Passports issued in 2006 no longer valid in USA?

Back to Forum
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• Anonymous

Bath_VIP
    Participant

If you have a UK passport issued between April & October 2006 then according to this article, you will not be allowed into the States from now on.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/news/millions-of-british-travellers-face-refusal-to-enter-us-after-pa/

Can anyone confirm? My passport was issued in June 2006 and I have a trip to the States planned for early August. I was originally going to renew after that trip but it now looks like I will have to do it now. Luckily I have no overseas trips planned before then.

craigwatson
    Participant

When does your passport expire? I thought they were only valid for 10 years?

Bath_VIP
    Participant

Feb 2017

WillieWelsh
    Participant

Passports are indeed valid for 10 years however passports issued in the UK between April and October 2006 do not have a chip in them, all passports issued after that do.

New legislation in the US requires that passports have chips as of now so if you have one issued before November 2006 it is of no use for travel to the US.

SimonS1
    Participant

Passports can be valid for up to 10 years and 9 months depending on the the circumstances at renewal.

RichardB
    Participant

Passports can be valid longer than 10 years, they might be valid 10 years and 9 months

“When you renew your passport, the time left on your existing passport is added to your new one, up to a maximum of 9 months.

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

Hi Bath VIP

That is correct – if you don’t have a passport with the Chip symbol on the front you’ll need to renew.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Yes Bath, you will need a new pp, but those remaining months of validity will be added to the new one.

The Americans announced this some time ago though perhaps it didn’t gain the widespread media coverage it needed. However airlines and travel agents should have informed their clients.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls