Qatar Airways A330-200 (228 seats) First

Back to Forum
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

• Anonymous

Doha (DOH) – Heathrow (LHR)

My taxi took me to the main terminal in Doha and this mistake was compounded by there being a first class check-in in the non-premium terminal. After what seemed like 15 minutes to check me in (1 pax, one bag, one sector) I was advised there was just enough time to go to the premium terminal – 2 hrs 30 minutes!

So I trotted out the door, round the corner and into the premium terminal where the check-in does look nicer. There is a limited duty free here but by all accounts the rest of the airport is awful so maybe just as bad. The lounge is pleasant (empty mid afternoon) with waiter service to your table. I didn’t want a sit down meal and that being the case there wasn’t much in the way of snacks or nibbles that I could see though there was an excellent sushi bar.

I avoided the communal (though gender segregated!) jacuzzi but did have a whirl on the massage chair in the “relaxation zone” complete with trickling waterfall.

Boarding involves a very discreet personal approach by staff rather than an announcement though I hate to think how they handle that if and when the lounge is heaving. Since DOH (at this point) still has no jetties the boarding from the premium terminal is through a line of gates each just giving onto a bus stand for business or a limo for first, though you may well expect to share a limo which I did.

Although there was little about which I could specifically complain, the cabin feels a bit old. The seat is very comfortable to sit in but once flat there is a definite ridge at the knee which could be very tiresome. On a window seat, at least, there are acres of storage space in window side lockers and equally as much for laying things down in flight.

The crew were very welcoming and seemed very proud to be part of One World, recognising their “cousins” like me. The only hitch was that they provide beautiful (re-usable) menus in a leather binder but it is already tucked away in your seat pocket and since the binder is plain black there is no hint that that is your menu. Hence when I was asked what I’d like I looked at the flight attendant blankly and then had to speed-read it.

The wines are superb (Krug, Yquem) and they also serve caviar. Unfortunately I opted for the chicken which was dry.

The IFE screen is almost embarassingly small in this day and age. It is even on an arm to bring it closer to your eyes to make it look bigger!

Afternoon tea (at 9pm!) was rather poor.

We landed about on time though the bags took a long time (no class priority). Arriving at LHR at 10 pm meant I strolled through immigration but these days transport to and from T4 is not nice.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls