A350 vs B787

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

• traveldoc1
    Participant

Admittedly limited experiences of either, but having just flown AY HEL-BKK on their A350 I think it’s way ahead of the 787. Will fly the A350 again in April and the 787 (this time BA) in June, so future comparisons to follow.

ghlotus
    Participant

Yes. For some reason, B787 business classes seem more cramped than A350 business classes. Are the overall cabin dimensions smaller perhaps?

capetonianm
    Participant

I hope this isn’t going to turn into a ‘Boeing vs. Airbus’ discussion, because those tend to be pointless.

The perceived comfort level and spaciousness is entirely down to the type and configuration of the seats and this is chosen by the operating airline, not by the aircraft manufacturer. I am also told by a friend who is an interior designer (homes and offices, not aircraft) that colours can also trick the eye into thinking that a space is larger or smaller than it really is.

As a matter of interest, the 787 is about 10 cm narrower, but I suspect that the dimensions given are an average as the fuselage width is not uniform throughout the aircraft length.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

The A350 is slightly wider, hence the XWB – Extra Wide Body but on A350XWB< but it's really just marketing since that equates to an extra to an extra 12-15cm depending on which authority you go to. I'm not sure that makes a huge difference in business, but Airbus are very keen to market the difference to economy passengers (main cabin) since it can make a difference there.

canucklad
    Participant

Tom, you’re right about Airbus’s XWB marketing ploy, just words to try and change perception.
    Losing my 350 virginity in March, on CX’s Manchester service so kinda looking forward to it.

I recall the hype surrounding the “Dreamliner” and I was sadly underwhelmed when I flew on that aircraft.

Traveldoc1, I firmly belief its not the aircraft, but the airline and more specifically the crew that determine the quality of your flight.

Even now, I’d rather fly on an old DC-8, as long as its plaid in orange, red and silver and crewed by staff proud to represent their company.
    And for those regular contributors , apologies for another boring nostalgic link back to the 70’s & 8o’s

Aviabrin
    Participant

The A350 has a tail camera while the B787 doesn’t have one.

The B787 features the bigger windows, about 65 per cent bigger than a standard airline window.

The fuselage of an A350 is around 5 inches or 13 centimeters wider than its counterpart of the Boeing 787 Dreamliner.

Both the Dreamliner and A350 have far quieter cabins than conventional aircraft. And the A350 is even more quiet than the B787 Dreamliner.

NNoah16
    Participant

I flew Qatar Airlines in business in both the 787 and the 350 and found the 350 to be a more pleasant experience.
    I had high expectations of the 787 which I didn’t feel were met.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

[quote quote=845106]I flew Qatar Airlines in business in both the 787 and the 350 and found the 350 to be a more pleasant experience. I had high expectations of the 787 which I didn’t feel were met.
    [/quote]

I too have done that, but I did struggle to see the difference in business. I you have time, why did you prefer the A350?

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Turkish Airlines is hedging its bets. It has already ordered B787s and just now comes news that it will buy 25 A350s.

Nogbad01
    Participant

I think it depends more on the chosen seats etc.
    Both are great aircraft and I have flown the following:
    BA 787-8 Heathrow – Calgary. Club World. Same as any other BA plane, but less tatty due to new aircraft
    Qatar 789-9? Manchester – Doha. Business. Really very good. Great seat, IFE, food, drink and service.
    Finnair A350 Helsinki -Seoul and Helsinki – Hong Kong. Business, Nice. Slightly less comfortable than the Qatar seats, less choice of food and IFE. The main thing I noticed was that the cabin was already starting to fall apart, with overhead bins taped up and some of the little lockers either taped shut or not latching closed. Not a good sign on such new aircraft.
    Not that this is a point against the A350, just the business class product they have chosen to equip it with.

esselle
    Participant

I think it is entirely down to the airlines and little if anything to do with the airframe.

Among other I have flown F on the BA 789, and J on the QR A350; the QR wins hands down for space and comfort, thus nothing to do with the airframe.

Don’t talk here about service or food etc as these are not relevant considerations, given that they are determined entirely by the carrier and not the manufacturer.

Aviabrin
    Participant

1. The A350 has a tail camera while the B787 doesn’t have one.
    2. The B787 features the bigger windows, about 65 per cent bigger than a standard airline window.
    3. The fuselage of an A350 is around 5 inches or 13 centimeters wider than its counterpart of the Boeing 787 Dreamliner.
    4. Both the Dreamliner and A350 have far quieter cabins than conventional aircraft. And the A350 is even more quiet than the B787 Dreamliner.

I prefer A350 – quieter, wider cabin (I hope I will never fly B787 again 🙂 )

AisleSeatTraveller
    Participant

AMcWhirter – what if this is a deal that starts to replace the as yet unfinalised 787 order? Turkey has been an outspoken critic of Mr Trump’s foolish Jerusalem policy, cancelled orders for Boeing aeroplanes from (islamic) airlines would hit him where it hurts most (american jobs).

personally I feel the a350 is slighty less noisy than the 787 (and like the previous comment flew on both back to back, 787 from EDI to DOH and 350 from DOH o SIN)

AMcWhirter
    Participant

AisleSeatTraveller – I honestly don’t know re TK’s A350 order.

On another matter, I see that the above claims that A350/B787 “have far quieter cabins than conventional aircraft.”

I would have thought the upper deck of an A380 would be quietest of all.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls