200,000 residents sign "Berlin needs Tegel" petition

Back to Forum
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• AMcWhirter
    Participant

In January we carried a news piece regarding the “Berlin needs Tegel” campaign.

Ryanair to back ‘Berlin needs Tegel’ campaign

Well the news today is that 200,000 residents of Berlin have now signed the petition (30,000 more than is needed to secure a vote on the matter).

So now it’s over to the politicians.

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKBN1761KA

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

Well, given that the alternative is a completely dysfunctional Berlin Brandenburg (to the extent that the latter has yet to open years late and €gazillions over budget) which probably should be dismantled and rebuilt all over again, this is not exactly a surprise.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Also, Anthony, the yet-to-open Brandenburg airport will be overcrowded from day one (assuming it does open).

In 2016 Berlin’s two existing airports (both of which are scheduled to close when Brandenburg opens) handled 33 million passengers.

Brandenburg was designed to handle 27 million passengers.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I’m also all for keeping Tegel. I can’t help but feel Brandenburg was another political vanity project built as a monument to some politician!

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

Personally, together with its take on 1960s concrete architecture and its iconic control tower (straight out of numerous Cold War films set in pre-’89 Berlin), Tegel has a very particular style to it. It is also remarkably straightforward to get from check-in to the gate. My only gripe is that it was never connected to either the U-Bahn or S-Bahn but the X160 (or whatever it is) airport bus to downtown via Charlottenburg is extremely convenient. I’d be very happy to keep it.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls