2012 Cellars In The Sky

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

• Anonymous

esselle
    Participant

Interesting results.

BA come nowhere, apart from a burgundy in First which did not feature for long. Sticking to LPGC for so long, even in the CCR, says accountants rather than folk who care about the customer.

What I find more interesting however, as a very general comment, is the weight towards Middle Eastern carriers, who have clearly taken a great deal of care in their choice of wines, despite the obvious conflict that alcohol gives rise to.

BeckyBoop
    Participant

Here is the full list…

http://www.businesstraveller.com/cellars-2012

Surprising Air France don’t appear at all considering a lot of wine comes from France,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zxe565L1vCc

BA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SExCOz8CrNo

Binman62
    Participant

The results don’t surprise me at all. Qantas always had a superb cellar and Cathay simply excel in all areas of air travel.

Quality, consistency and an attention to detail will always shine through.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Gosh, BA wins a prize and still receives opprobrium. Quelle surprise!

Good to see British Airways winning the Best First Class White:

1.British Airways – Vincent Girardin Puligny Montrachet Premier Cru le Champ Gain, 2007, Burgundy, France

esselle
    Participant

VK, as I said, it was not on the list for long, and has actually been replaced by a Montrachet of inferior provenance and vintage. Shame.

Alasdair
    Participant

Qantas score the BEST cellar in the sky, justifiably. Also up there which regardless of route was Qatar which also offers a consistently excellent cellar. However, what is quite dismal, is the performance of British Airways. Premium passengers like us put up with very mediocre wines in Club and apparently (having never flown First), generally, wines on offer there are just as hit or miss.

In an area where BA have the opportunity to excel, and having had the in-house assistance of Jancis Robinson, it just isn’t good enough.

BeckyBoop
    Participant

You lot should really make an effort to go to the Taste of London event especially if you are or have been a GCH’s as you will have a chance to meet with senior members of the BA execuative team who are in charge of catering. So you can tell them to their faces how you feel and what you would like to see drink and eat onboard.

http://www.tastefestivals.com/london/

Alasdair
    Participant

Looking forward to it.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Did you manage to visit ToL last year, Alasdair?

BigDog.
    Participant

A waterlogged mudfest I recall. The BA promo team having to resort to donning distressed union jack hunter wellies to get out and persuade punters to visit the stand. The Thai village was excellent though.

VintageKrug
    Participant

I would imagine the reason that the winning Burgundy wasn’t served for very long is that it simply wasn’t available in sufficient numbers to sustain a lengthy presence.

When I spoke to the Head Wine Buyer at British Airways, he used this argument to justify the fact that he didn’t feature English wines on board. Thankfully, this was (briefly) reversed when his successor to up residence, but it’s still a factor when the volumes are taken into account (BA has around 4-5,000 F customers per day, with around 150 daily flights each requiring 6-10 bottles per aircraft for out and back stock).

So even one days operation could easily use 1500 bottles; suddenly the need for thousands of cases – and volume produced wines – becomes more apparent!

IanFromHKG
    Participant

Volume can indeed be a real issue, and a positive disincentive for a small to mid-size producer which will not want to become too closely dependent on a single airline for a large slice of its production, given that airlines do periodically refresh their wine lists.

The thing which struck me was the relatively high proportion of New World wines on the business class list – indeed, bubbles aside, only two French wines in the entire list.

Cathay, at least until fairly recently (I haven’t checked on my last few flights) used to feature slightly off-beat choices as “guest wines” for limited periods. A nice idea, featuring some wines I would probably never have tried otherwise, including a surprisingly tasty sweet rose at one point. Good for all concerned – shows some inventiveness by the airline, exposes a boutique producer to a wider audience, and gives us passengers something a little more interesting to try.

VintageKrug
    Participant

I do wish more airlines would take that approach – I recall a splendid “flight” of sherries (of all things!) on a Lufthansa flight in F.

I’ve only ever had sherry at funerals and when visiting virgin aunts in the country, oh and once in the Headmaster’s study when he decided to confide in me about the scandalous revelations in the papers, but that’s another story.

Lufthansa did it very well, with the staff trained to know a bit about what they were serving, and a specially printed serving mat with a space for each glass, and a brief commentary on what to expect alongside each glass. Superb!

A shame I still don’t like sherry much, but a good way to pass half an hour on board, and bring back the concept of the food/wine offering as an intrinsic part of the IFE.

BeckyBoop
    Participant

VK can you recomend any good wine tasting courses for novices in London? One person has recomended the Vinopolis.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls