drink after take off) he then politely requested another and she refused to serve, stating that he “may” get drunk and then become a problem, he requested again, she refused.

He sat down, calmly, politley, got off the flight, cut up his BA card and has never flown with them since. Voting with his feet.

That wasnt a dig at BA as it was some time ago, just an example of how to deal with it. AirFrance, Lufthansa and of course that other comedy airline from ireland are all on my voluntary no-fly list for bad service with a terrible attitude.

esselle
    Participant

If you want to see how social networking can be used in the David vs Goliath world of an insignificant passenger trying to get some common sense out of a deaf service provider, look at the following…….

http://www.boston.com/travel/blog/2009/07/song_over_guita.html

JamesMoloney5
    Participant

Steve, at last somebody who has something to say about the topic of the original post……………my reason for posting was because I was interested to know the forum’s views on abuse of authority rather than how effective it is to go viral……

VK, the reason I waited for three months to post this topic was to be sure that the emotion and subjectivity had been jettisoned and I can assure you there is nothing subjective about this posting….all facts…..I also acknowledge my own shortcomings but still maintain that the CSD went way beyond her authority in making the threats she made……

Do you think that she was within her rights to threaten me in this way, if the facts as presented by me are a fair representation of what occurred?

Simple question really……………!

And BTW, VK’s play on words in respect of the alternative name for Aer Lingus refers way back to a Smirnoff vodka advert and it went ‘viral’ in Ireland before Facebook, Twitter or anything like it were available…good old “viral word of mouth”……….

FlyingChinaman
    Participant

James,

I certainly think the CSD over-reacted to your initial shouting but human being DO make crack under pressure and this lady certainly was not good at “neutralizing” a situation. May be Aer Lingus should send her back for a refresher course on how to deal with unhappy passengers.

I thought VK’s playing with word was lovely but apparantly too “adult” for the Flying Nurse!!! The person may or may not be prudent, certainly short on humour!

High-Life without Abuse to All!!!

VintageKrug
    Participant

Not at all acceptable, but certainly within her legal rights to make you obey her commands – trouble is, she has been given this authority without any understanding of when it is appropriate to assert it, or appropriate customer service skills.

While I have no trouble believing you, it is nonetheless hearsay; you don’t have pictures, video or a transcript or evidence of your dissatisfaction and it’s therefore in quite a different category from the example of Thomson Holidays.

The thought of a complaint about Cunni Lingus “going viral” is has me reaching for a Dental Dam, though am not certain any airline is handing these out in their F washbags…..

FlyingChinaman
    Participant

The facial expression can play a big part on how people would react to each others when talking. Pity there were no images captured with the real-time dialogue! May be we can search for an independent witness for that event!!!!!

VectorOne
    Participant

James,

Stop trying to dress this up as if you are the injured party.

Since when has it become acceptable to shout at people…especially a lady…within the confines of an aircraft cabin…her place of work…in front of children (your own) and presumably other passengers?

Did it make you feel a better man shouting at a woman? And badgering her for an answer…what are you, 7 years of age?

In my younger days I worked in a customer service role and observed that men were quick to be nasty and aggressive when dealing with female members of staff…less so when dealing with a man. Maybe you just don’t like the fact that a woman told you “where to get off with yourself” and moreso had the authority and responsibility to do so.

From what you’ve posted it sounds that the CSD was completely right. And her comments about your parenting skills were spot on.

Good for her!!!

Bunnahabhain
    Participant

James you threw away any higher card than that of the CSD which you may have held straight away;

“I wasn’t happy with myself when I raised my voice, but quickly apologised and made sure my kids were aware that I was not happy with my own behaviour.”

Not only did you first raise your voice thereby setting the wrong tone for the rest of the conversation and prompting a defensive, equally confrontational stance from the CSD as others have pointed out, you then apologised. Ok that did show her, your children and other passengers that you recognised your initial bahaviour was inappropriate, and to continue in a raised voice would have been worse still, but that admission of your inappropriate tone just hands the trump cards right to the person with the support and protection of the various authorities – at least at the time if not permanently. I used to have a colleague whose behaviour had a habit of being like yours was at first, and an apology would usually follow. It never sought to address the underlying problem that there was an interpersonal skills issue in the first place.

Whatever the background to the situation, which as others have said was probably a no win all round, TominScotland (at 0846) sums it up.

I’m no expert in complaining or negotiation skills, but I absolutely detest raised voices, even if not directed at me, whether from men or women. Remember how the French rugby union team used to give away so many points by the 10 yards up the pitch dissent rule…

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

Vintage Krug

Are you a pervert or do you just like to use vulgar words in the fashion of an immature schoolboy?

VintageKrug
    Participant

Pervert.

Must dash, my flasher mac hasn’t had an outing in some time.

The_Flying_Nurse
    Participant

FlyingChinaman, you know nothing about me and therefore are in no position to make any personal remarks or inferences about me so please refrain from doing so.
    JamesMoloney5, I saw no reference to any Smirnoff advert in VintageKrug’s post. I’m sure he or she can provide comment if inclined to do so, but preferably of a less coarse nature. With regard to your intial and very lengthy post, it appears to me that you had your rant and disliked being put in your place by the CSD. Cabin crew will always have the upper hand in these situations and raising your voice was wrong on several levels. You obviously rattled the CSD and most probably upset your children and fellow passengers. For the sake of a 25 minute delay I wonder if the aggravation was really worth it.

Tirana1
    Participant

James

It sounds to me that you were entirely justified in demonstrating a degree of annoyance at being badly treated by the airline – it is so easy for a CSD to respond in prissy fashion and little can be done in response. You may find the video function on a blackberry/Iphone an interesting approach next time you find arrogant and unhelpful staff attitudes. Uploading it to YouTube should at least prove therapeutic.

As for VK’s vulgarity – I for one thought it rather amusing.

FlyingChinaman
    Participant

YES NURSE!!!!!

conair346
    Participant

He had no higher cards to begin with. Travelling with Aer Lingus was the first mistake.

The crews have been more battered by management than I care to find out about. We all moan about how BD have no direction, BA favour ex-EU pax, and LH’s all around poor customer service, but EI was once a fine airline, part of an alliance with powerful partners. Its now a low fare airline shorthaul and ‘full service’ longhaul – with a view to becoming all full service and alliance aligned again. Its main competitor owns a large part of it and is snapping at its heels to have a full corporate take over.

Cut the CSD some slack. Maybe next time travel Swiss.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls