AA will axe Manchester-New York JFK

Back to Forum
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

• AMcWhirter
    Participant

So far the news is little known outside the Greater Manchester area.

But the Manchester Evening News has reported that American Airlines (AA) will axe its route to New York JFK from the start of its 2018 summer schedules.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/american-airlines-axing-manchester-new-13506788

The news comes only a few weeks after United announced it was axing its New York service from Birmingham on October 5.

United axes Birmingham-New York route

Budget airline Primera will fill the gap at Birmingham but travellers will have to wait until April 2018.

There are already alternatives at Manchester. However another carrier might emerge between now and next year to take AA’s place.

TominScotland
    Participant

Alex – add to that United’s decision to make Glasgow – New York a seasonal route and this highlights the difficulties in making regional routes westbound from the UK pay. Also puts calls from posters here for BA to reintroduce US flights from the regions into some perspective. It is odd, however, that carriers can make eastbound long-haul flights from the regions work (ME3, CX, SQ) while those to the US seem to struggle.

nevereconomy
    Participant

The AA flight to PHL is a notable success, partly due to steady Premium business, but also the large number of passengers who
    connect in Philadelphia. Maybe JKF has a disadvantage in this respect. Philadelphia is probably a less daunting prospect, though
    not always easy. Additionally the equipment used on the JFK was a 757, I believe……..

Markuk2003
    Participant

I am not surprised and I was a frequent traveller in both the front and the back. Over the last year the performance of the route was shocking an sometimes over 8 hours late. The product in the back is something out of the 1980’s. Given the other carriers on this route I think the travelling public has voted with their feet. TCX have a good economy product however you do have to pay for your drinks and upgrade to better choice of movies and VS. Both of these on wide bodies. I jumped a long time ago and a lost.

bluemooner
    Participant

So much for the Northern Powerhouse!!!

AMcWhirter
    Participant

TominScotland – The main problem with the likes of AA/UA is that their operating costs are too high to compete with the growing number of low-cost airlines starting to fly transatlantic.

You may have seen the piece we published last year about the US carriers starting Basic Economy fares in the US.

It’s now being reported that AA wants to bring that concept to some/all transatlantic routes and possibly as early as 2018.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

I agree with Markuk2003, TCX are popular and keenly priced.

Olneyflyer
    Participant

The low cost airlines are only good if you are going point to point. I suspect that AA were looking for a greater amount of feed on this service. That said JFK is not a great airport to transit through and probably explains why Philadelphia keeps its Manchester service as its is a relative joy to transit through. Also the AA JFK service is only seasonal which makes it difficult to become a regular choice for business travellers.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=824759]The low cost airlines are only good if you are going point to point. I suspect that AA were looking for a greater amount of feed on this service. That said JFK is not a great airport to transit through and probably explains why Philadelphia keeps its Manchester service as its is a relative joy to transit through. Also the AA JFK service is only seasonal which makes it difficult to become a regular choice for business travellers.

[/quote]

Out of interest, TCX offers connections, e.g. the below (not a good itinerary, but just to illustrate the point)

Thomas Cook Airlines TCX455 | Operated by Alaska Airlines
    2h 58

08:07
    LAX Los Angeles International
    11:05
    SEA Seattle / Tacoma International

3h 10
    Connect in airport
    Long wait

Thomas Cook AirlinesThomas Cook Airlines TCX2037 | Operated by Condor
    10h 30
    14:15
    SEA Seattle / Tacoma International
    09:45 (+1)
    MUC Munich
    5h 50
    Connect in airport
    Long wait

Thomas Cook AirlinesThomas Cook Airlines TCX2502 | Operated by Lufthansa
    2h 05
    15:35
    MUC Munich
    16:40
    MAN Manchester

Flightlevel
    Participant

TominScotland and others for BA, its not in their business plan (based on LHR transfers) ‘though maybe a Level route one day.
    A321LR could be efficient on the route ‘though don’t think IAG has confirmed any orders?

Selbyjay
    Participant

I agree with Markuk2003. Based in the North, I’d choose Manchester over London any day, but not on the battered old aircraft used by the US carriers. Lack of investment by those carriers on the route will have put passengers off using them.

Flightlevel
    Participant

PatJordan reports on the EI MAN-DUB service so it maybe a good route, if connections, to USA. Not BA, still an IAG operation and an hour in Dublin is easier than travel via LHR and you can clear US customs.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls