A new club world seat in 2019 – so says Mr Cruz

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)

• MartynSinclair
    Participant

So its now official, a new club world seat.

“A more premium Club World

We’re completely transforming your experience in Club World, our long haul business cabin.

We’re introducing more choice and better quality food and drinks in the lounges in June. A new restaurant-style dining service on board will start in September, featuring beautiful new table settings and display trolleys for you to select freshly prepared dishes.

From July you can enjoy a more comfortable sleep in the sky and relax on your fully flat bed with new linen, a bigger pillow, soft mattress topper and plump duvet.

All these changes will be introduced on flights between London and New York (JFK) before they’re rolled out to the rest of our long haul network during 2018. And last but not least, you can look forward to a new Club World seat with direct aisle access in 2019.

I wonder whether the seat is included in the “all these changes …….before they’re rolled out to the rest of our long haul network……” statement??? (or just in the new A350)…

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

New Club World seat

“We have made a decision to move away from the Club World seats. The time has come to change and the decision has been made. It’s going to take a little time, and we’re not going to oversell and we will tell you as we make our decisions, but it will have full-aisle, all-aisle access for all passengers so people will no longer have to have long legs to step over a passenger when they want to get to the aisle. We will take some time to come back with all the details of how we will do that.”

British Airways promotes £400 million investment in lounges and food

To answer your question, they haven’t decided.

He was pressed on it and his decision was they haven’t yet made a decision.

He said that when they considered an aircraft like the B787-9 (which we were on) it was a different thinking process to the older aircraft (ie: whether the seats would be replaced).

Flightlevel
    Participant

It was patented last year and reported here I believe, and surprising it takes 3 years to manufacture unless it only makes a debut on BA A350s?

FDOS_UK
    Participant

Dear Mr FDOS_UK

I’m writing to you with news on the exciting new future of British Airways.

Over the coming months we will be revealing a series of innovative and transformational new products and services, which will change the way you fly with us around the world.

We have been listening and we will be investing where it matters the most. Already we have launched The First Wing, our dedicated premium check-in area at Heathrow Terminal 5, to help speed up your journey through the airport and maximise moments of comfort and relaxation.

But there is more to come… a £400m redesign of the Club World experience, state-of-the-art upgrades of some of our busiest lounges, improving our punctuality and baggage handling processes, and introducing the latest generation Wi-Fi across our fleet, to name but a few. You can discover more and stay updated on all our latest news on ba.com.

Discover more (link) https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb…

I genuinely believe these enhancements will make your experience of travelling with British Airways better and more enjoyable.
    Warm regards,

Alex Cruz
    Chairman and CEO

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Can I have a chicken doner and an Adana, please?

Malta mann
    Participant

@FDOS UK

ROFL

GivingupBA
    Participant

I’m sorry, BA, but I’ve been waiting 16 years for improvements in your Club World cabin and it hasn’t happened yet. I don’t want to be asked to wait for an indefinite further period. I am not excited by your vague promises (and lack of definite dates for improvements).

I still fly you, BA (although increasingly less often). But you are being left ever-further behind by other carriers.

Gold-2K
    Participant

Is the ying-yang Mk3 definitely the seat he is talking about? “Move away from the Club World Seats” sounds more than the ‘evolution’ he previously made reference to?

Re the other CW enhancements, I can’t wait to see how the poor cabin crew make up the bed of a traveller in a window seat when all the aisle passengers are already ‘tucked up’. I’m expecting a lot of sick leave with back problems! And if they are doing away with trays and offering a more personal dinner service, how can they do that efficiently without lowering and raising the screens several times? Maybe thats why they are upgrading the earplugs and eye shades?

Still, being positive, its a (long overdue) step in the right direction!

JCoathup
    Participant

Is the ying-yang Mk3 definitely the seat he is talking about? “Move away from the Club World Seats” sounds more than the ‘evolution’ he previously made reference to?

This is exactly what I thought.

Until now any talk about a new Club hard product has been along the lines of an upgrade to the existing seat rather than an entirely new product. Mr Cruz also previously indicated that the “upgraded” seat would only be fitted to the A350-1000 aircraft.

The tone is now “Move away from the Club World Seat” and a “new” product being fitted to A350-1000 and B787-10, and that they are investigating retrofitting it to other aircraft. Furthermore, the fact that Mr Cruz stated that “we will tell you as we make our decisions” suggests no decisions besides all aisle access have been made.

Whilst I am hoping for something more that the Mk3 that has been shown before, I wouldn’t be surprised if BA’s plan is to introduce that seat on the A350-1000/B787-10, and then decide whether or not to retrofit it to the rest of the fleet based on customer feedback.

We’ve been waiting this long, whats another 2 years.

drgc
    Participant

Is this still the proposed new CW seat?

Edski777
    Participant

drgc, let’s hope not. It doesn’t look very impressive and, at least in my opinion, is not that much of an upgrade to the current 777 installed product. 1-2-1 and all facing forward or the Virgin herringbone is much more appealing to me.

Stowage222
    Participant

Gold 2K – don’t get too excited, you’ll have better bedding but a turn down service is not on the cards – it’s DIY.

seasonedtraveller
    Participant

I had the same Email as did FDOS_UK

Well, it’s not before time – as we said on another thread, BA’s First isn’t even as good as other carriers Business.

Our friends at BA really ought to consider ditching the word ‘enhancements’ from their vocabulary – it conjures up all the wrong things in my head.

Mr FDOS – Could you make mine an Iskender……

stevescoots
    Participant

I had the same, in my spam folder

GivingupBA
    Participant

Edski777, you said “drgc, let’s hope not. It doesn’t look very impressive…”. Absolutely right. Did BA post that photo? If they did, they would be right out of touch: anyway, the photo shows a clearly inferior J class product. I could immediately name several airlines who have better J seats/ layout, but won’t do so because forum readers know it very well!

Gold-2K
    Participant

If this really is the new seat, I think even the die-hard super loyal customers will begin to go elsewhere.

“And last but not least, you can look forward to a new Club World seat with direct aisle access in 2019”

…… this will mean the existing seat will be 20 years old. It will almost acquire official “antique” status. Surely a first for the airline industry.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls