3 Tips for Long Stay Holidays

Back to Forum
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

• Huynha
    Participant

Long stay holidays have become increasingly popular and they do not have to be expensive if you find the right deals. If you’re considering a long stay holiday in the future, then here are 3 tips to help you get started.

1. Research the destination
    Before deciding on a holiday destination, think about the duration of the holiday, what you want to get from it, and most importantly, if the long stay holiday affordable. If you are going to be spending a lot of time at a chosen destination, then you would want to make sure that you are getting the most out of it.

2. What are the health benefits?
    One of the main benefits of taking a long holiday is the removal of stress. Choosing a destination with a warmer climate might be something to consider due to benefits it can have. Warm holiday destinations such as Tenerife can provide exotic Mediterranean cuisine and not to mention the consistent sunshine. The Mediterranean food often contains a mix of seasonal vegetables and exotic fruits.

3. Carefully consider your accommodation
    This is one of the most important points to consider for your long-stay holiday. When choosing your accommodation, take a look at the activities that they offer and see if they are activities that you would enjoy. Depending on your holiday preferences, you might enjoy a hotel with fewer activities so you can enjoy relaxing.

Having the right balance of the points above can make your long stay holiday more enjoyable and it might even leave you wanting more.

Edit: link removed. Unsolicited advertising.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Huynha, not sure if you’re working for the co-op and plugging their travel service or a genuine traveller seeking to inform us? If the former do you still get the divi when using co-op services?

If the latter, an interesting topic but I can think of many better tips.
    First. Shop around and look at some of the foreign travel sites where prices can be very competitive when compared to British ones.

2. If flying in the premium cabins look to fly ex Europe where again the fares are much better value. Ex Warsaw now seems to offer excellent prices though I’ve not checked this personally.

3. Don’t overpack. That in itself is stressful.

Errr, that’s it – I’m sure my fellow posters will add to this list!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

from me… check you have medical cover/health care/insurance for the entire duration of your overseas stay…

MrMichael
    Participant

From me…

1. Longstay holidays are often marketed in the off season….it is off season for a very good reason.
    2. What might be nice for a few nights or even a week or two may get mind numbingly dull after 30 days or so, as may the food if your package in the hotel includes some form of board.

LP, You do get a DIVI but it is all electronic now, you get a card instead of stamps to stick in. I recall as a nipper my mum wanting me to stick the stamps in the book, I hated it, she never asked again when I put the Co-Op stamps in the Green Shield book!!!

1 user thanked author for this post.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

[quote quote=786002] LP, You do get a DIVI but it is all electronic now, you get a card instead of stamps to stick in. I recall as a nipper my mum wanting me to stick the stamps in the book, I hated it, she never asked again when I put the Co-Op stamps in the Green Shield book!!!

[/quote]

I remember that MrMichael, and the garages that gave 10 fold stamps. I also remember the little tin coins you got before they introduced the stamps. I think I’ve still got a few somewhere!

JKL
    Participant

And the Master of the Bleedin’ Obvious Award for Blatant Link Spamming goes to… 😉

Anyway, for what it’s worth – serviced apartments. Even just for a few days’ trip. Often cheaper than hotels and having a washing machine makes it a lot easier to travel light…

1 user thanked author for this post.

esselle
    Participant

Luxury

Variety

Discovery

Cloud-9
    Participant

I sincerely hope the sun is behaving consistently when I take my next Mediterranean sojourn.

Just reading huynha’s post has whetted my appetite for those deliciously exotic fruits in the exotic cuisine awaiting all of us…

JamesJ
    Blocked

disovery

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Great that you’ve turned it into an interesting discussion… positive behaviour at its best.

As an aside, we have had 506 spam comments already today (on editorial news pieces). And it’s only 930am!

GivingupBA
    Participant

3 tips,
    1. take all your clothes with you on such long trips and obviously don’t forget to cover weather for 2 seasons if necessary. For me, on a short trip, fewer clothes works well: for a longer trip, it does not
    2. don’t forget all possible medication you might need for 3 months
    3. I completely agree with serviced apartments, mentioned above. For me at least, it is not pleasant to stay in hotel/s for months

canucklad
    Participant

[quote quote=785966]Tenerife can provide exotic Mediterranean cuisine and not to mention the consistent sunshine[/quote]

Has there been a massive shift in the tectonic plates ?

Any long term vacations I’ve taken have been to places where I have family so possibly not in the best position to give advice, but here goes anyway ………

Serviced apartments or a home swap arrangement seems to be the way to go. Staying in a hotel,, seems to me like isolating yourself away from you’re new community.

Learn the local lingo, even if it’s just a few key phrases to start with. It will help to make a real connection with your new neighbours.

Use your time wisely, create a mini bucket list of things you want to see and do. And importantly book up before you go, committing yourself. That way you avoid the feeling of disappointment at the end of your stay, because you got caught up in a state of daily manyana

On a side note, when I visited the UK during my summer holidays, I found shopping with my step mother bizarre all because of the reel of blue stamps dispensed at the end . And I wonder why gas stations no longer offer freebies , The Tiger stuff was brilliant !!

stevescoots
    Participant

What is this long holiday you speak of?….mnn…I am not familiar with that concept

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls