A weekend destination accessible from Frankfurt…

Back to Forum
Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

• capetonianm
    Participant

Martyn you originally said : “I have a free weekend February 16th.” and unless I missed it, you never modified that, so I think all the suggestions were based on the presumption that it was a weekend, not 24 hours.

I used to sometimes stay over weekends in Lindenfels, in a pretty simple but lovely ‘gemutlich’ hotel where I was able to go into the kitchen if I arrived late at night, and make myself a meal! I’m not sure if that’s the sort of place you are looking for and I don’t know there’s anything there that would suit your requirement. The area is called the Bergstrasse and is very atttractive.

Closer to Frankfurt is a medieval village called Dreieichenhain but again, I don’t know about hotels there. There’s the Taunus Mountains, Wiesbaden, and Mainz, which all have much to offer.

Schoenes Wochenende, wherever you decide to go, and hopefully you’ll let us know where you ended up.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Thanks capetonianm – it was meant to be Friday eve to Sunday, but has now turned into Saturday midday to Sunday mid afternoon…

Wiesbaden I know pretty well – and I had been planning to be in Feldberg, running up a world cup down hill ski slope (vertical streif) but the event was cancelled due to lack of snow and possible damage to the environment…

My ideal solution for such a short weekend away, is to drive somewhere and find that gemutlich place…

Will let you know …

Thanks again for the ideas, Porto will be kept, if indeed the short weekend turns into a longer weekend later in the year…

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Finally found my weekend paradise and within 1 hour (90km) of Frankfurt flug…

Der Schafhof Amorbach – http://www.schafhof.de/index.php/id-4-star-country-hotel.html

A converted monastery, retaining many original features, an easy drive from the airport. Situated in the hills and forestry of the Bavarian Odenwald nature park. The hotel benefits from 2 restaurants, one awarded a Michelin star.

What made this hotel stand out were:

**the reasonable room costs (Euros 80 through to 270 – 6 room categories, basic to Luxury Suite)

**no formal dress codes for such a high end restaurant, but every guest looked smart of respectful, whether in jeans or slacks.

The hotel does not feel stuffy of posh, rather elegant and homely with wonderful staff…

The weather was also amazing – the only slight worry were the snakes along the nature walk, but nobody could tell whether they were poisonous or not…

Would I recommend this hotel – YES
    Would I go back – YES
    Would I like to read an Uggy review on this property – YES

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls