QF A380 engine explosion ex SIN

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 93 total)

• Anonymous

JohnPhelanAustralia
    Participant

The first recorded major incident for an A380 – QF 32, departing SIN, suffered an incident today where the number 2 engine appears to have exploded inflight, showering debris over a small Indonesian village. Aircraft returned safely to SIN, minus a section of the engine and cowling, and with penetration damage to the port wing. No injuries. Great pics available

http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel-news/qantas-jet-engine-fails-witnesses-tell-of-hearing-explosion-20101104-17f49.html

Airframe appears to be VH-OQA, “Nancy-Bird Walton” which was QF’s first A380 (and also the one that grounded me at LAX last year because of an engine problem!!)

JohnPhelanAustralia
    Participant

QF has now suspended all A380 services. The aircraft involved had recently returned from its first C-check at Lufthansa Technik.

JackyLek
    Participant

Seems like Qantas is the only A380-company that have many and serious problem with this aircraft. EK and SQ only have minor problems but not like this . And with the 747 over Manila …. many episods now

MartynSinclair
    Participant

an extremely serious incident, but controlled sufficiently for a safe evacuation without the need for the emergency chutes (from the pictures I have so far seen).

Most importantly of all, all passengers and crew walked off safe and sound. Thank G-d.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

BABenji
    Participant

Naturally I echo the sentiment of Mr Sinclair but this recent record of major incidents is quite remarkable. What is it about Qantas??? I can think of four now in recent months/years.

I hope they aren’t grounded for too long. I love the J class hard product on their A380 (most comfortable bed in the sky).

Binman62
    Participant

a serious incident certainly (probably broken fan blade which should have been contained by engine housing) but I do think grounding the fleet is serious over reaction by Qantas and looks like it was done without reference to either airbus, rolls royce or SQ. SQ flying with same engine type, so one would expect an industry wide response with full support of airbus, rolls etc. How Qantas can re launch the fleet with full public confidence will be a major issue for them given their knee jerk reaction, the fact that it was just maintainined and that they have an unfortunate recent incident record.
    (Post edited as originally written on hand held device.)

Tristans
    Participant

Bloody Hell. I was on that plane from LA QF12 leaving last Sunday October 31st. Not many places to land between La and Sydney,

craigwatson
    Participant

Tristans – it does not really matter, it could have made the whole journey on the 3 remaining engines anyways ( although they still would have diverted as a precaution, but not to much of a worry even if it was hours away )

pomerol
    Participant

Binman62

A serious incident it certainly was, but, I think your criticism of Qantas is a little premature, Qantas would have based their decision to ground the A380 fleet, on all the available information they had before them (we have virtually none), you may well be right on the probable cause, but if you are it would be certainly a fluke, untill we know the exact cause any criticism is just wild speculation.

Binman62
    Participant

Pomerol…. The point I was trying to make was that QF appear to have done this without the support or backing of either Rolls Royce, as engine manufactures, or Airbus who make the airframe. The pictures of the damage seems to suggest that it was an uncontained engine failure with debris puncturing the wing and as such puncturing the fuel tank. This makes it an exceptionally serious matter but not simply for QF.
    It is of course entirely a matter for Qantas if they choose to ground a fleet but it sends out really mixed messages to the travelling public and can errode confidence. What is it QF knows that SQ do not? being just one question.

In any event, even a catastophic failure such as this, is not uncommon and has not lead to the grounding of entire fleets.

Are QF engineering procedures at Frankfurt (where it was recently maintained) now in doubt? Is it safe to fly SQ A380 or indeed any A380 or is it only those with RR engines manufactured in Derby that are an issue.?

To ground a fleet is a serious step and when it is done on the basis of a single incident and so soon after it happened, then (IMHO) that is a serious over reaction as it could not possibly have been made with all the salient facts to hand and has not taken into account the recovery process which will now be required to rebuild confidence in both Qantas and the QF A380 fleet in particular. If it leads to the grounding of all RR powered A380 then QF may just dodge the bullet of bad publicity but I cannot imagine that senior people in Derby and Tolouse will be very happy with an Irishman in Sydney today.

pomerol
    Participant

Binman62

I am sorry, the only thing you have said that I can agree with is (This makes it an an exceptionally serious matter), the rest is all conjecture and speculation.

I can not imagine Qantas taking such a measure, In a knee jerk reaction, the potential cost of this must be frightening.

We will find out soon enough, what the true cause is.

Potakas
    Participant

Singapore just grounded its a380s too

Binman62
    Participant

Have just heard from a collegue on SQA380 at LHR due to depart at 12.30 that they have been delayed. Initially told it was IFE problem but now being told connected to QF incident.

Update from Bloomberg

Nov. 4 (Bloomberg) — Singapore Airlines Ltd. delayed flights with its Airbus SAS A380 superjumbos after Rolls-Royce Group Plc said the model’s Trent 900 engines should be checked following a mid-flight explosion on a Qantas Airways Ltd. plane.

Singapore Airlines, which has 11 A380s, has been advised by Rolls and Airbus to carry out “precautionary technical checks,” spokesman Nicholas Ionides said in an e-mail. Deutsche Lufthansa AG, the only other carrier with superjumbos powered by Rolls turbines, said its aircraft are operating services as normal

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 93 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls