22,000 BA Avios miles available for new Amex Gold card, NO CARD FEE !

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)

• Anonymous

tangey1
    Participant

American express has a time limited referral offer that allows current cardholders to refer new card holders for the American Express Gold card. The BIG THING about this referral is that American express will waive the £125 annual fee for the first year. Once you spend £1,000 on the card in the first 3 months, you’ll get 22,000 American express reward points, which they will transfer on request to 22,000 BA Avios miles.

So simply put, if you have a £1,000 spend coming up in the next few months, don’t currently have an amex credit card, then apply using the link below, and you get 22K BA avios for absolutely no charge.

22K miles can be used to book multiple “reward saver” flights, and in fact if you went to purchase 22K avios from BA.com they would cost you over £300 (and that’s including their current 30% bonus offer).

Click the link below, and check out the terms and conditions, which confirm the waiving of the annual fee, and the 22K bonus points.

https://www.americanexpress.com/uk/mgm/friendgold.cgi?MGM_URN=AAAAEhwTHRETCQ==&om_rid=NtPXiN&om_mid=_BPyD5AB8aLFhGu&om_lid=amex9

coudntthinkofaname
    Participant

Billybab99 – I’m all for informative posts, but I think you need to be a little more transparent here – I assume that by clicking on the link, you will receive a referrer’s bonus of Membership Rewards?

My understanding is that the gold card is free in the first year for everyone and, if you spend more than £1,000 in the first 3 months, you will get 20,000 MRs PLUS there is the option to get cashback of £20 if you sign up to the card via Quidco. So, it all boils down to whether you value 2,000 MRs at more than £20. If you do, go for the referral posted above..

C

Above post edited to include reference to the 20,000 MRs on signing up

tangey1
    Participant

Yes, absolutely I receive some bonus MR points if someone goes though my link,but it is at zero cost to the referee and all the info in the above post is correct. Quidco is fine if someone is used to doing that, but for many, the handiness of just doing 1 application and getting a non-cost £300+ benefit is MUCH more attractive than having to register an account with quidco, register a way to draw money out of them, do the amex application via them, and then wait for 8-12 weeks for the £20 to *hopefully* post to their quidco account.

http://www.goingonrewards.com/

tiggerbrown
    Participant

The gold card isn’t free for everyone in the first year – the standard £125 fee applies.

When I obtained mine there was an offer of waiving 3 months’ (IIRC) fee, plus the same above AVIOS offer.

coudntthinkofaname
    Participant

@billybab99

Agreed you need to jump through more hoops to go down the Quidco route, but in the end, you will end up with £20 cashback and the benefit of c.£272+ Membership Rewards (using your valuation) given the 20,000 MR sign up bonus (subject to min spend).

@tiggerbrown

It is now free for all in the first year – see their site

http://www.americanexpress.com/uk/gold-card/

C

tiggerbrown
    Participant

@couldntthinkofaname – thanks for that – I will now be banging off a moany tweet to AMEX & letter follow-up as feel that’s quite unfair treatment for an existing (many years on other colour cards) customer.

coudntthinkofaname
    Participant

….and fortuitously, what was waiting for me at home (incredibly, only 2 days after making an application online)?……My AMEX gold card!

Now, all I have to do is figure out how to create and paste a referral link!
    😉

MarcusUK
    Participant

KLM also have the same offer with the launch of Amex for KLM in the UK.
    See the KLM UK website.

The 20,000 points, can be converted to miles of any of the main participating airlines, including KLM for which they buy you much more, 20,000 miles, than Avios. You spend £1,000 the same to get the bonus. 20K will buy you a one way in Business to the Middle East in their bi monthly -50% off miles sale, where they have destinations worldwide.

They waive the first years fee, and i have a worldwide Gold card Lounge pass for a year.
    They also double points for purchases for fuel and your supermarket.
    travel expenses overseas also earn double points for the first year.

This is more an Amex promotion rather than BA, and the miles are with ANY of the participating airlines.

handbag
    Participant

Hi marcusuk. “gold card lounge pass”. What kind of Gold Card lounge pass? KLM? Thx

openfly
    Participant

Marcusuk…….I cannot find any way on the KLM UK website to sign up for their Amex card or the offer. Any further ideas please?

VintageKrug
    Participant

Marcus, could you include a link to the klm sign up, please.

Is this a “proper” amex or a white labelled mbna knock off?

tangey1
    Participant

Note that I specified BA Avios as that is the FF programme that is often most relevant to people. However the 22K free MR points on offer with the Amex gold card above can be transferred to many FF programmes, including flying blue (ie KLM), Etihad, Asia miles ( Cathay pacific), Singapore, SAS, and Virgin, all on a 1-1 basis.

There are other cards available that provide different sign up bonuses, however this is the only one on the American express uk website that can be availed off totally free, and if you go via the website you only get 20k points , whereas via my referral you get 22k points.

http://www.goingonrewards.com/

olliewb
    Participant

T&c’s say the 20,000 are not available to existing American Express customers.see below

“The 20,000 Membership Rewards bonus points will be awarded onto your account once you have been approved and you have spent and charged £1,000 within the first 3 months of Cardmembership.All introductory offers are subject to change, can be withdrawn at any time and are not available to existing American Express customers. Please note that it can take up to 60 days after the three month introductory period for bonus points to be awarded to your account.”

VintageKrug
    Participant

The existing cardholders excluded clause is always one to watch.

However, this doesn’t stop you signing up a significant other…..

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls