Video Review: Malaysia Airlines A380 First Class

Back to Forum
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

• Anonymous

Malaysia Airlines have had a lot of bad luck recently, and are suffering from reduced passenger loads as a result. This is a shame, as they have made an interesting play with their new first class product installed on their A380s. Here’s a video review to share the first class experience they offer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6SgP2-Anqk

The seat doesn’t have doors to make a private cabin (like some carriers), but the fact there are only 8 seats in the cabin allows Malaysia to stagger the seats and give a decent amount of privacy. Compare and contrast with British Airways’ choice to install 14 seats in a similar amount of space!

This really demonstrates the dichotomy of travel today – some carriers are chasing customers by investing in their onboard product, whilst others are selling a poorer experience but enabling many more people to access it at a cheap rate by offering upgrades, either in cash / points or recurring ‘buy business get first’ promos.

Check-in at Heathrow was very efficient – although the first class desk was busy, a staff member walking around came straight over to us, took our passports and bags and came back a minute later with our boarding passes.

The lounge at Heathrow was great – certainly similar in quality to BA’s flagship Concorde Room and far better than BA’s First Class lounge in T3. There was a good choice of drinks, with food cooked to order & waiter service.

The food and drink was also excellent onboard – but there was no alcohol served on the ground, which was disappointing for a premium first class experience. After we took off, Dom Pérignon 2002 was quickly served, so all was forgiven!

The cabin was in great condition, and felt both private and open. We realised why this was – there were no overhead lockers; instead you had lots of storage around your seat & a personal wardrobe, and staff would take and retrieve your luggage when you needed it.

Overall, this was a fantastic flight and MAS First Class is highly recommended.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6SgP2-Anqk

We were lucky enough to fly MAS First Class on the return journey, enjoying a half-full cabin from KLIA to Heathrow:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJDwYbCGTso

The first class lounge was completely quiet and virtually deserted – there was nothing to complain about, it just had no atmosphere and was like sitting in an empty home. Hopefully this is much better when there’s more passengers, but overall we much preferred the Heathrow one.

The flight time let us try out a lot of food on the flight – and it was pretty good overall. Excellent standard starters of satay, caviar and smoked salmon; shame MAS aren’t able to overcome the difficulties of cooking good quality beef on a plane.

They did serve a traditional English Roast, complete with a Malaysian-made Yorkshire pudding – something you wouldn’t often see on British Airways!

The personal TVs were fantastic – absolutely massive, with a good choice of programming including live views from the external cameras on the A380

Despite MAS’s difficulties, they are well worth seeking out if you can fly on their A380 First Class.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJDwYbCGTso

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Hello NiceTravelAdventures

Thanks for the reports. One thing you forget to mention was how many passengers occupied first class on the outward flight ?

It will be interesting to see what happens next year when BA launches non-stop flights to KL. Will MAS retain one of its A380 flights from LHR, I wonder, or will it be switched to AMS ?

Note sure if you know, but in Australia MAS is trying to incentivise travel agents by rewarding them with Rolex watches and free tickets when they book MAS.

http://www.themalaysianinsider.com/malaysia/article/mas-offers-travel-agents-rolex-watches-free-trips-in-bid-to-boost-ticket-sa

MrMichael
    Participant

BA starting non stop flights to KL after over ten years so soon after the two MH catastrophies stinks of taking advantage of the situation to me. Maybe I am wrong and this is a genuine part of BA’s strategy, in which case they should have delayed it in the name of decency. If they are taking advantage of peoples reluctance to book MH then they should hang their heads in shame.

I am not one of those on here regularly kicking BA, in fact I like BA and like their service. In this instance wether by design or coincidence, for me, they have it wrong.

christopheL
    Participant

I fully agree with Mr Michael
    Howewer, the MH experience and the BA experience are very different whih means that if fares

christopheL
    Participant

Howewer, the MH experience and the BA experience are very different whih means that if fares

christopheL
    Participant

christopheL
    Participant

christopheL
    Participant

christopheL
    Participant

@AMcWhirter There were 5 of us on the outbound flight.

It looks like BA will be getting the inbound slot for their KL service from MAS, as it lands before 6am. These slots are so incredibly precious it is doubtful they’ll be swapping with an existing BA service. Whether this means MAS will get a later BA slot, or just forego one of their rotations I do not know. Hopefully MAS have been smart enough to lease rather then sell the slot.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls