United Express CRJ 700

Back to Forum
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

• Anonymous

For the second time within a few days the distance between downtown DC and IAD was achieved in around 30 minutes, which is fair compensation for the many times I've sat in stationery traffic between the two concerned about my fate. Despite having checked in on line and being in possession of boarding passes we had to have these reissued after completing a lengthy set of questions on the screen at the counter. Fortunately as we were travelling in F we didn't need to pay nearly 50 dollars for our heavy cases. After reasonably speedy fast track security we were on a people mover touring the apron en route to the D concourse with good close up views of the parked aircraft. The D concourse is a fairly gloomy place as US airports go and I believe originally only intended to be a temporary building – not a place to linger. As I don't have any status with *A and the only Priority Pass lounges are at A & B ( a ride away), we made do with a dingy and overpriced restaurant rather than pay 50 dollars each for the United Lounge. Remember domestic F in the US doesn't include lounge access.

Boarding commenced in good time to allow for an on time departure and was downstairs and on to the tarmac where a number of CRJ-700s were lined up. On boarding I double checked with the co-pilot who was greeting passengers that we were on the right one, as the Pittsburgh flight was next door, an we certainly didn't want to go there! The pilot was friendly and assured us that he didn't either.

Shortly after taking our seats we were offered a beverage by one of the F/As. My teenage daughter was particularly taken with her finger tattoo, white nail polish and good two inches of dark roots. Mesa Airlines, who were operating this flight for United Express, clearly don't have a grooming manager. We were also amused by the fact that she was simultaneously greeting passengers while texting on her mobile phone which she had concealed in a drawer in the galley. Miss Hermes reminded her parents that this was simply about multi-tasking, and anyway she was so friendly we didn't mind. The boarding process also gave us an opportunity to notice how filthy the cabin was – potato chips all over the floor!?

Once the door was closed nothing happened and we were advised of a technical issue with an on board computer. Fortunately it was resolved within minutes and paper work/releases sorted by the F/A who despite appearances seemed to be completely on top of what was going on.

Once in the climb we were offered a further round of drinks, this time in glasses, as well as sweet and savoury snacks and bananas from a basket. The F/A checked on our glasses several times, between checking her phone.

In slightly over one hour we commenced a smooth decent into Charleston, sweeping in past a line of 787s outside the Boeing plant, and a strange looking Dreamlifter. As we waited to deplane, the friendly F/A asked us about our travel plans and sent us cheerily on our way.

At the time of booking the cheapest fares were actually in F. Although there's not much on board service, the priority baggage, waiving of excess charges, priority checkin and comfortable 3 across seating with generous seat pitch made it worth the small premium.

Review courtesy of Seatplans.com. Original review by user Hermes1964 can be found here

openfly
    Participant

I think you might find that the iPhone is company issue with all the relevant company/passenger info being loaded…..as with other airlines giving their crews eg BA an iPad. A smaller handier messager.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls