Royal Jordanian, 777 out, Dreamliner return

Back to Forum
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

• Anonymous

DavidGordon10
    Participant

This is only a brief review – but to bring opinions of RJ up to date.

I was in Amman for a very brief visit, and the agency sending me there paid only for a low-level economy fare. On arriving at LHR, I went straight to the RJ ticket desk, and asked about the cost to upgrade – “£480” came as the answer, quick as a flash.

Well worth it. This was outbound on a 777: excellent lie-flat seat, fine wine, good food, charming cabin crew. A nice touch with the food was that main courses were served from large serving portions, this was not an individual portion already pre-plated and heated. You could choose how much rice, less chicken, more vegetables, and so on.

On the return – same routine, straight to the desk, how much for an upgrade? “500 Jordanian Dinars”. A little more complicated this time as C was fully booked, but I was sent to the (very good) business lounge in the wonderful Amman airport, and the lounge staff could then check for no-shows, and I was put in one of those.

The return was in a 787. Much the same seat and food and wine, but better IFE (not that I normally use IFE much, but the music was good). Excellent service again.

All in all, very good value for money. Two small notes on Amman airport. First, it seems to be as the architect intended it to be – not wrecked by stupid internal changes and turning it into just a shopping mall. Second, on arrival, taxi services are tightly regulated. An official asks your destination, gives you a slip of paper with the official fare on it, and that is what it costs – a welcome contrast to many middle Eastern and Asian airports.

FivestarFred
    Participant

RJ operates a 777?

Great review. Have been meaning to try them for a while now especially on the 787.

Discovery-Bay
    Participant

It was probably a A340 if it had lie-flat seats.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I think it was most likely a 330 on the outbound David. Not sure if they have any 777’s. Mind you after a few glasses of wine it’s an easy mistake to make 😉

DavidGordon10
    Participant

Yes everyone, a correction – it was a 330 or a 340. Sorry.

It was good but the 787 was just excellent.

KSHaggag
    Participant

hahaha..exactly ,I was just about to question my knowledge as I know RJ never had any 777s .
    I am sooooooooo excited to hear about your experience DavidGordon10 with RJ !..I am gearing up to fly their 787 to London soon .
    Just to add that RJ seems to be a very civilized airline : the feedback I heard about their new Crown Lounge at AMM airport is just excitingly good !! Moreover ,the airline has a bidding system online to allow you to upgrade to Business Class in advance should there be any seats available .It is called ” GoCrown ” initiative .I just sent them ( to their email address ) a query on some technical points related to the matter and let me say that I was awed by their efficiency and enhanced sense of customer service .Their reply was swift ,prompt ,precise and professional.
    Chapeau to RJ ; am flying them soon !!!!

KSHaggag
    Participant

hahaha..exactly ,I was just about to question my knowledge as I know RJ never had any 777s .
    I am sooooooooo excited to hear about your experience DavidGordon10 with RJ !..I am gearing up to fly their 787 to London soon .
    Just to add that RJ seems to be a very civilized airline : the feedback I heard about their new Crown Lounge at AMM airport is just excitingly good !! Moreover ,the airline has a bidding system online to allow you to upgrade to Business Class in advance should there be any seats available .It is called ” GoCrown ” initiative .I just sent them ( to their email address ) a query on some technical points related to the matter and let me say that I was awed by their efficiency and enhanced sense of customer service .Their reply was swift ,prompt ,precise and professional.
    Chapeau to RJ ; am flying them soon !!!!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

David, the 330 has 2 engines and the 340 has 4 of them. Last time i flew on the Swiss A340 I counted 8 engines, 4 on each wing, but the sweet desert wine they served was excellent and having imbibed 3 glasses and a G&T before could have explained a case of double vision.

But your report, thanks, has made me consider RJ for an upcoming trip to Amman.

JohnHarper
    Participant

RJ was an airline I had no reason to try until I went to Amman last year and although it was only a short hop from IST I will say I was most impressed.

I had always thought them to be a also ran but actually they are pretty good with an interesting offering, pleasant crews and a proper C cabin even on their Embraers. I was on an E195 and an A320 and both looked and felt as good as new though both were several years old.

I’ll certainly use them again without hesitation should the need arise.

KSHaggag
    Participant

Hello LuganoPirate ,

On RJ s three weekly flights from Geneva and Zurich to Amman with the A319/A320 ,their Business Class cabin is much better and more spacious than any other European carrier on the similar type of aircraft;it is a real Business cabin with big legroom ,IFE ,and great food and service .It is definitely worth your money .
    For BA Lovers ,RJ is a Oneworld member so you have all the reasons in the world to fly them even onwards to Dubai ,Bangkok,Kuala Lumpur ,Jakarta ,Hong Kong and Guangzhou .

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls