A disappointing New Year's Eve

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)

• MartynSinclair
    Participant

@Mikeact – I would 100% recommend Trakdot (and I don’t work for the company)

Yes they have their issues and the next generation, when launched will be better – but the worst thing about a bag going missing, is not knowing where it is. The first time I used the unit, my bag did not appear, I was told it was in London, but by using trakdot, I could tell the and show the very embarrassed airline agent, it was less than 100 metres from where we were (in Miami).

Travelling4Fun
    Participant

Yes Mikeact I would recommend TrakDot highly – not least because it confirmed what I knew but had to persuade KLM which was that my bag was still at BHX. Very reassuring and despite all else good to be able to show the airline I knew what I was talking about even though they did not.

The latest, for those who are enjoying reading this soap opera, is that my luggage has returned from AMS. It should be in BKK now and is estimated to arrive at VTE around 12.35 local time. I will take time out and actually go to the airport early afternoon because until I am actually reunited with my bag I am not sure I believe everything I am being told and sadly the TrakDot is no longer able to transmit since the batteries ran out.

K1ngston
    Participant

But the point is it a waste of money, my suggestion it is… It didnt prevent your luggage going missing T4F and certainly hasnt sped the process of getting your baggage delivered so pray tell what is the point??

I know its boys with their toys and I get that as I am as big a boy as the rest but really????

MartynSinclair
    Participant

@K1ngston – you are absolutely right, a tracker does not prevent your bags from going missing. What it does do though, is provide reassurance that you know exactly where the missing bags are and can correct the ground staff with the b*ll*cks they give you when making inquiries about where the missing bags are – as happened to me when I was told bags are in London, when I could prove, they were in the arrivals hall at my destination.

This is of course on the basis the units are working.. 🙂

DerekVH
    Participant

Totally agree with Martyn and I would say the devices are excellent value for money. Twice I have been able to demonstrate where my luggage was when the airline staff had no idea and it is a cosy feeling when you are standing by the baggage delivery belt and a text message confirms your luggage is at your destination.

K1ngston
    Participant

You guys are clearly travelling with the wrong airlines …. In all my years its happened to me twice, once with the dreaded KLM flying to SFO through Gatwick I arrived safely in SFO my luggage didnt that was when they were flying the MD10’s ( I believe that was the plane with 3 engines right?)

The second was with my favourite airline MH!!!! Couldnt get my luggage to SIN from KUL but it was the weekend after MH370 and I forgave them for that..

Again pack light (you know it makes sense!)

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

A question to all of you. As a number of airlines have banned smart bags can I assume that Trakdot is not subject to that ban?.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

As far as I am aware Trakdot is not banned for 2 reasons:

1. It uses AA batteries
    2. The unit is programmed to go to sleep and not transmit, when it is in the air – not sure how it knows though…

DerekVH
    Participant

The Trakdot unit senses the speed of the plane taking off and puts the unit to sleep, the braking action wakes it up again (to the best of my knowledge)

Ian168
    Participant

I am still suffering from the horrors that Ethiopian Airlines are giving me on how they are solving my lost luggage situation.

I took Ethiopian Airlines from DXB to YYZ with connecting flight in Addis Ababa. About 15 minutes after we took off, the plane headed back to DXB but the pilot did not offer any explanation. The plane sat on the tarmac for an hour then eventually continued our journey to ADD. At that point, I was already worried that I will miss my connecting flight back to Toronto. I was able to board my connecting flight but without running towards the gate (by the way, airport staff gives conflicting directions on which gate to go).

My problem started when I wasn’t able to retrieve my other luggage so I filed a delayed baggage report expecting that they will resolve my dilemma swiftly as they have said that it will come the following day. After two days of waiting, I have decided to follow up but apparently, my report was not in their file so I had to provide them with my luggage tag # and other information. According to them, their system found my luggage still in ADD and have requested their baggage services team load my baggage on the next flight to YYZ. The agent sent me a copy of this email request for my reference. It has been almost less than a week since I arrived and until now, my baggage is still in ADD. According to the agent, his emails continued to be ignored and his calls were not answered. I’ve already demanded compensation and considering legal action. My prescription medicines are inside and it’s not easy to get a refill of those.

Travelling4Fun
    Participant

Apologies for not completing my account – but I have spent the weekend unpacking my bag !!!!! – which finally arrived in VTE on Friday afternoon. I had received a Messenger message from KLM to tell me the flights it was on on Thursday/Friday but when I telephoned KLM no one could tell me whether or not my bag had arrived. I phoned the airport but they couldn’t help, so I took a punt on it being there (ever the optimist !) and headed out to the airport.

About 5 minutes from my arrival the Lost and Found people called and told me to come and collect – at which there was an emotional reunion with my suitcase – the one which KLM had provided in July when they had trashed my previous one on a flight from SVO to BHX. Even though KLM people had assured me the bag would be delivered to my office – it was worth the effort to go and get it.

It was good to see the young bag – even though’s its retractable handle is not the same as it was when I entrusted it to KLM and requires a lot more effort to open and close it than in the past…… but it’s home along with my underwear.

And when I got home, I opened a bag of Celebrations that had been a last-minute impulse purchase which I planned to scoff on New Year’s Eve….whilst in my hotel room. And another big plus is that no longer am I having nightmares about having the possibility of having to go commando to work.

In answer to K1ngston’s post – the best thing for me about the TrakDot is that I could inform KLM where my bag was and confirm that they had not loaded it onto my flight but left it at BHX. So from that point of view it was very useful. Also, until the batteries went down (and here I have to admit to being a bit cheapskate – I did not put in fresh batteries because the adventure my bag was about to embark on did not cross my mind, but in my laptop I had fresh ones for the more complicated routing ready to put in before departing AMS) I was kept informed of my bag’s whereabouts – more reliably I am sorry to say than KLM. I shall not make this mistake again (but then I may not fly KLM again…..)

Anyway – many thanks to Business Traveller for having this forum – it felt good to let off steam online ! Also thanks for encouraging remarks from contributors. As for the Summer Leave – well I have already planned to keep a set of essentials here and order some more for the UK so perhaps I may actually manage to travel light and not have to risk losing my luggage again.

I know have the ordeal of putting in my claim……

K1ngston
    Participant

T4F an odd feeling of elation for something that should never have happened… VTE is like that 🙂

However you are still to convince me that its not just another “boys toys” purchase

The fact is, when the batteries were working you knew where your bag was if I may be so bold “so what” they were not whisked to you on a private jet with with a gift of champagne and “celebrations” to toast the amazing device ..

You and I probably would have had the same experience if I had placed my bag in the hold and a) I dont have the device and b) never will…

Glad you are reunited with your belongings may you have many happy days together 🙂

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Delighted to hear your bag has arrived. Would be interested to hear if the batteries were indeed dead or whether the unit was not responding….

One of the added benefits of trakdot is you can enter 5 additional email addresses (and at one point SMS/text numbers). All email addresses will be sent a message to confirm your bags have arrived, i.e. you have also arrived safe and sound.

I do not consider this a “boys toy” Mr K1ngston… It can provide vital data to the actual whereabouts of a lost suitcase, which is the worst part about lost luggage – not knowing where the case really is…..

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

Just for information having viewed the Trakdot video it would appear you turn it on put it in your suitcase and you are off. Could not see anything which mentions being deactivated on take off and activated on braking when landing. It would have been helpful when my bag didn´t arrive in Madrid after a 35 minute flight from Valencia. it noe appears it did arrive in Madrid but in error transited to LHR- As I had a 4 hour stopover between arriving in Madrid and my HKG flight Trakdot could well have found it in transit luggage or whatever the holding area is called.

DerekVH
    Participant

From the Trakdot website “Trakdot’s artificial intelligence shuts off its transmit-and-receive capability and enters “airplane mode” by employing solid-state accelerometer technologies that sense the sustained acceleration of an airplane during taxi and/or the approximate first third of takeoff roll. Trakdot™ is in airplane mode or “sleep mode” well before the aircraft is airborne”

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls