London Gatwick North Terminal Monorail to Close from September 2009

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)

• Anonymous

VintageKrug
    Participant

The free public transport monorail, which links Gatwick’s South and North terminals, will be shut from September 28th 2009 until Spring 2010.

The system has proved increasingly unreliable in recent months, with several groups of passengers having been evacuated mid-journey.

The first new track is scheduled to open on April 28, 2010, with limited service. The second track will open in July 2010.

Maintenance work will be carried out on the line during this period and a free replacement bus service will ferry passengers between the two terminals.

This will impact users of the North Terminal, particularly British Airways, some Easyjet and Emirates passengers as well as Qatar Airways, Nationwide, Easy Jet, Thomson/First Choice, Malev, SN Brussels, Comet, Air Namibia, Delta and Oman Air.

You should plan to leave *at least *an extra 15 minutes to transit the short distance between the terminals.

Might be wise to consider door to door taxi drop off, driving and parking for shorter trips or an overnight in the Sofitel to avoid such a rush….though beware the link bridge to the Sofitel from the Terminal is also closed and is being demolished this week.

Nothing on the BAA Gatwick website about all this, natch.

DJ_London
    Participant

The taxis (Checker Cars) at Gatwick are extremely expensive… A typical fare from Crawley Town Centre to the airport is GBP 7.00 with any firm but with Checker it is GBP 15.00 double… I would advise you not to take a taxi… From terminal to terminal (if they’ll do the trip – I suspect not, as at Heathrow) it will be around the same price.

From outside the South terminal (where the Gatwick overland train station is) you will find buses 10, 20, 100, 200 plus others that will take you to the north terminal for GBP 1.20 or use the free shuttle bus that LGW will put on for monorail users.

VintageKrug
    Participant

I don’t think a terminal to terminal cab would work as the drivers have to pay a fee to BAA to queue up, and are royally cheesed off if you ask them to do a local job.

Hopefully, the replacement bus service will be efficient, modern and spacious. On the other hand it is being organised by BAA.

So what’s the betting it is infrequent, overcrowded and resourced with surly drivers in old, polluting and dirty buses.

We shall wait and see…..

FrequentTraveller
    Participant

I frequently fly in and out of Gatwick North Terminal, using the train to get to and return from the airport. Having to leave an extra 15 minutes to make a bus transfer between the South and North Terminals is going to considerably increase my overall return journey time.

When flying in and catching the train, more than half the time I need to run (or very fast walk) through the terminal in order to reach the railway station in time. With a bus transfer I might as well forget any hope of making my connection. With an hour between trains to my final destination, it is a long wait for the next train. 🙁

chetan02
    Participant

hi,

I would recommend Hummingbird Cars for London Airport Taxi Cab Transfer Service their link http://www.airportransfers.net/.

Highly recommended

Thanks

VintageKrug
    Participant

No bendy busses planned on this service, and the replacement busses pictured in the posters looked pretty prehistoric…..

NTarrant
    Participant

According to BAA website it says that buses will depart every 3 minutes between 0400 and 1800, then every 6 minutes thereafter. Departing from the upper level

http://www.gatwickairport.com/portal/page/Gatwick%5EGeneral%5EAirport+information%5ETerminal+transit+update/2835f112a1413210VgnVCM10000036821c0a____/448c6a4c7f1b0010VgnVCM200000357e120a____/

It is unlikely that the buses will be “prehistoric” BAA has a policy of requiring a certain specification such as minimum age, emmissions etc. It does depend on who has won the contract to operate the service. You never know they may be bendi buses displaced from the Red Arrow routes in London which is about to happen very soon.

They have to do the work on the Transit and a bus is the only option, a pain as it may be for all of us, its not for ever and the drivers might be quite nice! The thought of using a taxi is a bit silly and going for the normal service bus would take even more time.

NTarrant
    Participant

This is not the horror that it was made out to be. I arrived on platform 3 at 0653, followed the very clear and many signs to the bus stop which was clear and staffed well. Helpers at hand to assist with placing luggage on racks if required, plenty of leg room on modern specifically livered vehicles.

What is good is that the bus drops you at departures. I was collecting my boarding pass from the machine at 0704.

NTarrant
    Participant

Returned between North and South on Thursday lunchtime and quite busy but time from domestic baggage hall to South Terminal took just on 14 minutes. The signs were not as clear as in the south terminal but do say where you have to go clearly. The only potential problem was that whilst the signs direct you to the lifts, if you have only light luggage and go on the escalator there was no sign at the top. I mentioned this to a member of staff at the south terminal.

This evening hoping that my suggestion had been listened to, found that the Transit was operating, most likely due to an accident on the M23 which blocked most of the roads. Even the captain on my BA flight mentioned the traffic whilst taxing to the stand.

nadaaaraj
    Participant

Why not try the taxi firm called http://www.croydoncars.com they offer fantastic deals to and from London Gatwick airport to Heathrow airport and all over London. They are professional people offering reliable service

DJ_London
    Participant

The closure of the monorail at Gatwick is causing considerable inconvenience and delays for passengers transiting between the terminals. The transit process does take longer due to everyone having to pile on a bus. Think of a car-park transfer and the commotion caused by people piling on with their luggage. It is the same here. Do allow extra time for your transfer.

chetan02
    Participant

Hello,

I got a quick usefull information for people travelling to london Heathrow Airport. If any wants London Airport Taxi Cab Transfer Service than they can try Hummingbird Cars http://www.heathrow-airport-taxi.net

They also provide 5 % Discount on all Return Journeys also.

Thanks

VintageKrug
    Participant

I think this hummingbird chatter is spam

VintageKrug
    Participant

BT is reporting that this will open “a month early” in July, and yet according to the press releases at the time of the suspension, it was stated by BAA that the first track would come online in April 2010, with the second track live in July.

By my reckoning, running the first service for the public in July makes that at least three months LATER than planned….and even if it IS July that’s what was originally stated, NOT a month early….

?????

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls